Promotion and Relegation for a 16 team B1G?

Besides, where do you relegate to? 1-AA?

I love the concept of relegation. But let's be honest, if any American sport did relegation, it would be based on tv ratings and not on field performance.

I love the concept of relegation. But let's be honest, if any American sport did relegation, it would be based on tv ratings and not on field performance.
Relegation will never happen in any North American sport because of the amount of money involved and the massive disparity in facilities between major and minor league teams.

I think relegation also needs more than just 2 "divisions" and way more teams to be effective.

The English football league has 11 levels and nearly 1900 clubs and only a small fraction of those teams get promoted or relegated each year.

Now, if you did it for the entirety of D1 college football you might have something that would work well. But you likely destroy a lot of rivalries and it probably is less profitable than the current system.

Would it be fun to divide the B1G into a 1st and 2nd division? You would play all of the teams in your division and the two other teams that you have gone longest without playing. At the end of the season top two 1st division teams play the championship 8th place team of 1st division relegated to 2nd division and 1st place team in 2nd division promoted. Also 6th and 7th place of 1st division have to play 2nd and 3rd place of 2nd division championship weekend in order to try to keep their spot on the 1st division.
I like it Toma. Let’s be honest, when we are to 1-division of 16, the Gophers are going to need things to play for as they won’t be playing for a B1G title. Ditto for over half the teams. Relegation is simply brilliant, but you can’t sell the “real football guys” that are too tough for soccer (said while flexing).

I like it Toma. Let’s be honest, when we are to 1-division of 16, the Gophers are going to need things to play for as they won’t be playing for a B1G title. Ditto for over half the teams. Relegation is simply brilliant, but you can’t sell the “real football guys” that are too tough for soccer (said while flexing).
Correct.
Wait until we get to 20 teams. Meaningless Purdue vs Rutgers game. Unless… Purdue needs a win to get to Tier 1.

I honestly think it will happen in ~20 years.

All this talk about the money… The money is exactly why you have relegation. Makes every game meaningful.

Very different. Yes, OSU, MI and PSU have advantages, but they aren't in a whole different division. We have a chance, every year, to go to the Big Ten championship and even the playoffs. In a 2nd division that is lost, and a recruit would not see a reasonable chance at in the near future.
Why would a recruit think it is impossible to win and move from Tier 1 to Tier 2?

And you are right, we currently have a chance to win the Big Ten. We’ve had that chance since 1961. I am sure plenty of recruiters see a reasonable chance that we would win the Big Ten.

We do have a small degree of promotion and relegation already. Maryland and Rutgers got promoted into the Big Ten for example. Entire conferences have been "relegated" in terms of their status (Big 12 as an example). Utah got promoted into the Pac 12.

We do have a small degree of promotion and relegation already. Maryland and Rutgers got promoted into the Big Ten for example. Entire conferences have been "relegated" in terms of their status (Big 12 as an example). Utah got promoted into the Pac 12.
The Big 12 didn't get relegated. TCU is in the playoff, and I'd argue it's a better conference than the PAC 12, even before USC and UCLA leave. When the Big East became the AAC, that's a better example.

The Big 12 didn't get relegated. TCU is in the playoff, and I'd argue it's a better conference than the PAC 12, even before USC and UCLA leave. When the Big East became the AAC, that's a better example.
My post was slightly tongue in cheek.

My post was slightly tongue in cheek.
Ah, got it. There are some out there who think that w/o Texas and OU, that the Big 12 may as well be C-USA...

Why would a recruit think it is impossible to win and move from Tier 1 to Tier 2?

And you are right, we currently have a chance to win the Big Ten. We’ve had that chance since 1961. I am sure plenty of recruiters see a reasonable chance that we would win the Big Ten.
I think PJ is able to sell kids on that possibility, given we have only been a game away from the West Championship and playing in the Big Ten Championship a few years now. We can also go back to the previous staff and they were playing WI in the final game to go to Big Ten Championship. So, he can sell they are on the doorstep. However, with relegation there are two distinct levels and if we were in a Tier 2 conference there is absolutely no chance. You aren't even competing for it. You're playing for a minor league championship.

I think PJ is able to sell kids on that possibility, given we have only been a game away from the West Championship and playing in the Big Ten Championship a few years now. We can also go back to the previous staff and they were playing WI in the final game to go to Big Ten Championship. So, he can sell they are on the doorstep. However, with relegation there are two distinct levels and if we were in a Tier 2 conference there is absolutely no chance. You aren't even competing for it. You're playing for a minor league championship.
You it is relegation and promotion.
Teams move up and down.

You it is relegation and promotion.
Teams move up and down.
Yeah, right. Just like in soccer, for most part it's the same couple of teams that get relegated and promoted. Once promoted you don't have the talent to compete and get relegated again. It's just stupid. Right now, in the Big Ten, there are three teams clearly getting top players - OSU, MI, PSU. The rest, for the most part, still have the opportunity to compete. If all of a sudden you are also relegated by being in a MAC like conference behind 5-7 more teams those recruits you would have gotten are going to the 5-7 teams above you. It's not that hard to figure out.

The 2nd division just because the WAC or MAC.

Yeah, right. Just like in soccer, for most part it's the same couple of teams that get relegated and promoted. Once promoted you don't have the talent to compete and get relegated again. It's just stupid. Right now, in the Big Ten, there are three teams clearly getting top players - OSU, MI, PSU. The rest, for the most part, still have the opportunity to compete. If all of a sudden you are also relegated by being in a MAC like conference behind 5-7 more teams those recruits you would have gotten are going to the 5-7 teams above you. It's not that hard to figure out.

The 2nd division just because the WAC or MAC.
You wouldn’t be in a MAC like conference, you’d be in the Big Ten 2nd Division, with Nebby, MSU, Maryland, etc.

You wouldn’t be in a MAC like conference, you’d be in the Big Ten 2nd Division, with Nebby, MSU, Maryland, etc.
It would become the MAC because you are not competing as a P6 team anymore. If the Big Ten has already said you are second class and can't compete for the championship, you are the MAC. You can say you are Big Ten, but you aren't. Why would any school ever agree to that? It's stupid.

Stupid.

Plus, Anything remotely connected in any possible way to fucking soccer is a hard no.
Indeed. The following sports are connected to promotion and relegation. For example, Rugby Union the best sport in the world, ice hockey, bandy, basketball, cricket and baseball do it.

It would become the MAC because you are not competing as a P6 team anymore. If the Big Ten has already said you are second class and can't compete for the championship, you are the MAC. You can say you are Big Ten, but you aren't. Why would any school ever agree to that? It's stupid.
Okay.

Top Bottom