Reaction score
ML in the 2nd half had the following stats:

Att: 14
Comp: 2
Yards: 47
INT: 4
TD: 0

QB rating (NFL): 1.488

I am pretty sure this is the worst half of passing in Gopher history with more the 10 attempts. Can any of the history buffs confirm this?

I am pretty sure this is the worst half of passing in Gopher history with more the 10 attempts. Can any of the history buffs confirm this?

Would it matter?

Gil Fash in 1973, maybe???? But he won that game.

Too many other ML7 games to look through...

12 - Consecutive passes thrown by Minnesota quarterback Mitch Leidner that were either incomplete or intercepted in the third and fourth quarters.

I told you that Bad Mitch would show up and he did big time.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

I told you that Bad Mitch would show up and he did big time.

There was never a doubt in my mind that he would. I am more curious about this 'Good Mitch' fellow that people speak of...I think he last played vs. IndSt

There was never a doubt in my mind that he would. I am more curious about this 'Good Mitch' fellow that people speak of...I think he last played vs. IndSt

Good Mitch was on full display in the first half as he was instrumental in building the lead they had and it could have been bigger if the receivers had actually caught the ball.

That said in the second half the worst possible version of bad Mitch showed up and had as bad a half as any player could possibly have.

Game really summed up the Leidner years in a nutshell, when he was on he could be really good and when he was off he could be really really really bad. Most of the time he fell somewhere in between.

His TD to INT ratio has to be at or near worst for a power 5 QB. Same with INTS per attempt.. I've never seen anything like it.

Possible record?

I've defended Leidner and stuck up for him over the last two years. And now, I just feel let down. By virtually any measuring point, Leidner played worse this year than last year. And he seemed to make his mistakes at the worst possible time of a game. Some people rise to the occasion - Leidner sadly crumbled under the weight of leadership. I feel bad for the guy - but I'm also ticked off at the coaches for not doing anything about it. If they're coaching him to not make mistakes, then either they are terrible coaches, or Leidner doesn't listen. Either way, there was a disconnect with the offense this year. In retrospect, the decision to dump Limegrover as OC may be the mistake that costs Claeys his job - because I don't think Johnson was ready to be an OC at a P5 school.

Gil Fash in 1973, maybe???? But he won that game.

Metrolax- When I understood what this thread was about, I immediately thought of Gil Fash and the incredible 1973 WIN at Illinois. Never before or since have the Gophers won a Big 10 game while displaying such stunning inepitude. Fash completed 2 of 12 passes with 4 interceptions for 50 yards. Minnesota had 33 yards rushing on 40 attempts and managed 4 total first downs. Illinois had 440 yards of offense and 20 first downs. How did the Gophers win this 19-16 contest? They returned a blocked punt for a touchdown. They recovered a fumble at the Illinois 5- yard line and the Gophers scored with 4 minutes left to cut the deficit to 13-12. A 2-point pass failed but Illinois quickly lost its 6th fumble of the day and Fash managed a 30-yard touchdown pass with 3 minutes to play. I would say that Fash was much worse than Leidner was today but he was an emergency starter, not a guy with 40+ starts.

Metrolax- When I understood what this thread was about, I immediately thought of Gil Fash and the incredible 1973 WIN at Illinois. Never before or since have the Gophers won a Big 10 game while displaying such stunning inepitude. Fash completed 2 of 12 passes with 4 interceptions for 50 yards. Minnesota had 33 yards rushing on 40 attempts and managed 4 total first downs. Illinois had 440 yards of offense and 20 first downs. How did the Gophers win this 19-16 contest? They returned a blocked punt for a touchdown. They recovered a fumble at the Illinois 5- yard line and the Gophers scored with 4 minutes left to cut the deficit to 13-12. A 2-point pass failed but Illinois quickly lost its 6th fumble of the day and Fash managed a 30-yard touchdown pass with 3 minutes to play. I would say that Fash was much worse than Leidner was today but he was an emergency starter, not a guy with 40+ starts.

This is great stuff. I love football.

And to relate it to 2016, clearly because they won that portended great things in the season and years to come.

83 yards of offense? Goldy bar the door.

His TD to INT ratio has to be at or near worst for a power 5 QB. Same with INTS per attempt.. I've never seen anything like it.

Possible record?

The record set might be 2picks in 19seconds

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The record set might be 2picks in 19seconds

Maybe also 4 picks without a competition in between them...that has to be difficult to do for any player. Heck, you would think the coaches would call a gimme play or the QB would be pulled to make that feat impossible.

Maybe also 4 picks without a competition in between them...that has to be difficult to do for any player. Heck, you would think the coaches would call a gimme play or the QB would be pulled to make that feat impossible.

Mitch truly displayed his full range yesterday. To go from dominant to incompetent over the course of one game is truly impressive. At halftime he was dominating the game and in the second half he helped blow it up into a million pieces with some terrible throws.

I can see getting down on Tracy and Mitch but I go back to our OC. He loses his playbook and put Mitch in a bad spot. He got conservative and did not continue to use the whole field. Wisconsin jammed the middle (where we run our base plays) and played up on the receivers because Mitch is not the most accurate. He could never step into his throws causing him to pass high. Our OC got out coached and did not adjust. Let's continue to build brick by brick. Not sure we can bank on improvement by blowing it up.

Went to breakfast in downtown Madison this morning. Literally everyone I overheard at the restaurant was laughing in disbelief at Mitch's stats.

Went to breakfast in downtown Madison this morning. Literally everyone I overheard at the restaurant was laughing in disbelief at Mitch's stats.

I doubt most fans have ever seen a spectacular quarterback meltdown quite like that. We are witnesses to history.

Top Bottom