Pretty easy solution to Friday night games

Some guy, your argument is not 100% wrong by any means. But it is more than 0% wrong, and I will choose to disagree with it. Especially if you’re going to pretend that schools like Coon Rapids and Park Center are exactly the same thing as White Bear Lake and Shakopee, simply because of enrollment.

There is already an enrollment calculation that accounts for Free and Reduced lunch. They use this adjusted number to classify teams for all sports.

So we account for that when classifying...then don’t like the results so ignore them and move another team down anyways.

Good luck next year when Brainerd is a big school and Totino is 5A.

And my argument has and continues to be that historical competitiveness, as well as participation numbers, should be additional factors that weight/modify the base enrollment statistic, for terms of classification. Really no different than relagation ... at the end of the day the most competitive teams should be playing each other and have a post-season bracket amongst themselves. Then next tier down the same, next tier down the same, and so on.

Fridays are a crusher at work and getting down there is a hassle by game time. Ill pass.

And my argument has and continues to be that historical competitiveness, as well as participation numbers, should be additional factors that weight/modify the base enrollment statistic, for terms of classification. Really no different than relagation ... at the end of the day the most competitive teams should be playing each other and have a post-season bracket amongst themselves. Then next tier down the same, next tier down the same, and so on.

Agree with this.

Meanwhile Caledonia on a 50 game win streak. Owatonna and Elk River great again.

Anoka and Eagan get crushed.

If we are going to do it for everyone. Fine.

Don’t do it for coon Rapids and no one else.

Relegation and promotion would be fun. Works great for EPL. Doesn't work as well for bus rides across the metro in rush hour traffic, unfortunately. There are states that use a "success formula" for playoff assignments, but leave teams alone to schedule their regular seasons however they'd like.

The MHSAA system isn't perfect (what is?), but I actually think they got it right with district play during the season. For example, there are now a few teams in 6A who get to play a 5A schedule, have some fun, pick up a few wins, then go get crushed in the playoffs like they did every year anyway. Now it's just by a team they didn't play in the regular season, rather than a team that beat them by 40 a couple weeks earlier.

Agree with this.

Meanwhile Caledonia on a 50 game win streak. Owatonna and Elk River great again.

Anoka and Eagan get crushed.

If we are going to do it for everyone. Fine.

Don’t do it for coon Rapids and no one else.

Sorry, I didn't intend for my posts to come off as wanting to do it just for Coon Rapids. That was just an example off the top of my head as a program that I'm aware of had benefited earlier in the updated football scheduling process that I believe debuted a couple/few years ago now, rather than being forever and always stuck behind Blaine, Champlin, Maple Groves of the world in the NW Suburban.

I would like to see the system revamped again, to look at enrollment, district socioeconomics trends, participation, and historic competitiveness, and try to group "most like" schools together. Eagan, Burnsville, Apple Valley ... shouldn't necessarily be grouped together with Rosemount, Lakeville's, and Prior Lake. And so on.

Relegation and promotion would be fun. Works great for EPL. Doesn't work as well for bus rides across the metro in rush hour traffic, unfortunately. There are states that use a "success formula" for playoff assignments, but leave teams alone to schedule their regular seasons however they'd like.

That doesn't work for me. That's what we had before, and we had Wayzata playing St Louis Park, Lakeville playing Burnsville, Eden Prairie playing Chaska (back before they split with Chan and were bigger, but perennial losers), etc.

The districts are better for regular season.

The MHSAA system isn't perfect (what is?), but I actually think they got it right with district play during the season. For example, there are now a few teams in 6A who get to play a 5A schedule, have some fun, pick up a few wins, then go get crushed in the playoffs like they did every year anyway. Now it's just by a team they didn't play in the regular season, rather than a team that beat them by 40 a couple weeks earlier.

I think the next step is to do away with the class, "all inclusive" brackets. I think the post-season brackets should be limited to 8 teams each, and the brackets be defined by taking the best teams from 2-4 district groups. There shouldn't be an extra round or two of playoffs just so 0-8 teams can be included.

I hate Friday night college football.

Saturdays are for college
Fridays are for high school

Every big school metro football program in the metro has a game on Friday night.

We are in one of the only states who has a Friday night in October with Zero count then ZERO high school football games.

Mark Coyle should offer big ten to host a Friday night big ten football game every MEA Friday. Literally no conflicts with the rest of the football community that gets annoyed by these Friday starts.

