pumped about the bank...tips for tailgating :)

wetgopherhole

Reaction score
wow...i haven't posted on here for awhile but damn the stadium looks amazing...thanks for posting all the pics everyone...been stuck down in iowa city for the past 3 years and the one thing that does rock about this town is kinick stadium...im so pumped minnesotans will get to experience the same thing...if you haven't been to an outdoor college football game with plenty of tailgating...well youre going to be in for a real treat...

my dad's got season tickets so i will defn be at the air force game--cannot wait

i do have some words of advice however...if you plan on tailgating early...don't drink too late on friday...it will defn ruin the experience...or you could try what we call the "tie it on" method which is to continue to party all friday night, don't sleep, hit the tailgating, and then the game...ahh, college...

also since minnesotans are not really known for their epic tailgating...i will pass along some of the major tailgating sports that you should practice before air force

1. Horseshoes--ahh, a classic...this has been around a long time...the goal of the sport is to ring the horseshoe around a metal spike...4 pts for a ringer...2 for a leaner...and 1 if you are within a length of a horseshoe from the spike...in recent years this has become an endangered sport however...perhaps its the difficulty of drunken people hammering a spike into the ground...or that you are throwing a heavy metal object toward drunken people and the horseshoes usually have a tendency smack people that aren't looking

2. Bags/Sacks--the gold standard of all tailgating games...this is the modern version of horseshoes (without the broken toes from horseshoes)...the idea is to throw the bag into or on the board--which has a giant hole in the middle of it--1 pt for on the board and 3 pts for in the hole...maybe the most common of all tailgating games...u will see this on the way to TCF

3. Rodeo Golf/Latter Golf--this game consists of 3 horizontal pcv pipes in which you try to throw 2 golf balls that are connected via a rope to wrap around...u r awarded points if you wrap the rope around a pipe..the higher the pipe the more points is scored...the secret here is to throw the rope by holding only one golf ball...you want to get nice rotation as it releases from your hand...the two ball throw rarely works

4. Beer Pong--and on the classic table games...try to throw a ping pong ball in 1 of 9 cups that are arranged in a bowling pin formation--after you make it in one cup--the other team must drink the cup...and remove it from the table...this continues until on team has removed all the cups from the other side...great game...practice makes perfect on this game...the final cup is always a challenge

5. Flip Cup--my favorite and an IC classic...if you are late to your tailgating session and the game is about to start and you need to get drunk quick...this is an excellent choice...two teams are aligned on both sides of a table...the first two people on the ends of the table from differing teams go first and they race to slam their drink...after that they place their empty cup on the edge of the table and with one hand try to "flip" the cup over so the cup lands on its top upside down...once it lands...the next teammate can go...and which ever team finishes first wins...hint...having a wet table actually helps..the cup will "stick" better

get ready...:)

In other news Iowa now is now connected to the internet

I'm suprised the original poster didn't mention the United States has elected a black man president. I can't wait for his next post telling Gopher fans that we no longer have to rub 2 stones together over kindling sticks to start a fire and can use a propane gas grill instead.

wow...i haven't posted on here for awhile but damn the stadium looks amazing...thanks for posting all the pics everyone...been stuck down in iowa city for the past 3 years and the one thing that does rock about this town is kinick stadium...im so pumped minnesotans will get to experience the same thing...if you haven't been to an outdoor college football game with plenty of tailgating...well youre going to be in for a real treat...

my dad's got season tickets so i will defn be at the air force game--cannot wait

i do have some words of advice however...if you plan on tailgating early...don't drink too late on friday...it will defn ruin the experience...or you could try what we call the "tie it on" method which is to continue to party all friday night, don't sleep, hit the tailgating, and then the game...ahh, college...

also since minnesotans are not really known for their epic tailgating...i will pass along some of the major tailgating sports that you should practice before air force

1. Horseshoes--ahh, a classic...this has been around a long time...the goal of the sport is to ring the horseshoe around a metal spike...4 pts for a ringer...2 for a leaner...and 1 if you are within a length of a horseshoe from the spike...in recent years this has become an endangered sport however...perhaps its the difficulty of drunken people hammering a spike into the ground...or that you are throwing a heavy metal object toward drunken people and the horseshoes usually have a tendency smack people that aren't looking

2. Bags/Sacks--the gold standard of all tailgating games...this is the modern version of horseshoes (without the broken toes from horseshoes)...the idea is to throw the bag into or on the board--which has a giant hole in the middle of it--1 pt for on the board and 3 pts for in the hole...maybe the most common of all tailgating games...u will see this on the way to TCF

