Prophetic Tubby Article?

It's been a bad run of talent in Minnesota since the White/Williams class (by the way Lockett didn't turn us down, he didn't have UM offer and committed to ASU while the Gophers were after Royce and Rodney), but Minnesota has previously produced several high major kids a year. I do think the lack of in state talent in the past couple of classes is one of the legitimate bad breaks Tubby has experienced.

I usually agree with Jamiche, but I feel like he's wrong on ranking Minnesota the 8th best job in the Big Ten (at the very worst it's 7th) and stating weather as a reason why Minnesota doesn't attract recruits. Syracuse and UConn have just as bad of weather and are not located in the Twin Cities where there are more girls and more things to do. I do agree that Tubbys style of play and frequent substitutions are turn offs to the type of kids the Gophers need to win. You see a school like Baylor and what they have gone through and somehow they have been more relevant under Scott Drew than they have ever been in my lifetime. More excuses could be made to lose at Baylor than virtually any other school in a BCS conference, yet somehow some real talent is going to Waco, Texas.

It's been a bad run of talent in Minnesota since the White/Williams class (by the way Lockett didn't turn us down, he didn't have UM offer and committed to ASU while the Gophers were after Royce and Rodney), but Minnesota has previously produced several high major kids a year. I do think the lack of in state talent in the past couple of classes is one of the legitimate bad breaks Tubby has experienced.

I usually agree with Jamiche, but I feel like he's wrong on ranking Minnesota the 8th best job in the Big Ten (at the very worst it's 7th) and stating weather as a reason why Minnesota doesn't attract recruits. Syracuse and UConn have just as bad of weather and are not located in the Twin Cities where there are more girls and more things to do. I do agree that Tubbys style of play and frequent substitutions are turn offs to the type of kids the Gophers need to win. You see a school like Baylor and what they have gone through and somehow they have been more relevant under Scott Drew than they have ever been in my lifetime. More excuses could be made to lose at Baylor than virtually any other school in a BCS conference, yet somehow some real talent is going to Waco, Texas.
About the weather, it's not that the weather is the worst here it is just a perception around the country that Minnesota is the coldest place in the country.

it wasn't a question of how many open scholarships were open.. but on the depth of the local talent.

You said, and I quote:

"just take local 2009 guys:
the 2009 Hopkins starters: white, broghammer, lockett, williams, cowles..
throw in rodney ( cooper ) and dower ( osseo )

and we'd be in the top 2 in the big10."

Clearly, you are positing a scenario wherein the Gophers have all these kids on the team. It's nothing more than a daydream. Unless at least 3 of those guys were willing to walk-on, there was no way for it to happen. So, what's the point of bringing up all the local talent and how they would be great for the Gophers (which, as discussed, is an impossibility). Oh, right - to skewer Tubby's recruiting along with the rest of the mouth-breathers.

also: Mbakwe wasn't a '2009 kid'.

Yes, he was. He signed with the Gophers in 2009.

also: Cobb wasn't a 'local kid'.

Who said that he was?

READ before commenting.

I did READ. I then proceeded to refute your POINTLESS AND IDIOTIC post, which has no basis in fact or reason. Perhaps you should ENGAGE YOUR BRAIN before ham-fisting your keyboard.

btw: when is your recruiting trip to Wolf Point?

I'm not even sure what this is supposed to mean. What are you talking about?

I was literally waiting for this article to pop up sometime soon. I recall it, and I knew as the team was struggling, it would come up again. There's nothing to really be said, right now it looks more likely that this article is on point than the opposite. Of course, a whole lotta crap was involved in turning this situation into what it is, but in the end, right now Tubby is struggling mightily. I doubt he's fired this year, but boy, if he doesn't make some changes to his staff or something, it could get ugly.

Doubt he gets fired? He'll NEVER get fired, at least not by Maturi. The team would have to sink to somewhere between 5 and 10 wins total for the season for the administration to even consider it. And if it was up to Maturi, Tubby would be the coach in perpetuity until the day he croaked or decided to quit. In other words, Tubby is here to stay unless some other school comes calling. And with each passing year, that possibility becomes more and more remote.

You said, and I quote:

"just take local 2009 guys:
the 2009 Hopkins starters: white, broghammer, lockett, williams, cowles..
throw in rodney ( cooper ) and dower ( osseo )

and we'd be in the top 2 in the big10."

Clearly, you are positing a scenario wherein the Gophers have all these kids on the team. It's nothing more than a daydream. Unless at least 3 of those guys were willing to walk-on, there was no way for it to happen. So, what's the point of bringing up all the local talent and how they would be great for the Gophers (which, as discussed, is an impossibility). Oh, right - to skewer Tubby's recruiting along with the rest of the mouth-breathers.

