Pro Wrestling-Favorite Finishing Moves

coolhandgopher

Reaction score
My favorite finishing move is from a tag-team, which I'll get to in just a bit, but first I wanted to address the singles wrestling division. Giving it just a bit a thought, the move that emerged above all others, one that distinctly rose above the competitors is Sweet Chin Music from Shawn Michaels:

Alright, onto to the tag team division and a move that I've admired since I was in 8th grade and the Hart Foundation broke onto the scene. I don't even know that there was a name for it, but if executed in real life, I do believe a decapitation or two may have occurred:

Excellent thread. HBKs was pretty realistic and no doubt some took it hard to the face.

My favorite will always be the Stone Cold Stunner. Razor's Edge, comes in second. Just look cool, but not devastating.

I liked 3D by the Dudley Boyz.

Old School - Baron Von Raschke with the Claw.

Or Verne and Greg Gagne with the Sleeper hold.

AWA all the way.

Before my time. But I do listen to the Jim Cornette podcast religiously, so i learn a lot from him about the wresting territory days.

Not a finishing move, but one of my favorite ridiculous moves was the tremors unleashed by Earthquake in his prime of the WWF days:

Excellent thread. HBKs was pretty realistic and no doubt some took it hard to the face.

My favorite will always be the Stone Cold Stunner. Razor's Edge, comes in second. Just look cool, but not devastating.

I liked 3D by the Dudley Boyz.
The Stone Cold Stunner was definitely in consideration, especially with the theatrics that would always follow. Other contenders included Jake the Snake's DDT and Rick Rude's Rude Awakening and Superfly Snuka from the top rope.

I was most definitely a little Hulkamaniac in the mid to late 80s, but the leg drop is about the stupidest finishing move that you could come up with.

I was most definitely a little Hulkamaniac in the mid to late 80s, but the leg drop is about the stupidest finishing move that you could come up with.
100% agree. It's interesting that for several of the iconic wrestlers, their finishing move was rather pedestrian-as much as I enjoyed watching Ric Flair, Roddy Piper and The Rock, it certainly wasn't for their finishing moves.

The Stone Cold Stunner was definitely in consideration, especially with the theatrics that would always follow. Other contenders included Jake the Snake's DDT and Rick Rude's Rude Awakening and Superfly Snuka from the top rope.

I dont watch today's wresting. I'm more interested in hearing about what happened behind the scenes when I used to watch. Hence why I listen to the podcasts of Jim Cornette, Jim Ross, Eric Bischoff, Bruce Pritchard, and even Steve Austin.

That being said, present day wrestling really screwed up the finishers. They've made it that it CAN NOT be a good match unless one or both wrestlers kick out of the other's finishing move. Guess its not really a finisher then

The Macho Man...oh yeah!
screen-shot-2018-09-05-at-3-57-57-am.png

Last edited:

I loved Jake the Snake's and Iron Shiek's finishers. I really also enjoyed Million Dollar Man's theatrics. Theatrics might be a different thread.

I loved Jake the Snake's and Iron Shiek's finishers. I really also enjoyed Million Dollar Man's theatrics. Theatrics might be a different thread.
Speaking of Jake the Snake and finishing moves. Go to :22 seconds in.

I wonder how the script writing of that went.

Macho Man we will give you two bottles of your favorite pills if you let a de-venomized snake bite you.

Speaking of the Iron Shiek, my son spent the weekend with my parents. He got into some of my old toys and came home with a thumb wrestler, the Shiek's former partner, Nikolai Volkoff. I told him he should have kept looking, because I know for a fact that toy was a part of a set, and now the Junkyard Dog was all by himself. Grab Them Cakes.

Ok ok ok, i also like the peoples elbow, but only because it is ridiculous

I wonder how the script writing of that went.

Macho Man we will give you two bottles of your favorite pills if you let a de-venomized snake bite you.
There is actually a hulu special that is about the Macho Man. They go into detail about the whole thing. Jake explains it all. The "plan" didn't go as planned. It's called Dark Side of the Ring. I only saw that episode so far.

There is actually a hulu special that is about the Macho Man. They go into detail about the whole thing. Jake explains it all. The "plan" didn't go as planned. It's called Dark Side of the Ring. I only saw that episode so far.
Oh my ... that is fascinating. If that went by accident all the other people trying to help out are a bunch of clowns.

I'm also partial to the Jacknife Power Bomb and Bonzai Drop.

The Mandible Claw, Mankind. Only because Mick Foley is four of the greatest personalities of all time. Cactus Jack, Dude Love, Mankind, Mick Foley--am I missing any?

Top Bottom