President Erik kaler on today's Sports Huddle

DL65

Reaction score
Quick summary of Q&A of Minnesota President Kaler:

1) "Athletics is important to its (school) mission and visibility . . . when we beat a team from a border state, we feel good about ourselves."

2) Sid referenced increases in funds/donations to schools when Wisconsin and NW went to the Rose Bowl: Kaler added to TCU to the equation. "It's a matter of good will." People want to be part of a winning organization/school.

3) Sid asked about eliminating some sports teams at the U: "They all provide opportunities for student athletes and they have a fan base." It's important to grow revenues/sales of the top line teams (football, men's basketball, men's hockey, etc.). He also mentioned the importance of fund raising. He also said eliminating a sport team or two wouldn not produce great savings. Would look to new AD and his/her recommendation.

4) Talked about the importance of the BTN. The U's share is 7 million dollars. School's visiibility via BTN is also important.

5) New AD having Minnesota connections or from without: "I jokingly told someone, I'm willing to pay moving expenses." He then said he moved back to the U. With emphasis, "I'm looking for the best possible person."

6) Sid referenced the Gopher football team not winning a championship since 1967: "History is what it is . . . we control what we do moving forward . . . I expect a championship . . . I drive my car better looking forward instead of through the rear view mirror."

7) Talking about Twin Cities and the U as selling points (Mona asked the question): "There's not a venue in the Big 10 that exceeds the Twin cities." He went on to talk about the business and internship opportunities for student athletes and facilities (TCF Band Stadium). He strongly believes, "Community is tired of losing."

8) Talked briefly about Tubby Smith extension following a question by Sid: He said he'll wait until the new AD is in place.

9) Mona a raised a question that's been a big topic on GopherHole: Students and athletics. President Kaler spent some time addressing the importance of creating a game day experience and having a vigrous student stection. He said, "Maybe not charging as much." (He acknowledged he's received some negativity when he's raised the question/possibility.)

10) Concern about ticket renewals: "We were the last school (in Big 10) to ask for additional funds to reseat ticket holders." He said they're also aware and appreciate the loyal/longevity of ticket holders; however, he mentioned that frequently they (fans) complain about Williams and Mariucci amenities, but when they ask for donations they don't seem interested. Kaler reminded the listeners that donations as part of seating are tax deductible.

11) Facility for Basketball: "My thoughts are very preliminary . . . I'm a big fan of Williams Arena." As far as remodeling, "There's a lot of moving pieces" New AD will address the subject and, of course, fund raising will be a big component.

12) $2,000 for student athletes: "My view, a needs based situation." Would only be in favor of $2,000 for student athletes if it has a needs based model.

Go Gophers!!

Very good. I agree that eliminating non-revenue sports is an insignificant budget issue. It's an excuse for some without validity.

I think he showed us a little of his hand on the AD hire. I think he's going to swing for the fences.

"He mentioned that frequently they (fans) complain about Williams and Mariucci amenities, but when they ask for donations they don't seem interested."

He nailed Minnesota fans on the head. If you're going to go...go all the way. A $250 seat license is less than $5 a week. That's a mocha at Starbucks.

Highwayman... Don't you know it is easier to complain and say why the present situation is bad and do nothing about it vs recognizing the problem and taking/making changes and doing your part to make things better?

Highwayman... Don't you know it is easier to complain and say why the present situation is bad and do nothing about it vs recognizing the problem and taking/making changes and doing your part to make things better?

I assume you are agreeing with me. I am amazed at the amount of grousing about football ticket prices and seat licenses on this board, even by those who want a more "high end" program at Minnesota.

Takes money, boys. Put yer money where your mouth is. I'm not a rich guy, but I am proud to contribute to the football program. $50 a month for two years gets your your name on the stadium, and a warm feeling. I even re-upped for another 2 years.

Heck, that gets you 60% of the way to a parking spot at Lot 37. That, and two $250 seat licences cost you $21.16 a week, and it's mostly tax deductible.

I assume you are agreeing with me. I am amazed at the amount of grousing about football ticket prices and seat licenses on this board, even by those who want a more "high end" program at Minnesota.

Takes money, boys. Put yer money where your mouth is. I'm not a rich guy, but I am proud to contribute to the football program. $50 a month for two years gets you your name on the stadium, and a warm feeling. I even re-upped for another 2 years.

Heck, that gets you 60% of the way to a parking spot at Lot 37. That, and two $250 seat licences cost you $21.16 a week, and it's mostly tax deductible.

Both you and President Kaler nailed The Minnesota Way. If we're told it costs $1,000,000 we'll give you $500,000 and then spend an eternity bitching about what a lousy job you did. Worse yet we'll constantly complain that you should just pay for it yourself.

Spending money on the program is a self funding proposition IMO.

Top Bottom