Press conference video from Ben Johnson

First two teams Ben coached didn’t have enough talent for us to even evaluate his coaching. Good news is that’s seemingly no longer the case, bad news is we’ve seen the coaching now.
It’s always been the coaching!!!

The troubling part for me is that after 2 lousy seasons and a bunch of mediocrity before that last night could have been the start of drawing fans back in. I truly believe this years team will be much more competitive and entertaining but they are probably going to need to string together some Big Ten wins early to have any chance of generating some real interest.

In the presser did anyone ask him why he called a time-out right after Missouri's double technical and ejection? We were on a role, they got hit with a gut punch (the ejection), and we were the ones that called the time-out. That didn't make any sense to me, and from there on the game switched to Missouri's favor. We sure could have used that time-out later in the game.

Great answers from both.

Positive for Cam and accountability on failing to execute down the stretch - not throwing anyone under the bus.
Good answers but their coach purposefully slowed them down causing them to play lazy and resort to last years playing style and unfortunately this isn’t practice. This is a real game you were winning and only Cam’s second! Good answers but Ben better learn from this and fast. They all can. It’s a hard pill to swallow but it’s better it happens now then later in the season.

They
The troubling part for me is that after 2 lousy seasons and a bunch of mediocrity before that last night could have been the start of drawing fans back in. I truly believe this years team will be much more competitive and entertaining but they are probably going to need to string together some Big Ten wins early to have any chance of generating some real interest.
Agree. Not only lost a game they had won, but also lost a chance with the fans.

Good answers but their coach purposefully slowed them down causing them to play lazy and resort to last years playing style and unfortunately this isn’t practice. This is a real game you were winning and only Cam’s second! Good answers but Ben better learn from this and fast. They all can. It’s a hard pill to swallow but it’s better it happens now then later in the season.
My post was only commenting on how they comported themselves after a brutal L; never said anything contradictory to your thoughts - which I agree with.

When you come down the court every single time with 9 minutes to go trying to run clock, you never get your offense back.

We also don't have anyone who can get past someone when the defense tightens other than the guy who sat on the bench.

Unfortunately, I think we are still going to see some long stretches where we don't score in Big 10 play.

In the presser did anyone ask him why he called a time-out right after Missouri's double technical and ejection? We were on a role, they got hit with a gut punch (the ejection), and we were the ones that called the time-out. That didn't make any sense to me, and from there on the game switched to Missouri's favor. We sure could have used that time-out later in the game.
My guess is the timeout was used to make sure nobody lost their head but yeah in hindsight it would have been nice to have that timeout down the stretch when things were going sideways.

Ryan James was tweeting that in his opinion, the Gophers lost that game on defense. He said they just got lazy on defense down the stretch and gave up too many easy baskets.

FWIW - James also said that the Gopher coaches were yelling at the players trying to get them to make adjustments on defense, and the players didn't do what the coaches were telling them to do.

so he said the players were as much to blame as the coaches.

which does not excuse the coaches for the offensive issues.

I wanted Johnson to be the guy, but he definitely is not and not even close. Let me know when new coach comes in.

There’s some hope with this team. It’s a pretty good roster. Success will depend in large part on in-game management. Im not sure Thorson has the chops to be in the ear of Ben. Wish it was someone like Martelli.

There's a hot take...The coach looks defeated after his team was just defeated. Good stuff👍
good one!

He knows he screwed the pooch by having his point guard on the bench. Hot take, he didn't look like that in some of our blowout losses last year.

There’s some hope with this team. It’s a pretty good roster. Success will depend in large part on in-game management. Im not sure Thorson has the chops to be in the ear of Ben. Wish it was someone like Martelli.
I wish Ben would do more than just cross his arms when things are going bad. Hawkins got literally destroyed going to the basket during the run, and he didn't even go after the refs. Arms folded and staring blankly seems rather odd for the last 10 minutes.

Let me know when new coach comes in.

Actually, you don't need to rely on us. Obviously, you have internet. Here's what you do:

Beginning sometime in the second week of March 2024, go to GOOGLE and type in "Minnesota basketball coach Ben Johnson" in the search bar once each day until the end of the month. If your search doesn't bring up news that he has been fired by then, it probably isn't happening.

Ryan James was tweeting that in his opinion, the Gophers lost that game on defense. He said they just got lazy on defense down the stretch and gave up too many easy baskets.

FWIW - James also said that the Gopher coaches were yelling at the players trying to get them to make adjustments on defense, and the players didn't do what the coaches were telling them to do.

so he said the players were as much to blame as the coaches.

which does not excuse the coaches for the offensive issues.
All they had to do was score occasionally to hold them off. We literally couldn't score which was all on the offense.

Worst coach in Gopher history. Any sport.
He's from the Pitino tree and should never been hired knowing that fact and knowing his "contribution" to the program. Still blame Coyle for the hire and putting CBJ in the position to fail.

Top Bottom