Projected Gavitt Games Matchups

SelectionSunday

Reaction score
Gavitt Games pairings are expected to be announced later this month. No word on whether the Gophers will participate, but I'm guessing they'll sit it out along with conference brethren Indiana, Iowa, Nebraska, Northwestern, and Penn State, as well as the Big East's DePaul, Seton Hall, and UConn.

Marquette @ Michigan State almost feels like a certainty with all the key players they have returning, though it's possible the location could be reversed.

Marquette @ Michigan State
Purdue @ Creighton
Maryland @ Villanova
Xavier @ Ohio State
Wisconsin @ Providence
Michigan @ Saint John's (confirmed)
Butler @ Illinois
Georgetown @ Rutgers

Last edited:

Gavitt Games pairings are expected to be announced later this month. No word on whether the Gophers will participate, but I'm guessing they'll sit it out along with conference brethren Indiana, Iowa, Nebraska, Northwestern, and Penn State, as well as the Big East's DePaul, Seton Hall, and UConn.

Marquette @ Michigan State almost feels like a certainty with all the key players they have returning, though it's possible the location could be reversed.

Marquette @ Michigan State
Purdue @ Creighton
Maryland @ Villanova
Xavier @ Ohio State
Wisconsin @ Providence
Michigan @ Saint John's (confirmed)
Butler @ Illinois
Georgetown @ Rutgers
So the Gophers might have zero power 6 games on the non-conference schedule?

Yeah, if we don't get a Gavitt Game, it could be zero games against P6. Would be pretty awful.

Did I hear somewhere that the Gavitt games might include all Big East teams soon? Now that the ACC challenge is over, it would be good to see more Big Ten teams involved annually.

Don’t need any. B1G schedule is tough enough. We have 3 new starters and a lot of depth that needs to work out the bugs. Relax and enjoy. But give up your season tickets to a disabled veteran. Send NIL $$$. We need to keep these guys. They are going to be fun.

Then pathetic it is. A good pathetic this year. Is all your life this negative? I hope not. I’m trying to bring you an up side. Something to believe in. Have a great day and be sure to respond. You are not on ignore I read everything you post. Every post right or wrong has value.

I did not realize the BT-ACC challenge is over with.

Possible, but this is just my estimate based on past appearances, home/away, who did or didn't participate the last year or two, etc.

Then pathetic it is. A good pathetic this year. Is all your life this negative? I hope not. I’m trying to bring you an up side. Something to believe in. Have a great day and be sure to respond. You are not on ignore I read everything you post. Every post right or wrong has value.
It can be a blanket statement. ANY P6 team that does not schedule at least 1 non-conference game against other P6 schools is pathetic. Embarrassingly pathetic.

I'd even go as far as at least 2 such games.

Yeah, if we don't get a Gavitt Game, it could be zero games against P6. Would be pretty awful.
Gophers non-conference games vs. Power 6 opponents over the last 10 seasons (home games in bold):

2013-14 (3): vs. Syracuse, vs. Arkansas, Florida State
2014-15 (4): vs. Louisville, @ Saint John's, vs. Georgia, @ Wake Forest
2015-16 (3): vs. Texas Tech, Clemson, vs. Oklahoma State
2016-17 (4): Saint John's, Arkansas, @ Florida State, vs. Vanderbilt
2017-18 (4): @ Providence, vs. Alabama, Miami, @ Arkansas
2018-19 (5): Utah, vs. Texas A&M, vs. Washington, @ Boston College, vs. Oklahoma State
2019-20 (6): vs. Oklahoma, @ Butler, @ Utah, DePaul, Clemson, vs. Oklahoma State
2020-21 (1): Boston College
2021-22 (2): @ Pitt, @ Mississippi State
2022-23 (3): DePaul, @ Virginia Tech, Mississippi State

Home
: 11
Road: 11
Neutral: 13
Average Per Season: 3.5

Did I hear somewhere that the Gavitt games might include all Big East teams soon? Now that the ACC challenge is over, it would be good to see more Big Ten teams involved annually.
There were rumors floating around a month or so ago that it would be 11 games with UConn playing for the first time, but that has since been shot down. UConn will not participate. I think the plan is it's sticking with 8.

This is the last year of the contract, so who knows what will happen next season. I'm hoping Big Ten gets a scheduling agreement with the Big XII or SEC. SEC would make the most sense. ... both conferences will have 16 schools in 2024-25. Have everybody participate!

