Punt Returns

16FeetUnder

Section 238
Reaction score
I’ve been frustrated with the Gopher’s lack of punt returns this season, so I looked into the statistics. Currently, our opponents have punted 38 times and we only have attempted 3 returns. In nearly every punt that I’ve paid attention, our opponent’s gunners are unblocked and are free to destroy Bryant Allen if he does not call for a fair catch. With the emphasis on special teams, why is it that we can’t advance our field position more often?

Interestingly, 3 attempted returns is last place in D1A football, but our average per return (19.0 yards) is first place in D1A football.

16feetunder

funny you post this, I watched the replay of a couple of games last night and mentioned the exact same thing to my wife (who was not paying attention but was sitting in the room). It looked to me like we are only putting 1 blocker on each gunner, which is not going to get you a good return. For a good return or best chance a good return you need to put two blockers for each gunner. I can understand mixing it up occasionally but it seems we do this everytime. Good question for someone to ask a coach and find out the reason they do this.

We're probably near the top of the list for unfielded kickoffs, too. :D

funny you post this, I watched the replay of a couple of games last night and mentioned the exact same thing to my wife (who was not paying attention but was sitting in the room). It looked to me like we are only putting 1 blocker on each gunner, which is not going to get you a good return. For a good return or best chance a good return you need to put two blockers for each gunner. I can understand mixing it up occasionally but it seems we do this everytime. Good question for someone to ask a coach and find out the reason they do this.

Just a guess, but the reason for only having one blocker on each gunner is to help prevent the other team from running and converting a fake.

I understand that our punt return coverage play(s) aren't conducive to returns, but my bigger question is why not put Stoudemire on punt return as well? I haven't seen anything explosive (though, as was pointed out, we only have 3 examples) out of Allen, whereas every return by Troy seems to be one or two good blocks away from a TD.

Stoudamire does not have the best hands, and i don't think he fields punts very smoothly. You could see how much trouble he had with kick-offs a few weeks ago, and punts are much harder. I don't think the coaches want to risk it.

He's great when he has the ball in his hands, but getting it there........isn't as easy as you might think.

Punt Cov.

Just a guess, but the reason for only having one blocker on each gunner is to help prevent the other team from running and converting a fake.

On every punt? Why would any team college or pro ever put two blockers on the gunners if it was so easy to run or convert a fake?

Let's put it this way: With fair catches, we've avoided 35 potential turnovers! I hate punt returns. They bother me as much blocked field goals returned by Jamal Harris.

I understand that our punt return coverage play(s) aren't conducive to returns, but my bigger question is why not put Stoudemire on punt return as well? I haven't seen anything explosive (though, as was pointed out, we only have 3 examples) out of Allen, whereas every return by Troy seems to be one or two good blocks away from a TD.

We gave Troy a chance to try returning punts last season. He muffed the punt. Catching punts is a lot harder than catching kicks and some players struggle to get in the right position and make the catch.

And Bryant Allen is actually a very explosive player--I'd bet on Bryant to win a foot race vs. Troy. You probably haven't seen anything explosive out of him because he has only returned 1 or 2 kicks and I think he only has 1 catch on the season (post route from our own 5 vs. OSU where he broke 1 tackle and picked up ~20 yards).

On every punt? Why would any team college or pro ever put two blockers on the gunners if it was so easy to run or convert a fake?

I'm sure in some instances.

You could also say it puts more pressure on the punter. Even though we haven't blocked a punt this year, having two more defensive players on the line of scrimmage makes the punter kick the ball faster, often resulting in a worse punt.

You see it all the time: when the punter kicks the ball, there is no one within 10 yards of him and all the defensive players are running down field to set up their blocks. I don't understand why a punter just doesn't run with it.

Again, I have no idea why they do it that way, just throwing out ideas.

Personally, I think it is rare for college teams to double team the gunner - many teams that don't are much more successful at holding them up than us as we seem to just run down the field with them. And I don't think it is always just the gunners we have struggled with, I've seen 3,4,5 guys standing around Allen as he makes the catch at times (not just pouch punts either).

Punt Returns make me nervous. (Knock on Wood)....i'll gladly take a season of no muffed punts and limited returns.

Top Bottom