Yes, he was. He signed with the Gophers in 2009.

Who said that he was?

I did READ. I then proceeded to refute your POINTLESS AND IDIOTIC post, which has no basis in fact or reason. Perhaps you should ENGAGE YOUR BRAIN before ham-fisting your keyboard.

I'm not even sure what this is supposed to mean. What are you talking about?

pull over and breathe:

1.) mbwake was not 'locally' in high school in 2009.... so he is not a 'local, 2009 kid'. geez.
2.) "Clearly, you are positing a scenario wherein the Gophers have all these kids on the team. It's nothing more than a daydream. Unless at least 3 of those guys were willing to walk-on, there was no way for it to happen. So, what's the point of bringing up all the local talent and how they would be great for the Gophers (which, as discussed, is an impossibility). Oh, right - to skewer Tubby's recruiting along with the rest of the mouth-breathers."

yes.. it's a 'daydream'... the question was around the local talent... does it have depth?... it HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THE GOPHERS AT THE TIME AND HAS NOTHING PRO/CON TO DO WITH TUBBY..

now get off my bumper, stop the high-beam flashing, put down your middle finger, and breathe.

oh, wolf point?... you once suggested that 'location' has nothing to do with recruiting... so a new head coach at Maryland ( in talent rich Prince Georges County, MD ) would have no better luck than a JUCO coach in Wolf Point, MT. ouch.

Disadvantage list should include:
- only Big Ten school with NBA, NFL, MLB, NHL, WNBA in town. Iowa, Wisconsin, Illinois, Indiana, Purdue, PSU, and Nebraska have no pro teams in their markets. Northwestern, Michigan, MSU, and have some pro teams near by but not in town. Columbus has an NHL team.
- only Big Ten school where basketball is not the most followed winter sport.
Star recruits have egos. They want to be the number one attraction in town. At UM, BB and FB players participate in the sixth or seventh most followed programs in The Cities.

oh, wolf point?... you once suggested that 'location' has nothing to do with recruiting... so a new head coach at Maryland ( in talent rich Prince Georges County, MD ) would have no better luck than a JUCO coach in Wolf Point, MT.

Wrong. What I said was, proximity to abundant local talent means nothing if you can't actually secure the talent. For evidence, see the basketball programs at Northwestern, DePaul, Miami, USC, Virginia, and Penn St., among many others.

Doubt he gets fired? He'll NEVER get fired, at least not by Maturi. The team would have to sink to somewhere between 5 and 10 wins total for the season for the administration to even consider it. And if it was up to Maturi, Tubby would be the coach in perpetuity until the day he croaked or decided to quit. In other words, Tubby is here to stay unless some other school comes calling. And with each passing year, that possibility becomes more and more remote.

That doesn't seem to an issue at this point. Strange. Strange the previous rumors were out there and lingered as long as they did.

posted today on espn... 25 seniors in the espn100... recruiting..etc:

http://espn.go.com/high-school/boys...-100-basketball-players-give-story-recruiting

ex:

What's the best reason to sign with a school?
Will best prepare you for the NBA: 6
Offers best chance to win an NCAA championship: 4
Offers best combination of athletics/academics: 10
Combination of getting ready for NBA & winning NCAA championship: 4
Coaching staff: 1

Wrong. What I said was, proximity to abundant local talent means nothing if you can't actually secure the talent. For evidence, see the basketball programs at Northwestern, DePaul, Miami, USC, Virginia, and Penn St., among many others.

a fat-fingering must have produced 'V-i-r-g-i-n-i-a' ??... ( they will take down puke tonight and are 2nd in ACC ).

however, with just about everything in life, there are outliers.. so it's best to toss the top and bottom 5%.. so in dealing with the middle 90%, yes, of course, it matters to be close to the talent pool.

posted today on espn... 25 seniors in the espn100... recruiting..etc:

http://espn.go.com/high-school/boys...-100-basketball-players-give-story-recruiting

ex:

What's the best reason to sign with a school?
Will best prepare you for the NBA: 6
Offers best chance to win an NCAA championship: 4
Offers best combination of athletics/academics: 10
Combination of getting ready for NBA & winning NCAA championship: 4
Coaching staff: 1
Seems like all of the answers have some relation to the final option...

a fat-fingering must have produced 'V-i-r-g-i-n-i-a' ??...