3. Rodeo Golf/Latter Golf--this game consists of 3 horizontal pcv pipes in which you try to throw 2 golf balls that are connected via a rope to wrap around...u r awarded points if you wrap the rope around a pipe..the higher the pipe the more points is scored...the secret here is to throw the rope by holding only one golf ball...you want to get nice rotation as it releases from your hand...the two ball throw rarely works

4. Beer Pong--and on the classic table games...try to throw a ping pong ball in 1 of 9 cups that are arranged in a bowling pin formation--after you make it in one cup--the other team must drink the cup...and remove it from the table...this continues until on team has removed all the cups from the other side...great game...practice makes perfect on this game...the final cup is always a challenge

5. Flip Cup--my favorite and an IC classic...if you are late to your tailgating session and the game is about to start and you need to get drunk quick...this is an excellent choice...two teams are aligned on both sides of a table...the first two people on the ends of the table from differing teams go first and they race to slam their drink...after that they place their empty cup on the edge of the table and with one hand try to "flip" the cup over so the cup lands on its top upside down...once it lands...the next teammate can go...and which ever team finishes first wins...hint...having a wet table actually helps..the cup will "stick" better

get ready...:)
Wow! I can't wait for your next set of tailgating tips on how to grill a hot dog. Or maybe you can teach us how to open a can of beer.

And Iowa is known for tailgating? Geez dude. I've been to Kinnick twice, fun time, but I wasn't blown away by any means.

On a sidenote, are there any hotels in Iowa City/Cedar Rapids that have been built within the last 30 years? It's like walking back into time.

I think Gopher fans have done very well for ourselves the past 20 years. The Washington Avenue lots were as good as any Big Ten school.

P.S.

The game is called Cornhole not bags/sacks. You would think someone from Iowa would know this. Who hates Iowa?

The game is called Cornhole not bags/sacks. You would think someone from Iowa would know this. Who hates Iowa?

I think this is a regional thing like pop/soda. Everyone I know calls it bags but my wife (who's from Ohio) says everyone there calls it cornhole.

I think this is a regional thing like pop/soda. Everyone I know calls it bags but my wife (who's from Ohio) says everyone there calls it cornhole.

Well, I think we agree it's not called sacks. If you're from Iowa ya gotta call it cornhole, right?

4 points for a ringer in horseshoes??? What Is this?? The 'Iowa Handicap'??
I suppose it is better than the wiscy handicap: automatic win to the drunken sconnie slob who miraculously gets a ringer.

It's three points, Guy.

Who Hates Iowa?

Thanks for posting!! During my four years at Minnesota I only heard whispers and rumors about this awesome game they invented and only play in Iowa City called Flip Cup!!! I can't wait to play for the first time this fall!

I recall some pretty epic tailgates at the Metrodome back in 2002-2004 before they took out the tailgate lots on Washington to build condos. The lot right next to Liquor Depot had some crazy parties and all the 30+ people knew to stay away because there would be unruly drunk college kids.

Actually wanted to avoid piling on but couldn't when i saw the bolded above. To get the bowling pin formation you need 10 cups (rows of 1, 2, 3, and 4 cups). For quicker games my buddies and I like a 6 cup formation (rows of 1, 2, and 3 cups).

If this guy is actually a Gopher fan and not an Iowa troll trying to be cute he is certainly off to a bad start...

I recall some pretty epic tailgates at the Metrodome back in 2002-2004 before they took out the tailgate lots on Washington to build condos. The lot right next to Liquor Depot had some crazy parties and all the 30+ people knew to stay away because there would be unruly drunk college kids.

Fact. This was when there was a legitimate tailgating scene in Minneapolis. The parking lots out there stretched forever and could accommodate 1,000s of cars. When these lots were torn up and everyone was scattered to whatever isolated lot would have them, the wheels came off pretty quickly.

Fact. This was when there was a legitimate tailgating scene in Minneapolis. The parking lots out there stretched forever and could accommodate 1,000s of cars. When these lots were torn up and everyone was scattered to whatever isolated lot would have them, the wheels came off pretty quickly.

Agreed. I loved tailgating in those lots. I couldn't believe the change in atmosphere once the condos went up (felt like an overnight change to someone not living in the TC).

