Probably not fun working for Brew if ...

diefirma

Reaction score
It's probably not much fun working for Brew if you are a non-performing coach. Withers left for a better offer and both he and Brew said they were still friends. Wither's defense was terrible however and the end result was he was gone. Dunbar couldn't / wouldn't implement a short running game, the O line wasn't very good and both Dunbar and Meyer got the boot despite (according to the rumor mill) Brew being told he couldn't fire Dunbar. This year the O line and O were not good at all, Weber went from 2ed team Big Ten to one of the worst QBs in the Big Ten. Rumors have Davis and Brew yelling at each other at one point during the season. Now Fisch and Davis are rumored to be looking for jobs.

I have no inside information I’m just trying to put two and two together. As someone once said “ Once is an accident, twice is coincidence but three times is enemy action.”

The bottom line seems to be perform or get out. I don't think Fisch and Davis are being pushed out but I do think Brew is demanding better performance and has probably started to monitor their activities closely. I doubt it is fun and games.

I, for one, have no problem with this. I spent most of my life in sales and sales management for large corporations and the ethic was the same - perform or get out. I also think it indicates Brew is driven to succeed. He must feel good coaching should be apparent immediately and he wasn't seeing enough of it last year. Neither did I. (I blame the Illinois loss on Fisch’s play calling in the first half) I think if Minnesota is ever to get to the next level the head coach, either Brew or someone else, has to have this kind of attitude.

Nice post that throws out a lot of material for thought. Unfortunately, it's like most everything else, just speculation. A couple of points, though. Dunbar came here after one year of not making another HC happy, from what we heard he seems to have a flexibility problem. A second point is, at least IMO, if I'm the head coach I'll hire whomever I have the money for and fire anyone on the staff. Let the unhappy AD do the same to me if he's got the cajones. If Maturi was that upset at Dunbar's firing and Brewster is still here, then we know who's got 'em and who doesn't. Not to say it makes him a good coach. Oh, oh, that brings up another point, sorry it's off your original topic: Has Brewster looked for a way out of here because he can't take his boss's nonsense? Hmmm.

It's probably not much fun working for Brew if you are a non-performing coach. Withers left for a better offer and both he and Brew said they were still friends. Wither's defense was terrible however and the end result was he was gone. Dunbar couldn't / wouldn't implement a short running game, the O line wasn't very good and both Dunbar and Meyer got the boot despite (according to the rumor mill) Brew being told he couldn't fire Dunbar. This year the O line and O were not good at all, Weber went from 2ed team Big Ten to one of the worst QBs in the Big Ten. Rumors have Davis and Brew yelling at each other at one point during the season. Now Fisch and Davis are rumored to be looking for jobs.

I have no inside information I’m just trying to put two and two together. As someone once said “ Once is an accident, twice is coincidence but three times is enemy action.”

The bottom line seems to be perform or get out. I don't think Fisch and Davis are being pushed out but I do think Brew is demanding better performance and has probably started to monitor their activities closely. I doubt it is fun and games.

I, for one, have no problem with this. I spent most of my life in sales and sales management for large corporations and the ethic was the same - perform or get out. I also think it indicates Brew is driven to succeed. He must feel good coaching should be apparent immediately and he wasn't seeing enough of it last year. Neither did I. (I blame the Illinois loss on Fisch’s play calling in the first half) I think if Minnesota is ever to get to the next level the head coach, either Brew or someone else, has to have this kind of attitude.

Or an indication he doesn't have a clue what he is doing and maybe many of these assistants realize this and those that have other opportunities are looking to take advantage of them. The Kool-Aid drinkers say that you need to have patience with Brewster because it takes time to build a program yet you praise Brewster for not having the same patience with his assistants to implement their plans. You do realize that Davis worked for Nick Saban, so if he is looking to leave I doubt it has little to do with not being able to handle the heat from Brewster.

Question

Or an indication he doesn't have a clue what he is doing and maybe many of these assistants realize this and those that have other opportunities are looking to take advantage of them. The Kool-Aid drinkers say that you need to have patience with Brewster because it takes time to build a program yet you praise Brewster for not having the same patience with his assistants to implement their plans. You do realize that Davis worked for Nick Saban, so if he is looking to leave I doubt it has little to do with not being able to handle the heat from Brewster.

Is Davis looking to leave? I know you said if, but I'm just curious.

BTW I agree that if he worked for Alvarez, Carroll, and Saban, a little heat from Brewster shouldn't ruffle him.

It's probably not much fun working for Brew if you are a non-performing coach. Withers left for a better offer and both he and Brew said they were still friends. Wither's defense was terrible however and the end result was he was gone.

Roof left for a better job, Withers made a lateral move.

