PSA Kill isn’t coming back (informative poll)

Do you think kill is coming back

• No

Votes: 17 70.8%
  • Yes

Votes: 2 8.3%
  • Maybe

Votes: 5 20.8%

• Total voters

Some guy

Reaction score
There are a lot of reasons to question and examine the Fleck era

For instance last year I said our offensive problems went beyond Sanford and was criticized for it.

But let’s just be clear. kill isn’t coming back. Stop bringing him up. It’s over.

I liked Jerry When he coached here. I thought he did a great job. What do others think?

I agree.

Unfortunately, Gopherhole is more like a South American country after a regime change. Everything from the old establishment must be purged and everyone is trotted out in front of the court and made to declare about how awful the previous leader was to show their allegiance to the new leader. The same fans here do it every coaching change. Whenever Fleck moves on, it will be the same group that feels the only way to show they are the super fans will be to tear down PJ and scream "Traitor!" at anyone that mentions his name.

I liked Jerry When he coached here. I thought he did a great job. What do others think?
Don't care. Don't care about Tubby or Mason. Quit caring about Lou the day he left.

What I care about is Rutgers Saturday and whether we are going to sleep walk through another game or come out with some fire and turn it around.

Seriously, bringing Kill back? We replaced our last coach with the same results in a shinier package that was not an upgrade. What makes you think going back to Kill would make things any different?

Oh that's right you didn't.

I don't like Fleck and never have. I thought he was a bad hire for the exact reasons we are where we are. We hired someone who has created a lot of headlines and splash early, while failing to deliver late.

We've never had more recruiting buzz in June, yet delivered roughly the same results in December (Current Team talent ranking on 247sports.com 11, team talent ranking in 2016, 12).

Fleck finally figured out how to look good early this year, but has nothing to back it up. Coming into this season, the outlook was unreasonably high. ABC picked the Gopher's/Penn State as a night game. We started out 4-0, and are now 4-3 after a nationally televised game notable for how inept and confused the head coach looked on the sidelines.

We entered the season with lofty expectations, we left the big stage with little doubt we were NOT ready for prime time. We "had a chance" to win the West under Fleck in 2019, but similar to the Kill/Claeys era in 2016, the inability to beat Iowa and Wisconsin cost us that chance.

We have exactly what Coyle hired. As when he was hired, I have no reason to believe anything will improve under our Head Marketer, but I can hope (not a strategy) it won't get any worse. Unless and until he can't deliver a .500 season a few years in a row, classroom performance falls off AND Mark Coyle is no longer our AD, hiring a new coach won't change anything.

We have what we have and I see no reason to believe the administration will do anything to try to improve our fortunes, and have zero faith that under Mark Coyle's "leadership" we can find the right person to take us to the next level.

Seriously, bringing Kill back? We replaced our last coach with the same results in a shinier package that was not an upgrade. What makes you think going back to Kill would make things any different?

Oh that's right you didn't.

I don't like Fleck and never have. I thought he was a bad hire for the exact reasons we are where we are. We hired someone who has created a lot of headlines and splash early, while failing to deliver late.

We've never had more recruiting buzz in June, yet delivered roughly the same results in December (Current Team talent ranking on 247sports.com 11, team talent ranking in 2016, 12).

Fleck finally figured out how to look good early this year, but has nothing to back it up. Coming into this season, the outlook was unreasonably high. ABC picked the Gopher's/Penn State as a night game. We started out 4-0, and are now 4-3 after a nationally televised game notable for how inept and confused the head coach looked on the sidelines.

We entered the season with lofty expectations, we left the big stage with little doubt we were NOT ready for prime time. We "had a chance" to win the West under Fleck in 2019, but similar to the Kill/Claeys era in 2016, the inability to beat Iowa and Wisconsin cost us that chance.

We have exactly what Coyle hired. As when he was hired, I have no reason to believe anything will improve under our Head Marketer, but I can hope (not a strategy) it won't get any worse. Unless and until he can't deliver a .500 season a few years in a row, classroom performance falls off AND Mark Coyle is no longer our AD, hiring a new coach won't change anything.

We have what we have and I see no reason to believe the administration will do anything to try to improve our fortunes, and have zero faith that under Mark Coyle's "leadership" we can find the right person to take us to the next level.
His only other football hire of his career currently has Syracuse in the top 16 in year 7 after a 1-10 year 5 and a 5-7 year 6.

Sometimes it takes time.

I have worries about fleck though. And I have had those worries about fleck since 2018. 2019 I was proven to be incorrect and the offense was good enough. Other than 2019 we have had a really mediocre offense in the fleck era

Watching Gopher football during the Kill/Leidner era was torture. Brewster was a bad hire, Kill was a bad hire, jury is out on Fleck but has had more positive moments than either of the previous hires.

Watching Gopher football during the Kill/Leidner era was torture. Brewster was a bad hire, Kill was a bad hire, jury is out on Fleck but has had more positive moments than either of the previous hires.
Neither Fleck nor Kill were bad hires. Both had the team playing Wisconsin the last week for the West Title. Neither broke through, but neither was a bad hire.

Let's also remember that many of the desired coaches or coaches at the same career path have mostly failed or are similar to what we have. Leads me to believe it has more to do with off the field than on the field. Recruiting and support. 50,000 stadiums can't compete with 100,000 seat stadiums. Booster pools are different. Many outside factors make MN a tough job.

I loved Kill…although I think had reached his ceiling at MN. Fleck is too noisy for me but I am happy with the results and appreciate that he has a thoughtful approach to the total student athlete and not just on field results.

Kill was a tragic figure who finally made the major leagues after a career laboring in the minors but was undone by his seizure disorder.
I find Fleck a less likable person who seems very insecure and needs everything to be about him from leading the team out of the tunnel, racing down the sidelines at the end of the quarter to running on the field at every injury time out, etc.

I find it kind of amusing that a thread and poll was started about Kill with the OP then telling people to stop bringing him up. :)

Don't get me wrong though, I would be thrilled if there was never another Jerry Kill thread on this site because they always go the exact same way with the exact same arguements.

I do find it interesting that 7 people said Kill was either coming back or maybe coming back. I assume most of those are just joke votes because I can't believe anyone would be foolish enough to think there is any scenario where Kill ends up back at the U of M.

Those bridges have long since been burned to the ground.

I agree.

Unfortunately, Gopherhole is more like a South American country after a regime change. Everything from the old establishment must be purged and everyone is trotted out in front of the court and made to declare about how awful the previous leader was to show their allegiance to the new leader. The same fans here do it every coaching change. Whenever Fleck moves on, it will be the same group that feels the only way to show they are the super fans will be to tear down PJ and scream "Traitor!" at anyone that mentions his name.
It's not everyday Gopher Hole gets compared to South American government. You have lessened the load of my ignorance.

Top Bottom