Actually wanted to avoid piling on but couldn't when i saw the bolded above. To get the bowling pin formation you need 10 cups (rows of 1, 2, 3, and 4 cups). For quicker games my buddies and I like a 6 cup formation (rows of 1, 2, and 3 cups).

If this guy is actually a Gopher fan and not an Iowa troll trying to be cute he is certainly off to a bad start...

Counting cups does not appear to be his strong suit.

Agreed. I loved tailgating in those lots. I couldn't believe the change in atmosphere once the condos went up (felt like an overnight change to someone not living in the TC).

It seemed that way to people living here too. In the case of some of the lots they were there for one game and then a couple weeks later when they next home game was scheduled they were gone. The others got taken away during the offseason. I think it is great for the city to have the development on Washington but it sucked for the Gophers. The festivity that is college football game day got a lot less fun in Minneapolis very quickly.

I think it is great for the city to have the development on Washington but it sucked for the Gophers. The festivity that is college football game day got a lot less fun in Minneapolis very quickly.

I like the development from an improved city perspective as well...thank god for the new stadium. Can you imagine a future full of Dome games plus ever shrinking tailgating opportunities? Shudder...

I personally think the Vikings rebuilding on the Metrodome site will be a huge mistake because of the ever shrinking tailgating opportunities. It will just keep getting worse. Even if Ziggy owns all the Star Tribune lots, is he just going to sit on these parking lots till the end of time for 10 Sundays a year?

I have 1 word for the Vikings.......Brookdale. Tear it down, build your stadium. Perfect.

I personally think the Vikings rebuilding on the Metrodome site will be a huge mistake because of the ever shrinking tailgating opportunities. It will just keep getting worse. Even if Ziggy owns all the Star Tribune lots, is he just going to sit on these parking lots till the end of time for 10 Sundays a year?

I have 1 word for the Vikings.......Brookdale. Tear it down, build your stadium. Perfect.

Keep in mind that Ziggy is a developer. He doesn't care about tailgating. He cares that a new Viking stadium makes it easier to build/develop on the land currently occupied by the remaining lots.

Keep in mind that Ziggy is a developer. He doesn't care about tailgating. He cares that a new Viking stadium makes it easier to build/develop on the land currently occupied by the remaining lots.

He is kinda old school. Wanted an open air stadium. So he might want to keep tailgating around. I think he would settle for just about anything at this point.

Don't forget these favorited Drunk games:

1. Fall Down the Steps: See how many steps you can climb before you fall down and then(the best part) slide down the steps seeing how many people you can knock down (sort of drunk bowling on the steps)

2. Lame Comments: How annoying can you get to those around you with your constant chattering. Comments like: "Who's ahead", "Who Scored", "Where am I" "Kick a Field Goal"(from your own 10) so many great lines to impress others.

3. Barf: How much of your row can you force to leave by the stench of your vommit. Great fun.

4. Usher me Out: How long can you stay in the game before you are hauled out.

Don't forget these favorited Drunk games:

1. Fall Down the Steps: See how many steps you can climb before you fall down and then(the best part) slide down the steps seeing how many people you can knock down (sort of drunk bowling on the steps)

2. Lame Comments: How annoying can you get to those around you with your constant chattering. Comments like: "Who's ahead", "Who Scored", "Where am I" "Kick a Field Goal"(from your own 10) so many great lines to impress others.

3. Barf: How much of your row can you force to leave by the stench of your vommit. Great fun.

4. Usher me Out: How long can you stay in the game before you are hauled out.

And of course the favorite Iowa tailgating game of all time... get porked in the bathroom by a stranger!

He is kinda old school. Wanted an open air stadium. So he might want to keep tailgating around. I think he would settle for just about anything at this point.

I don't think he'd be scheming to screw Vikes fans (the Anoka plan had TONS of surface parking), but every plan I've seen of a new stadium on the Dome site has a lot of new development near it. It just wouldn't surprise me if he used the lots he owns for something other than just surface parking.

I'm suprised the original poster didn't mention the United States has elected a black man president. I can't wait for his next post telling Gopher fans that we no longer have to rub 2 stones together over kindling sticks to start a fire and can use a propane gas grill instead.

actually we just got these things called automobiles down here--you ever heard of them? its like a horse that doesn't tire!!

im truly pumped for the stadium...just want to know if their will be any room to fornicate in the bathroom...

What About Jarts?

Nothing more fun than tossing around mini javelins with the chance to impale a drunken onlooker. Can't believe they were banned.

Top Bottom