All the coaching turnover does raise an eyebrow, but basically I think enough is out there to explain it all.
Withers got a d coordinator position in his home state of NC, no big suprise he would take it after a really disappointing season in 07.
Meyer struggled to adjust in 08 when quality senior starters left, he was legitimately let go. Although did anyone want him back here? Davis is a perceived upgrade.
Dunbar's firing has been rehashed again and again, he refused to adjust his scheme to account for short yardage scenarios in Big Ten play. He was fired due to a lack of flexibility, not a good trait for a coordinator.
Brewster has tried to get top notch offensive coaches here Kyle Shannahan, Heupel, Applewhite, he got Fisch who apparently is a hot commodity in the NFL.
Roof left for big bucks and a southern climate.
Bottom line if you look at the types of coaches Brewster has brought or tried to bring in they all have a pretty good pedigree. Coaches of this caliber will be sought after for other positions, it's inevitable.
Continuity is now key. It looks like Cosgrove and Lee will stick around on the defensive side.
Hopefully Fisch does too.

If any boss is worth his salt, it's not going to be fun working for him if you aren't meeting the expectations of your job.

I'd rather have coaches that are wanted elsewhere, than coaches that aren't wanted.

I'd rather have coaches that are wanted elsewhere, than coaches that aren't wanted.

I would too, but would also like to have coaches that are loyal to the head coach they work for and don't bail at the first opportunity to do so.

I would too, but would also like to have coaches that are loyal to the head coach they work for and don't bail at the first opportunity to do so.

Shawn Watson and Carl Pelini aren't going anywhere as far as I know, so your team should be fine.

So basically you're putting 2 and 2 together and saying that a head coach is demanding his sub coaches perform or they're out? What's next -- you going to tell us the sky is blue?

Going to UNC to coach under Butch Davis is a "lateral move" from a 1-11 Gopher Squad.

Since 2000, Gophers had been to 6 bowl games when he made the move, UNC had been to two and UNC was coming off a 4-8 season. I agree that Butch Davis is a better coach than Tim Brewster but the two programs were in similiar rebuilding modes - even more so for Butch and the Tar Heels and what he had inherited from John Bunting.

Since 2000, Gophers had been to 6 bowl games when he made the move, UNC had been to two and UNC was coming off a 4-8 season. I agree that Butch Davis is a better coach than Tim Brewster but the two programs were in similiar rebuilding modes - even more so for Butch and the Tar Heels and what he had inherited from John Bunting.

I really think the main motivation was to return to NC. He went home, it's as simple as that.

Maybe somebody should have told Withers that he was leaving a program that won 6 national titles during the McKinley Administration. Surely, he would've stayed.

Shawn Watson and Carl Pelini aren't going anywhere as far as I know, so your team should be fine.

LMAO well said dpodoll.

Unfortunately it's true though.

Wil Muschamp also declined the Tennessee job which is more good news for GG.
________
Cbr400

Maybe somebody should have told Withers that he was leaving a program that won 6 national titles during the McKinley Administration. Surely, he would've stayed.

A U of M administrator did tell him but Withers was more impressed about UNC's 28 women's soccer NCAA championships and the fact that Mia Hamm makes occasional visits to Chapel Hill.

Boy you sure showed me. You are correct that they are probably not going anywhere anytime soon, afterall Watson already turned down the OC job at Alabama 2 years ago that would have brought a $150,000 raise at the time. Imagine that an assistant coach turning down a job offer from another program.

A U of M administrator did tell him but Withers was more impressed about UNC's 28 women's soccer NCAA championships and the fact that Mia Hamm makes occasional visits to Chapel Hill.

I knew they were good, but 28? I just looked it up and it's 21 National Championships starting in 1981. That's 21 in 29 years; a 72% Championship percentage. Is this the most dominant team in college sports history? Simply WOW!

Isn't it the head coaches job to get coaches and especially coordinators who are going to succeed? I don't think it is fair just to blame Dunbar and Meyer and say that they just didn't get it done. Even if that was the case, it is still Brew's responsibility to hire the coaches. If he doesn't think that they are a good fit after being here, it is on him as much as it is on them. Also, with coaches taking other jobs, that is going to happen in college football. Look at just the past week how many high profile coaches took other jobs. College coaches are always going to be looking for the next job, for more money, and more prestige. Lastly, I just want to say, look at our offenses numbers and especially Adam Weber's numbers under Dunbar, and then under Fisch. Maybe we didn't have it that bad with Dunbar. And now the rumors are that Fisch and Tim Davis may be on the move (Fisch to Seattle and Davis to USC). Now where does that leave our offense? Adam Weber is going to be going into his senior year learning his 4th different system in 5 years. Don't tell me that is not partly the head coach's fault either.

Top Bottom