Proposed Rules Changes

MaxyJR1

Reaction score

Allowing players penalized and disqualified to remain on the sideline and placing a time limit on replay reviews are among the changes proposed Friday by the NCAA Football Rules Committee, with the suggestions now sent to the NCAA Playing Rules Oversight Panel for possible approval in time for the 2020 season.

Also looking to allow players to wear the number 0

I honestly didn't realize players were not allowed to wear 0 but makes sense to open it up as an option.

Also love the idea of a 2 minute cap on instant replay. If they can't figure it out by then the call on the field stands and move on. Although I always find it funny when pace of play is discussed since the only reason there is a game length issue is due to commercials and the length of commercial breaks. Of course that is the one area that nobody will touch and only seems to get worse every year.

These all seem like fairly inconsequential rules.

The 2 minute rule on instant replay I hear folks talk about ... not a fan, maybe there's technical difficulties, maybe there isn't ... but some "well you should just figure it out" rule imposed on folks actually trying to figure it out seems like a problem waiting to happen.

2 minute cap on instant replay is a must. During this time they can have a split screen showing the ref looking at the screen or whatever and then the other side doing the commercial. While I understand commercials pays the bills, but it has gotten out of hand.

Numbers are meaningless now, so might as well add 0. What about adding 00?

For the play review time limit, fine if it’s an official’s review, but if a coach risks a timeout to ask for a review, they need to get it right, even if it takes more than two minutes.

The "0" thing will really throw the annual Gopherhole photo countdown out of whack.

2 minute cap on instant replay is a must. During this time they can have a split screen showing the ref looking at the screen or whatever and then the other side doing the commercial. While I understand commercials pays the bills, but it has gotten out of hand.

At 54 million dollars per year, per Big Ten team, the commercials are the point of the whole thing. We fans are mear extras along with the players and coaches.

These all seem like fairly inconsequential rules.

The 2 minute rule on instant replay I hear folks talk about ... not a fan, maybe there's technical difficulties, maybe there isn't ... but some "well you should just figure it out" rule imposed on folks actually trying to figure it out seems like a problem waiting to happen.
Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Damned if you don't have instant replay at all -- that's how it got there in the first place.

The 2-minute time limit seems fine, but I honestly wonder how often it actually goes over that now. This feels like one of those things that will shave 5 seconds off the average game. Often times it is longer simply because they've gone to commercial now.

The NFL has a similar time limit, and it seems to work out fine. Also, in the NFL it can go over the time limit if additional time is needed to spot the ball and/or get the time on the clock right (in other words, if it takes 2 minutes to figure out it was a catch, you get extra time to figure out where to spot the ball and how much time should be on the clock). I'd expect NCAA to do the same.

The 2-minute time limit seems fine, but I honestly wonder how often it actually goes over that now. This feels like one of those things that will shave 5 seconds off the average game. Often times it is longer simply because they've gone to commercial now.

The NFL has a similar time limit, and it seems to work out fine. Also, in the NFL it can go over the time limit if additional time is needed to spot the ball and/or get the time on the clock right (in other words, if it takes 2 minutes to figure out it was a catch, you get extra time to figure out where to spot the ball and how much time should be on the clock). I'd expect NCAA to do the same.
I'm skeptical about the college game's ability to meet the same standards ... with lesser refs, and lesser production staff and etc.

I feel like they either need to reduce the role of replay and accept that some calls will be wrong or look at replay until they get it right. If they look at the replay for 2 minutes and can't decide in time then they wasted those 2 minutes.

I'd like to see each coach get 2-3 challenges that they only lose if they use and a call is kept. No limit on replay. Replay is only used when a coach uses a challenge, even for targeting. It's all of the booth reviews that slow things down. If coaches have a limited number of challenges they will be careful with them and not waste them on every close play.

Didn't you say in a different thread that you were bored with this whole pathetic Spoofin stalking? Seriously, it is just sad at this point.
Spoof clearly got under his skin, and in the battle of wits my money is on him. Come on NJG you gotta step up your game!

Actually, put what the ref is seeing on the jumbotron and at home for everyone to see.

Now that would be interesting...

Actually, put what the ref is seeing on the jumbotron and at home for everyone to see.

"interesting"

53moeS1.gif

I dont like an idea of limiting how much time should be allowd for replay. The ncaa should tell officals to work faster in the replay room but if they need additional angles and views for a play they should be able to look at them. Imagine having a call stand but an angle a official never got to look at reverses the play.

I dont like an idea of limiting how much time should be allowd for replay. The ncaa should tell officals to work faster in the replay room but if they need additional angles and views for a play they should be able to look at them. Imagine having a call stand but an angle a official never got to look at reverses the play.

Also better replay buzzer guys ... man they don't buzz in fast / seem to ignore some obvious replay opportunities.

Like is it just a guy sitting in a booth with a 10 year old Tivo?

Can you truly allow "0" but not "00", or can you have both and are they different?

The fact that a guy ejected for accidentally hitting a guy in the head can’t even stand on the sideline with teammates is stupid.

I think back to Cashman not being on the sideline at the end of the Wisconsin game. Just dumb

If I have to watch a presbyopic ref squint at an 8 inch screen for 3 minutes and then STILL make the wrong call...

Get these guys a decent sized screen and resolution. They obviously can’t see what they’re looking at. Maybe mandated vision exams...

I think they should just go into the hundreds.

If I have to watch a presbyopic ref squint at an 8 inch screen for 3 minutes and then STILL make the wrong call...

Get these guys a decent sized screen and resolution. They obviously can’t see what they’re looking at. Maybe mandated vision exams...
I figured they would look up at the jumbotron with the rest of us....

Top Bottom