This is an interesting idea, however there is currently a push by some coaches to re-do the Friday-Wednesday-Tuesday-Saturday schedule that exists around the MEA break.

http://www.startribune.com/citing-s...es-lament-crunch-of-football-games/498271211/

This is an interesting idea, however there is currently a push by some coaches to re-do the Friday-Wednesday-Tuesday-Saturday schedule that exists around the MEA break.

http://www.startribune.com/citing-s...es-lament-crunch-of-football-games/498271211/

Sorry to go a little off-topic here but the article talks about only having the top 4 teams in each section make the playoffs. That would be hard to to do for the small schools. Teams/conferences are so spread out and in some sections you have teams from multiple conferences. My sophomore year, we were the #7 team at 5-3. The #2 was 7-1 from another conference. We beat the crap out of them because our conference was much better but there was no way to know ahead of time as teams didn't play each other from the different conference during the regular season. The only way to make it work would be to make the section the conference but that would mean a lot of traveling and scheduling would be extremely difficult.

It works for the big schools because most of them are within the metro area.

Sorry to go a little off-topic here but the article talks about only having the top 4 teams in each section make the playoffs. That would be hard to to do for the small schools. Teams/conferences are so spread out and in some sections you have teams from multiple conferences. My sophomore year, we were the #7 team at 5-3. The #2 was 7-1 from another conference. We beat the crap out of them because our conference was much better but there was no way to know ahead of time as teams didn't play each other from the different conference during the regular season. The only way to make it work would be to make the section the conference but that would mean a lot of traveling and scheduling would be extremely difficult.

It works for the big schools because most of them are within the metro area.

This is why I would add a 9th game to start of season and be over .500 to make playoffs:

6A could stay as is
5A would have 26 teams this year
4A 26
3A 27
2A 30
1A 30
9M 30

This would eliminate the need for Tuesday games after MEA and allow teams extra rest after the 9 game season. Then you are playing every Fri/Sat after MEA weekend.

Traveling is the fact of life when you're deep outstate. Why would scheduling be difficult? If you know ahead of time that these are the teams in your (regular season) district ... then you do the schedule with those teams.

Maybe the team bus leaves at noon on Friday, game starts at 4-430, you get back late. Like I said it's just life in rural areas.

This is why I would add a 9th game to start of season and be over .500 to make playoffs:

6A could stay as is
5A would have 26 teams this year
4A 26
3A 27
2A 30
1A 30
9M 30

This would eliminate the need for Tuesday games after MEA and allow teams extra rest after the 9 game season. Then you are playing every Fri/Sat after MEA weekend.

Sound like great step in the right direction for me.

As usual, politics and people fighting to keep things the way they are would probably kill it. We only just got Sunday alcohol sales ...

I was on campus last night, lots of traffic signs saying

STADUM
FOOTBALL
7PM

EXPECT
DELAYS

Not sure there will be that many delays....

Traveling is the fact of life when you're deep outstate. Why would scheduling be difficult? If you know ahead of time that these are the teams in your (regular season) district ... then you do the schedule with those teams.

Maybe the team bus leaves at noon on Friday, game starts at 4-430, you get back late. Like I said it's just life in rural areas.

Or they could just leave it as is for the smaller schools. It only seems to be the big schools that are complaining about the playoff schedule.

I was on campus last night, lots of traffic signs saying

STADUM
FOOTBALL
7PM

EXPECT
DELAYS

Not sure there will be that many delays....

The influx of ticket-selling scalpers drifting out onto University Ave. will slow things down.

Or they could just leave it as is for the smaller schools. It only seems to be the big schools that are complaining about the playoff schedule.

No ... the complaint is the health of the players, with respect to playing so many playoff games in such a short time.

Now granted, you can solve that problem by simply making it so not every single team in the class makes it into the playoff bracket. But then you brought up the complaint of driving distance.

So would you rather your son have a concussion, or have to spend a few more hours on a bus?

So if you play 2 games in 4 days vs 2 games in 7 days, the concussion rate goes up significantly? Not sure I buy that.
No ... the complaint is the health of the players, with respect to playing so many playoff games in such a short time.

Now granted, you can solve that problem by simply making it so not every single team in the class makes it into the playoff bracket. But then you brought up the complaint of driving distance.

So would you rather your son have a concussion, or have to spend a few more hours on a bus?

Sent from my RS988 using Tapatalk

I brought up multiple issues when it comes to smaller schools.

Your last question is ridiculous. Is there any evidence that if you have 5 days off between games compared to 6 that you have an increased chance of getting a concussion?

I brought up multiple issues when it comes to smaller schools.

Your last question is ridiculous. Is there any evidence that if you have 5 days off between games compared to 6 that you have an increased chance of getting a concussion?

Your response (similar to Word's) is ridiculous ... the article cited was saying 4 games. I'm talking about reducing the number of games from 4 to less than 4.

Top Bottom