Gophers non-conference games vs. Power 6 opponents over the last 10 seasons (home games in bold):

2013-14 (3): vs. Syracuse, vs. Arkansas, Florida State
2014-15 (4): vs. Louisville, @ Saint John's, vs. Georgia, @ Wake Forest
2015-16 (3): vs. Texas Tech, Clemson, vs. Oklahoma State
2016-17 (4): Saint John's, Arkansas, @ Florida State, vs. Vanderbilt
2017-18 (4): @ Providence, vs. Alabama, Miami, @ Arkansas
2018-19 (5): Utah, vs. Texas A&M, vs. Washington, @ Boston College, vs. Oklahoma State
2019-20 (6): vs. Oklahoma, @ Butler, @ Utah, DePaul, Clemson, vs. Oklahoma State
2020-21 (1): Boston College
2021-22 (2): @ Pitt, @ Mississippi State
2022-23 (3): DePaul, @ Virginia Tech, Mississippi State

Home
: 11
Road: 11
Neutral: 13
Average Per Season: 3.5
Thanks for the work. I'd be interested in knowing the average per season for all P6 teams, which if it's not listed somewhere, please don't bother doing the work.

Also, we should probably be looking at whether the schedule includes top 100-150 teams regardless of conference. Any of the top 3-4 teams in the A10, Mountain West, or Big West are equivalent to at least middle tier P6 squads and way better than a diet made up entirely of 300ish teams like the Maines or USC Upstates of the world.

Thanks for the work. I'd be interested in knowing the average per season for all P6 teams, which if it's not listed somewhere, please don't bother doing the work.

Also, we should probably be looking at whether the schedule includes top 100-150 teams regardless of conference. Any of the top 3-4 teams in the A10, Mountain West, or Big West are equivalent to at least middle tier P6 squads and way better than a diet made up entirely of 300ish teams like the Maines or USC Upstates of the world.
Yep, agree 100% about including teams from other conferences that are in a certain "NET ranking range". I think top 100 would be a fair gauge. ... essentially top 100 is going to be NCAA or NIT-caliber teams.

But it's just easier to pinpoint "Power 6"!

Worth noting, Ben has yet to schedule a home & home. The Mississippi State home & home was scheduled under Pitino.

Now with no in-season tournament it would make sense to start at least one home & home this season, but my hunch is we're more likely to see a neutral site game somewhere. Perhaps Sioux Falls again?

Last edited:

Yep, agree 100% about including teams from other conferences that are in a certain "NET ranking range". I think top 100 would be a fair gauge. ... essentially top 100 is going to be NCAA or NIT-caliber teams.

But it's just easier to pinpoint "Power 6"!
DePaul from last year and Pitt from the year before would have failed that criteria. And, I believe those were both thrust upon the Gophers as part of league challenges anyway.

The sole indicator for the quality of this season and post season play will be our conference record. Bury yourself in minutia I don’t care. B1G wins is all that matters in 23-24. Minutia is fun. Enjoy it. Non-conference, just win them.

The sole indicator for the quality of this season and post season play will be our conference record. Bury yourself in minutia I don’t care. B1G wins is all that matters in 23-24. Minutia is fun. Enjoy it. Non-conference, just win them.
You don't care, but you're bothered enough to comment?

For the most part I agree with you, though. ... win Big Ten games!

Playing 10 cupcakes doesn't prepare you for the B1G and on the off chance a miracle occurs and MN is a bubble team, 10 cupcakes means we need 11-12 B1G wins, not 9-10.

Hopefully there is at least a home-and-home to be found somewhere.

You don't care, but you're bothered enough to comment?

For the most part I agree with you, though. ... win Big Ten games!
Your are by far the best at calculating the numbers. We do agree we have win our way into a winning conference record. At least 11-9 this year. We have the roster to do it even though we are young and new. Coaching and injuries will determine that. Please no season ending injuries.

Past performance does not guarantee future results. Go Gophers and raise NIL to keep these future stars.

Playing 10 cupcakes doesn't prepare you for the B1G and on the off chance a miracle occurs and MN is a bubble team, 10 cupcakes means we need 11-12 B1G wins, not 9-10.

Hopefully there is at least a home-and-home to be found somewhere.
I'm not confident of a decent non con schedule, but until it comes out, I will be hopeful. I'll throw out Utah, New Mexico, and Colorado State as games that I would be interested in, and probably not difficult to agree to a home and home.

I'm not confident of a decent non con schedule, but until it comes out, I will be hopeful. I'll throw out Utah, New Mexico, and Colorado State as games that I would be interested in, and probably not difficult to agree to a home and home.
Do all 3 and I'd give it a decent grade. The predecessor and two of the leading successor candidates. Show us you're better than them all, Ben. No need for all cupcakes. I've read from leading experts that you've got 4-5 All-B1G players on this roster.

Top Bottom