punt into the endzone

Go4Family

Reaction score
Can someone who was watching on TV tell,was the ball touched by the Michigan player who we all thought should have been called for a safety? Sorry for the grammar it's 7am and I'm still pissed about the refs.

Can someone who was watching on TV tell,was the ball touched by the Michigan player who we all thought should have been called for a safety? Sorry for the grammar it's 7am and I'm still pissed about the refs.

It doesn't matter if he touched it or not. It only would have been a safety if he caught it and ran it into the end zone before getting tackled.

No, you couldn't tell... The assumption by the announcers was it did touch him because why else would he go back to get it.

The ref they brought on TV said it was called correctly, he didn't possess the ball in the field of play so it wasn't a safety. Which on one hand makes sense, but on the other... If it doesn't matter that he touched it, shouldn't ball have been blown dead for a touchback the moment it hit the end zone?

From what I read, he could have run around with it all day in the endzone and wouldn't have mattered, since it was the punt that carried the ball into the endzone. Seems like it's a weird rule, but that is the rule.

I actually had a different question on that play... The Michigan player's left foot was clearly out of bounds when he made the turn to the end zone. Then he went back and grabbed the ball. I didn't think a player who went out of bounds could be the first player to play the ball, at least not that soon after going out of bounds. Do I have that wrong?

I actually had a different question on that play... The Michigan player's left foot was clearly out of bounds when he made the turn to the end zone. Then he went back and grabbed the ball. I didn't think a player who went out of bounds could be the first player to play the ball, at least not that soon after going out of bounds. Do I have that wrong?

I noticed that too, but haven't heard it addressed. But, why torture ourselves with more reasons why the refs helped out Michigan?

No, you couldn't tell... The assumption by the announcers was it did touch him because why else would he go back to get it.

The ref they brought on TV said it was called correctly, he didn't possess the ball in the field of play so it wasn't a safety. Which on one hand makes sense, but on the other... If it doesn't matter that he touched it, shouldn't ball have been blown dead for a touchback the moment it hit the end zone?

This is not directed just at you but it baffles me how many people have trouble with stuff like this. The fact that he touched it makes it a live ball meaning if he had not gone back and recovered it and we would have it would have been points for us (only thing I am not positive on in that situation is if it would have been a TD or safety). However the fact that he just touched and didn't possess the ball in the field of play means the play can still end in out touchback.

You see this far more often on kickoffs where the ball might touch someone in the field of play but still end up as a touchback because he didn't control it. Control is the key aspect of the play.

Predictably the focus has now been shifted to how the refs were out to get us and screwed us out of the victory. Really is shocking how everytime we lose a close one it was because the refs were working for the other side....

My question too...

Sounds like a dumb rule. The ball is live in the field of play if he touches it but dead in the endzone? College Football man...

I think they did? I saw one ref waving his hand at the goal line after the ball went through.

Force of the punt put the ball in the end zone. End of story.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

This is not directed just at you but it baffles me how many people have trouble with stuff like this. The fact that he touched it makes it a live ball meaning if he had not gone back and recovered it and we would have it would have been points for us (only thing I am not positive on in that situation is if it would have been a TD or safety). However the fact that he just touched and didn't possess the ball in the field of play means the play can still end in out touchback.
You see this far more often on kickoffs where the ball might touch someone in the field of play but still end up as a touchback because he didn't control it. Control is the key aspect of the play.

Predictably the focus has now been shifted to how the refs were out to get us and screwed us out of the victory. Really is shocking how everytime we lose a close one it was because the refs were working for the other side....

Some good questions out there ...

If he touches it and doesn't go back and get and we recover its a touchdown for us. He needed to go get it which he did refs got it right. U answered the rest correct need to have possession which he clearly didn't.

Yes you guys are correct he did step out of bounds but that doesn't matter. You can not be first to touch on a PASS that is a NFL rule..high school u can not sure what college is.... This was a kick... Just to have both feet on the ground inbounds before he can touch again which clearly he did as he ran after the ball inbounds. Refs were fine in this situation.

Sounds like a dumb rule. The ball is live in the field of play if he touches it but dead in the endzone? College Football man...

Would be the same at all levels high school, college and NFL force of the kick took it to the endzone not a player. Punt or kick same ruling.

This is one of those where HS and NCAA differ. When touched in HS it's still dead once it breaks plane of GL. in NCAA he has to go recover it. Kickoff are different in all three levels. HS dead when breaks plane. College dead when hits ground in end zone. NFL, dead when player retrieves and downs it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

What is the NCAA rule on stepping out of bounds and being the first to touch the ball? I am not sure, and I think I may only know the NFL rule.

This all goes back to that fact that most people don't understand the basic rules of the game.

A muff that goes into the end zone (due to the momentum of the kick) is a live ball. However, since it was not in the player's possession (yes, a muff is not possession-all levels of football) in the field of play, recovery in the end zone is not a safety. Possession is control. However, touching the ball does create a loose ball situation in which either team is allowed to recover the ball.

If another Michigan player recovered, it is still a touchback. If Minnesota recovers, its a touchdown.

If the player had possessed the ball, fumbled into the end zone, the result would have been a safety or touchdown.

Same at every level of football.

If the replay had shown that the Michigan player had not touched the kick, it would have been a touchback, as any punt into the end zone is dead in HS and college. Only in pro football can you return a punt from the end zone.

This all goes back to that fact that most people don't understand the basic rules of the game.

A muff that goes into the end zone (due to the momentum of the kick) is a live ball. However, since it was not in the player's possession (yes, a muff is not possession-all levels of football) in the field of play, recovery in the end zone is not a safety. Possession is control. However, touching the ball does create a loose ball situation in which either team is allowed to recover the ball.

If another Michigan player recovered, it is still a touchback. If Minnesota recovers, its a touchdown.

If the player had possessed the ball, fumbled into the end zone, the result would have been a safety or touchdown.

Same at every level of football.

If the replay had shown that the Michigan player had not touched the kick, it would have been a touchback, as any punt into the end zone is dead in HS and college. Only in pro football can you return a punt from the end zone.

I am not sure this is a "basic" rule of football.

Do you, or does anyone, know the college rule on stepping out of bounds and touching the ball in the end zone? I know in the NFL wherever the player touches the ball it becomes a penalty when the player touches the ball. In my opinion if it is the same as the NFL, the penalty would have occurred when he touched the ball in the end zone and any penalty that occurs in the end zone becomes a safety. Am I right or wrong?

They ruled muff, so it was a live ball when he touched it Gophers could have recovered it for a touchdown if Peppers had not realized he had touched it or gone after it and recovered it.
I thought once he recovered the ball he had to kneel it down and could not try and advance it or make a football move to run with it and run it out of the endzone, that is why many were confused and thought maybe it was a safety. Didn't matter, once he recovered the side judge had signaled touch-back because he didn't recover it and then lose it in the field of play, he never touched it out of bounds so the only rule it could have been called was a touch back because the force of the punt put it in the end zone. In this instance looked like the call was correct, once Peppers recovered the ball in the end-zone it was dead ball and a touch back, would not have mattered if he had beaten tackles and returned it a long ways once he got the ball it was a touch back. One side judge did throw his hat like Peppers went out of bounds, but again that was moot, once he is back in the field of play he can recover the ball, it's not like a pass or fumble in the field of play because rule is correct that he did not possess the football and never had possession so the out of bounds does not matter.
I thought the rule had interpretation, that the offensive player had to give him self up or kneel it down, but I guess he just has to recover it for it to be a dead ball after the touch back signal.

Top Bottom