Proud Dad

MrC

Reaction score
My daughter starts at the U this fall. I am a proud alum and I have been taking her to games since she was four months old. When she was a toddler she would sing: "Minnesota, hats be gone to thee!"

I am buying student season tickets for her, but expect she will often want to sit in "our" seats anyway. I sure hope so.

So, how do I handle her first game as a student of my wonderful university, and watch her sing HER rouser, without crying my eyes out?

My daughter starts at the U this fall. I am a proud alum and I have been taking her to games since she was four months old. When she was a toddler she would sing: "Minnesota, hats be gone to thee!"

I am buying student season tickets for her, but expect she will often want to sit in "our" seats anyway. I sure hope so.

So, how do I handle her first game as a student of my wonderful university, and watch her sing HER rouser, without crying my eyes out?

You let the tears of pride flow, my friend. Never forget the Dean Martin song, "Memories Are Made of This...."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mv9PSkNkUfs

Congrats MrC! I hope she has a great experience at the U.

Go Gophers!!

Let her go MrC. Encourage her to sit with her fellow students. Someday soon enough, she'll be back sitting with you.

Awesome! Encourage her to bring lots of her fellow students with her to the games! We need the students to show up!

Most of the time I have zero interest in having kids, but it's potential moments like this that make me think twice about it. Congrats!

Congratulations, mine just graduated, It'll go fast, even faster if yours graduates in three years like mine did.

I remember years ago bringing my daughter to Bemidji for freshman orientation. After a full day of meetings/etc, we were kind of hanging around in no hurry to leave her with a bunch of strangers even with a long 4.5 hour drive back home. We wanted to be with her as long as possible and be there if she needed one last thing. And also because our "little girl" was leaving us after 18 years. She sensed that we were hesitant to leave her and she looked at me and said, "Dad, its OK for you to go. I am totally ready for this. Thanks for all that you have done for me." That was a very proud moment for me as I knew our daughter was fully prepared and excited to get on with what was ahead for her.

It's nice to see others passing on the tradition. My kids are all graduated now, but I still take in one game with each one as well as their spouses. It's a way to connect one on one with them. I take them out to (breakfast, lunch, or dinner depending on gametime) and join in the pregame festivities as well as the game. I've been doing this for nearly 10 years and I've found it as a way to keep them in contact and really enjoy each other's company. I would recommend it to anyone. My daughter graduated from the U of M and is now passing Gopher fandom to her kids. Seeing babies in Gopher Gear is awesome.

Regarding the tears thing during the rouser: wear sunglasses, even at night.

All 4 children are Gopher fans, but alas, none went to the U. UMD, St Scholastica, Moorhead St, and our last one is at Bemidji St. The size of the U affected two of our daughters and the fact it was 150 miles away. For my son it was football at Moorhead St and other daughter VB at St Scholastica. Last year was the first year we didn't get them all down for a game. I really miss having them all there, but with marriage, families, location, etc it is tough. So I live on past memories. The one thing they have promised their old dad is if the Gophers make the Rose Bowl,
they'll be there.

Once she starts school you should hope that she wants to sit with her friends. Cherish the wonderful memories and meet her at halftime for a few minutes to say hi.

Dad of the year nominee.

Its tough, really tough. Let her sit with her friends, and let her know that you'll be there and that she can see you if she wants, but that she's not obligated (she'll still come see you). Believe me, if you smother a kid they will resent you for it. Let her come to you on her own terms, welcome her with love, and then her tell that you understand if she wants to get back with her friends and that you will see her next time. Kids this age need to be respected and they will respect you in return. You are going to have moments where you feel heart broken, but you need to understand that she is growing up - and that you need to do the same. We never stop growing. You sound like a great dad. Good luck, dude!

Hey, thanks everyone (well, almost everyone)!

It is tough watching them grow up, but it also awesome. I think letting them make their own way in the world is the final stage of growing up, not so much for the kids, but for us parents.

It sounds like you're the kind of father that has prepared your child for the path, not the path for your child. Well done. She'll be just fine, and so will you.

When i was younger my dad had season tickets to gopher games and as a kid I couldn't wait for Saturday to come to go to games with my dad. Some of the best times of my life. But as I got older my own sporting activities got in the way and we had to stop going. But when I get done with college I plan on getting season tickets again with my dad so we can continue to share more memories.

So basically in response to the original topic from the kids perspective it means a lot to have something to share with your father and those memories will never go away.

Make sure you stop in at a "Drop her off here, dad" party on move in wknd.

Live vicariously through her getting crazy with her friends in the student section. She'll always need daddy, and there will be time enough to reminisce when you're back sitting together in a few years.

Outstanding! I can only hope I get to feel the kind of pride you are feeling as a father, when my sons are of college age. let's those tears flow, nothing wrong with a little family and alma mater pride.

Currently my 9-year old says he wants to go to the U, and he enjoys going to games with me... t-minus 9-years and counting...

Wow! I can't believe I got a little choked up just reading through this thread. Two days ago I would have been rolling my eyes and mocking all of you. Now, having just found out I'm going to be a dad (unexpectedly) I'm seeing the world through a whole new light. I am looking forward to hearing the little guy (or gal) sing The Rouser for the first time!

Go Gophers!

:cool02::cool02:

Wow! I can't believe I got a little choked up just reading through this thread. Two days ago I would have been rolling my eyes and mocking all of you. Now, having just found out I'm going to be a dad (unexpectedly) I'm seeing the world through a whole new light. I am looking forward to hearing the little guy (or gal) sing The Rouser for the first time!

Go Gophers!

:cool02::cool02:

Congrats to you!

Top Bottom