Preseason Field of 68 Projection Has A Few Surprises

SelectionSunday

Reaction score
EDEN PRAIRIE, MN – With the official start of practice today, here’s a look at my final 2022-23 preseason NCAA Tournament “Field of 68” projection. There are at least a few surprises where you’ll wonder what in the heck is this guy smoking, but mostly you’ll see a lot of familiar faces.

For good measure I’ll throw in my Big Ten regular season, and postseason Final Four, NIT, CBI, and The Basketball Classic (TBC) projections. Fire away, comments and feedback are always encouraged!

An * denotes the projected automatic qualifier in a multiple-bid conference. Last season’s final NET ranking is noted in parentheses.

FINAL PRESEASON FIELD OF 68 PROJECTION (September 26, 2022)
America East (1): Vermont (56)

American (2): *Houston (2), Memphis (31)

ACC (6): Duke (10), *North Carolina (17), Virginia Tech (22), Miami (47), Virginia (68), Syracuse (83)

ASUN (1): Liberty (118)

Atlantic 10 (2): Dayton (52), *Saint Louis (66)

Big East (6): Villanova (6), UConn (18), Providence (24), Xavier (37), *Creighton (51), Saint John’s (64)

Big Sky (1): Montana State (128)

Big South (1): Gardner-Webb (170)

Big Ten (7): Purdue (12), Iowa (14), *Illinois (15), Wisconsin (25), Michigan (27), Michigan State (38), Indiana (44)

Big XII (7): *Kansas (3), Baylor (5), Texas Tech (8), Texas (16), TCU (33), Oklahoma (39), Oklahoma State (45)

Big West (1): Long Beach (159)

Colonial (1): UNC-Wilmington (146)

Conference USA (1): North Texas (55)

Horizon (1): Northern Kentucky (198)

Ivy (1): Penn (213)

MAAC (1): Iona (89)

MAC (1): Kent (138)

MEAC (1): Coppin (301)

Missouri Valley (1): Drake (85)

Mountain West (3): San Diego State (30), *Wyoming (58), New Mexico (165)

NEC (1): Wagner (135)

OVC (1): Morehead (115)

Pac 12 (4): Arizona (4), *UCLA (11), Oregon (76), Arizona State (100)

Patriot (1): Colgate (124)

SEC (7): Tennessee (7), *Kentucky (9), Auburn (13), Arkansas (21), Alabama (32), Texas A&M (36), Florida (61)

SoCon (1): Furman (82)

Southland (1): Nicholls (192)

SWAC (1): Texas Southern (196)

Summit (1): ORU (160)

Sun Belt (1): Texas State (127)

WCC (2): *Gonzaga (1), Saint Mary’s (19)

WAC (1): New Mexico State (78)

First 4 Out: Ohio State (23), UAB (49), Missouri State (72), Florida State (104)

16 to Watch: San Francisco (26), USC (40), Iowa State (41), Notre Dame (43), Seton Hall (48), VCU (57), BYU (59), Towson (71), West Virginia (73), Rutgers (80), Toledo (86), Tulane (94), Middle Tennessee (95), Cincinnati (96), Stanford (106), Georgetown (194)

Non-Power 6 At-Large Bids (5): Saint Mary’s (19), San Diego State (30), Memphis (31), Dayton (52), New Mexico (165)
------------------------------------------------
Final 4: Creighton, Houston, Kentucky, North Carolina

National Champion: North Carolina

NIT Champion: Ohio State

CBI Champion: Toledo

The Basketball Classic Champion: Abilene Christian
------------------------------------------------
New to Division I: Lindenwood (OVC), Queens (ASUN), Southern Indiana (OVC), Stonehill (NEC), Texas A&M-Commerce (Southland)

Last edited:

pitino back in the dance before johnson?!
Lobos and Arizona State are probably my two biggest leaps. Gut feeling.

Richard certainly has the guards, but they’ll need more than House & Mashburn to get there.

Thanks Hodger. Out of curiosity, how far behind are the Gophers from say, the 8-10 list to position ourselves for the NIT?

Go Gophers!!

Thanks Hodger. Out of curiosity, how far behind are the Gophers from say, the 8-10 list to position ourselves for the NIT?

Go Gophers!!
Gophers probably need to go about 17-14 to put themselves in position for a NIT bid. Conservatively assuming they go 9-2 in their soft non-conference slate, that means winning 8 conference games. Doable because I’m confident only in the top 6 teams in the Big Ten as sure-fire NCAA tourney teams, but difficult nonetheless. Obviously, can’t afford any additional key injuries, especially Battle and/or Garcia.

Lobos and Arizona State are probably my two biggest leaps. Gut feeling.

Richard certainly has the guards, but they’ll need more than House & Mashburn to get there.
Those two guards are talented, but very inefficient. They will benefit from a down MWC. We will see.

Selection, how many years away are the Gophers from NCAA bid? Do you expect big strides this year from Thompson?
I have the same expectations for every Gophers coach no matter the circumstances. Year 3 I expect them to legitimately be “competing for” a NCAA bid, Year 4 I expect them to make the NCAA tourney. I certainly think Ben’s on track for that if Battle & Garcia stick around for 2023-24.

No strong feeling about Thompson, but Gophers need him to be a serviceable big guy off the bench. Get stronger, and help on the boards.

I have the same expectations for every Gophers coach no matter the circumstances. Year 3 I expect them to legitimately be “competing for” a NCAA bid, Year 4 I expect them to make the NCAA tourney. I certainly think Ben’s on track for that if Battle & Garcia stick around for 2023-24.

No strong feeling about Thompson, but Gophers need him to be a serviceable big guy off the bench. Get stronger, and help on the boards.

Any reports/sightings if he bulked up this summer?

No strong feeling about Thompson, but Gophers need him to be a serviceable big guy off the bench. Get stronger, and help on t
I in fact do have strong feeling about Thompson. If I were a foot and a half taller I could be him (we do weight the same) I am looking for a big year from him, you can take it to the bank,

Top Bottom