Punting Sitation

ChiGopher

ChiGopher
Reaction score
I was among many surprised/disappointed with the punting last night. Punting and field position seem to be something that Kill had mentioned as a points of emphasis. For the most part, Kill has done a decent job moving the needle on these little things he's emphasized, but the staff clearly has it's work cut out here.

After Schwerman was yanked after his bad shank in the first half, and the box score tells me something called Christian Eldred averaged 36.8 yards on the last five punts of the night.

Didn't I read that Peter Mortell won the starting job out of camp?

Why don't the coaching team ask Rhys Lloyd to come and teach these punters? If these punters can learn a thing or two( in both technical and psychological) from Lloyd, it will be good for the team. I'm realistic and I'm not expecting another Rhys Lloyd who is larger-than-life figure.

In all fairness to Eldred, his average was a little skewed because he had to punt several times into their redzone area.

But you're absolutely right, this is something that has to be fixed. Those shanks are killers.

Why don't the coaching team ask Rhys Lloyd to come and teach these punters? If these punters can learn a thing or two( in both technical and psychological) from Lloyd, it will be good for the team. I'm realistic and I'm not expecting another Rhys Lloyd who is larger-than-life figure.

He was kicking for UNLV last night. sheeesh.

He was kicking for UNLV last night. sheeesh.

Calm down. I'm just saying it. If things are not working very well for you, you've nothing to lose by seeking advice from someone who used to do well in the game. As I said it can be either technical or psychological and just a minor correction can go long way.

The punter situation is confusing. The last open practice scrimmage Mortell was clearly the guy who made the wow! punts. The coaches see these guys every day. And like ChiGopher said I thought Mortell won the job? Now he doesn't get a chance?

Picking anybody in warmups is a very sketchy way to do things. How many times in basketball could you not miss in warmups and not make a shot in the game or vice versa? Warmups are an indication of nothing. Sometimes you can get a read on the preparedness of a whole team but it depends on the group. Others will fool you.

Eldred punts a very wierd ball. UNLV totally mishandled one. I think that's his strength...kicking a funky rotation punt. Gophers mishandled his in practice too.

Calm down. I'm just saying it. If things are not working very well for you, you've nothing to lose by seeking advice from someone who used to do well in the game. As I said it can be either technical or psychological and just a minor correction can go long way.

images

19, I don't get your picture joke. I think it went over my head.

Did anyone happen to notice the punter for UNLV? His roll-out style when he punted was reminiscent of Rhys Loyd.

Did anyone happen to notice the punter for UNLV? His roll-out style when he punted was reminiscent of Rhys Loyd.

No I didn't at all. I wish I can see that again. Yes, your joke was truly over my head.

The Aussie had two punts inside UNLV's 20, and still average 36.8. He is my kicker. Oh sure you would love to have Ray Guy back there, but Elered I think is left footed, has a different stroke to the ball, and I will bet someone will mis handle one of his punts.

The Aussie had two punts inside UNLV's 20, and still average 36.8. He is my kicker. Oh sure you would love to have Ray Guy back there, but Elered I think is left footed, has a different stroke to the ball, and I will bet someone will mis handle one of his punts.

Didn't he kick out of our end zone? It was a fair catch ball, I think...heck of a punt.

Your right, he has been kicking with his left foot. Imagine what he could do if he was using his right foot. I would show if I knew how to draw a picture on this thread like Station 19. One of the skills Elered is supposed to possess is the ability to accurately place to kicks inside the 20 yard line. That is what you have to do in Aussie football. I also think he has reasonable distance but I don't know if it is anything exceptional. My take on him, based on no knowledge, is that he still very much in a learning mode and needs to get more comfortable with the strange shape of American footballs. It will be interesting to see how he progresses or doesn’t progress during the season.

If you stand or watch a punter from behind, the ball will "hook" and the spin of the ball makes it areodynamic like a tight spiral. The point or apogee it can turn over. Now fielding a punt from a right footer the ball could be comming left to right and the spin counter clockwise. If that sounds confusing, the left footer reverses everything. Add to that he could have a knack for the lost art of coffin kicking. Making their offense go
90 plus yards. And getting one off from your own endzone and yielding a fair catch? Priceless!

Eldred punted fine.

Schwerman's shank was Oreseske-esque.

I don't really mind seeing Kill pick during warm ups. If something was clear cut in practice, Kill wouldn't have waited for warmups to choose his punter. As far as the warming up in basketball analogy. . .I don't think it's apt. Kill wanted to put more pressure on these guys and he did by choosing the punter on game day. They had to come out in warmups and punt the ball well, the pressure was on in that situation. As far as warming up during basketball, there is absolutely no pressure.

The entire reason for choosing during warmups is to try to make the decision based on who punts the best with a little pressure.

Eldred punted fine.

Schwerman's shank was Oreseske-esque.

I don't really mind seeing Kill pick during warm ups. If something was clear cut in practice, Kill wouldn't have waited for warmups to choose his punter. As far as the warming up in basketball analogy. . .I don't think it's apt. Kill wanted to put more pressure on these guys and he did by choosing the punter on game day. They had to come out in warmups and punt the ball well, the pressure was on in that situation. As far as warming up during basketball, there is absolutely no pressure.

The entire reason for choosing during warmups is to try to make the decision based on who punts the best with a little pressure.

Agree, Bob. Another "over analyze" a non-parallel comparison.

Eldred had a fine game. His average has nothing to do with it. A long punt from the end zone (FC) and two inside the 20. Did exactly as he was asked.

PiPress: Gophers football: Freshman gets a leg up on punting job

"He's been good in practice, but he never kicked in a game," Kill said about the decision to start Schwerman over Eldred. "(Pete) Mortell punted pretty good (in practice), but he had a little bit of a leg problem last week. So we were being pretty careful with him. But I like what I've seen out of Christian. Plus, he can do some other things we didn't show in the game."

http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci_21452225/gophers-football-freshman-gets-leg-up-punting-job

Go Gophers!!

I was right about the punter in July...

I don't mean to brag (well, maybe a little bit) but when you are as wrong as I am about football I have to call attention to one of the times I got it right - he didn't start but he had the majority of punts and did well. Now if Devon Wright can come through I'll pat myself on the back with both hands :)

http://www.forums.gopherhole.com/bo...nder-the-radar-guy&highlight=australia+punter

Other things we didn't show in the game? Hhhmmmmmmmm - He did the pooch punts, so what else could/would a punter do??? Never mind. Probably just fantasy...

Top Bottom