PSU help.. H Sailor or others

BigEGopher

Section 107
Reaction score
Hey there,
Just to change the mood a little. My son and I are doing a campus visit to PSU (program he wants that is the best in the country). Wondering of places I should visit. We get in late afternoon, campus visit till early afternoon, leave for Pittsburgh by 5 or so.

Any help is appreciated.

:cool02::cool02:

Go to the dairy and get some ice cream!
Green Bowl mongolian bbq...frickin awesome
My fav to eat and drink...The Tavern on College Ave. Good food, beer and atmosphere.
And Baby's Burgers and Shakes is always a winner.

If you want BBQ, its either Clems or Fat Jack's...I like them both.

Just some of my favs.

Im back in State College in 3 weeks for a wedding...so i will be getting me some Clems when I go back...

Thanks

I look forward to seeing the campus. Good starting points. Will be there right before the Gopers paly PSU. Hope to get back before a late game..

Beaver Stadium may just win him over. The Nittany Lion Inn is a wonderful place to reside for a weekend. PSU has an amazing Student Union. They call it the "HUB." It is the HUB-Robeson Center. By far the best Student Union I have seen in the Big10.

The Penn State Creamery will be part of any official tour you take.

Dr. Lloyd and I did make a few trip to The End Zone when we were living in State College.

If the weather is nice, go trek around Shingletown Gap - good hiking and you find some awesome overlooks.

Tailgate! Tailgate! Tailgate! If it's a football weekend, track down H. Sailor and do whatever he tells you. He tailgates with the best!

Go to GIANT - the grocery store on Atherton. GIANT is the best place to get you tailgate supplies.

The Darkhorse, Thursday is Wing Night! Get there early, before 7, since your son is underage.

What program is he looking at? I taught at PSU for 4 years, perhaps I can share some of my insights.

:cool02::cool02:

All of the above are good ideas. When are you coming? If its during a game, you definitely have to check out the atmosphere around the stadium.

The Tipster pretty much nailed it, no surprise there.

If you're with the kid, walk around around campus. The freshman class this year is loaded with young nubile eye-candy. The best I've seen in years, and I look a lot. If the university doesn't impress these chicks will.

Then go eat at the Creamery and stare at chicks. Walk around downtown State College around noon and you'll see bars with upperclassmen getting drunk (to be expected). You'll probably see me giving the psycho peepers, don't worry, you get used to it.

But seriously, I hope you guys have a wonderful time here and that your kid takes organic chemistry so he could take my tutoring sessions. I'll charge him half my rate as a g-hole discount!

Let us know what you're interested in.

H. Sailor
:cool02:,:party:, hurricane flags

Thanks

Thanks to all,
I am planning on doing a Thursday night and Friday walk around campus. My son is looking at the turf management program and we are meeting with the director after lunch Fri. Plan on walking the campus on Thurs. night as well.

We will swing by the Creamery and be on the lookout for the scenery.

Also, staying in Pittsburgh Fri. night. Besides Primante Bros. is there another fun spot to checkout.?

Thanks again for the help.....

Sticky buns from the Diner. My wife had a colleage that had a conference in State College and that was what she requested.

Not really pertaining to academics or your visit, but one of my favorite things about the years I spent in State College was the abundance of nearby trout streams. If your son is a fisherman (and will have a car) this is a great way to get away and clear your head for a few hours. There are a good number of streams 30-60 minutes away that offer decent fishing for (mostly) brownies. A nice drive up into the hills followed by some time in the water is a fine way to spend summer evenings and weekends.

http://www.centralpaflyfishing.com/

Big E Gopher gotta ask why is he not looking at turg management at the U

The U has a pretty established Turf management program and are doing some pretty strong research in this area right now. That and they have pretty good connections to golf courses, Toro and a lot of the major employers in this industry. Just gotta ask why he would not look at the U if he really want's to do that as a career. We stink in football but if that is the program he is looking at he is missing out.

The U has a pretty established Turf management program and are doing some pretty strong research in this area right now. That and they have pretty good connections to golf courses, Toro and a lot of the major employers in this industry. Just gotta ask why he would not look at the U if he really want's to do that as a career. We stink in football but if that is the program he is looking at he is missing out.

I believe Penn State has the premiere turf management program in the country. At least they did a couple years ago.

Also, staying in Pittsburgh Fri. night. Besides Primante Bros. is there another fun spot to checkout.?

Thanks again for the help.....

I would suggest to go to a Penguins game, they just opened a new arena about 2 week ago, but they are not playing on Friday.

PSU has the top program

I talked with a couple (and my son worked for one) private course superintendants and they all said PSU is the tops in their mind. Plus it is focused on being a super and running a top level (PGA quality) course. It also has a great intership program built into it.

Anyway, thanks again for the help and I will try to squeeze a lot into a short window. Even though the team is leaving for Minnesota that friday, I am going to try and wiggle my way into the stadium for a look see.

Top Bottom