Nope. They've massively underachieved relative to their local talent pool. The fact that they're 14-1 so far this year against one of the worst schedules in the country doesn't absolve them of their past 4 seasons (16, 15, 10 and 17 wins, with a high conference finish of T-7).

they will take down puke tonight

Possible...but highly doubtful.

and are 2nd in ACC

Through one game. At home. Against one of the worst ACC teams. Which they won by 1 point after that poor ACC team missed a layup just before the buzzer. Yup, they're surely headed to New Orleans.

of course, it matters to be close to the talent pool.

I NEVER SAID THAT IT DIDN'T.

Nope. They've massively underachieved relative to their local talent pool. The fact that they're 14-1 so far this year against one of the worst schedules in the country doesn't absolve them of their past 4 seasons (16, 15, 10 and 17 wins, with a high conference finish of T-7).

Through one game. At home. Against one of the worst ACC teams. Which they won by 1 point after that poor ACC team missed a layup just before the buzzer. Yup, they're surely headed to New Orleans.

I NEVER SAID THAT IT DIDN'T.

Virginia is a case of an outlier moving into the middle 90%.

proximity to abundant local talent means nothing if you can't actually secure the talent

'proximity to abundant local food means nothing if you can't actually swallow'.

both statements are irrelevant.

Virginia is a case of an outlier moving into the middle 90%.

Possibly, but not yet. They're a long ways from moving into anything above the lower quartile of the ACC.

proximity to abundant local talent means nothing if you can't actually secure the talent

'proximity to abundant local food means nothing if you can't actually swallow'.

both statements are irrelevant.

Wrong. You can still ingest food without swallowing. You can't take advantage of local talent if they're all playing for someone else.

Also, the statement is entirely relevant. By your logic, Maryland-Baltimore County, Towson, Maryland-Eastern Shore, etc. should all be powerhouses because of all the talent in Prince George's County. But they're not. Why? Because proximity to abundant local talent means nothing if you can't actually secure the talent.

Possibly, but not yet. They're a long ways from moving into anything above the lower quartile of the ACC.

Wrong. You can still ingest food without swallowing. You can't take advantage of local talent if they're all playing for someone else.

Also, the statement is entirely relevant. By your logic, Maryland-Baltimore County, Towson, Maryland-Eastern Shore, etc. should all be powerhouses because of all the talent in Prince George's County. But they're not. Why? Because proximity to abundant local talent means nothing if you can't actually secure the talent.

Possibly, but not yet. They're a long ways from moving into anything above the lower quartile of the ACC. <<<< wrong. they've won 5 of last 6 regular season games. young coach.. ACC is way down this year.. duke is as overrated as Louisville.. UVA finishes in upper half ( which is the "middle 90%" ).

"proximity to abundant local talent means nothing if you can't actually secure the talent"

is as relevant as:

"talent means nothing if you can't actually secure the talent"

they've won 5 of last 6 regular season games

Against absolute nobodies. Their schedule this year has been absolutely horrible outside of Michigan.

young coach

Which can be just as much of a detriment as an asset.

"proximity to abundant local talent means nothing if you can't actually secure the talent"

is as relevant as:

"talent means nothing if you can't actually secure the talent"

Wrong. The second sentence (your creation) is a quasi-tautology and non-sensical. The first sentence (my creation) is entirely relevant to any discussion of proximal talent.

Local talent pool is subjective. I assume you're counting DC as local.

They did win at Oregon and at LSU as well as beating Michigan. Not great, but at least BCS road wins.

And in one I'm shocked you didn't catch, you can guarantee UVa won't beat Duke tonight because they don't play. :cool:

Against absolute nobodies. Their schedule this year has been absolutely horrible outside of Michigan.

Which can be just as much of a detriment as an asset.

Wrong. The second sentence (your creation) is a quasi-tautology and non-sensical. The first sentence (my creation) is entirely relevant to any discussion of proximal talent.

my bad: they've won 5 of last 6 regular season ACC games.
you: "They're a long ways from moving into anything above the lower quartile of the ACC.

my bad: they've won 5 of last 6 regular season ACC games.
you: "They're a long ways from moving into anything above the lower quartile of the ACC.

forgot to add: ranked 17th nationally... lower quartile?? geez.

As a Kentucky fan, we are forever grateful to the Gophers for hiring Tubby

Smokey Pearl said:
As a Kentucky fan, we are forever grateful to the Gophers for hiring Tubby

How many titles you think Cal wins with anyone's players?

The last holdouts are clinging to any sign of hope. Soon they will join the rest of us and see how this program has been taken. Doyle is right. Never has a coach been more overrated than Tubby Smith. Minnesota and our fans bought it hook line and sinker and some just can't admit it.

Top Bottom