Pregame Plaza Show...not quite University Ave, but...

awag777

Second Row of Williams Arena
Reaction score
Sorry if this has been posted already, but the band plans on playing the plaza show on Oak Street between Mariucci and TCF. Nice upgrade from playing tucked in behind the MN Daily building last year.

Also, University of South Dakota plans to bring their full band and perform at halftime. Additionally, Penn State and USC will send Pep Bands, and Ohio State will bring their full band--should be a treat for people with any interest in the bands.

A week til we kick off. Woo.

OSU Band is coming? Sweet. Makes me jealous we only had Indiana and Wisconsin visit when I was in band.

OSU Band is coming? Sweet. Makes me jealous we only had Indiana and Wisconsin visit when I was in band.

I will definitely be going to the OSU game now, always heard their band is sweet.

Another great benefit to the new stadium. Hardly any visiting bands came to the Dome, other than the border rivals. Last year we got Cal's pep band, this year USC is following suit, and we get PSU and tOSU? Awesome.

No brainer

I'm not sure why they didn't play on the plaza last year, seems like a no brainer to me. Just one of many moves that needs to be made to improve the game day experience at TCF. Good to see some opposing bands coming to TCF.

Message to our band...it would be nice to travel at least once per decade. This is a Luckhardt policy that needs to be undone. We haven't traveled since 1997:mad::mad::mad:

Message to our band...it would be nice to travel at least once per decade. This is a Luckhardt policy that needs to be undone. We haven't traveled since 1997:mad::mad::mad:

AMEN! I understand it's related to money, but everybody else manages.

I'm not sure why they didn't play on the plaza last year, seems like a no brainer to me. Just one of many moves that needs to be made to improve the game day experience at TCF. Good to see some opposing bands coming to TCF.

Luckhardt had planned to travel to Michigan in 2004 (I think) but they made it their homecoming so the band couldn't go and it was too late to make arrangements (hotel, etc.) at another game that year.

Band had to scrape together money to go to the State Fair this year, I don't think anyone is traveling anywhere anytime soon.

Luckhardt had planned to travel to Michigan in 2004 (I think) but they made it their homecoming so the band couldn't go and it was too late to make arrangements (hotel, etc.) at another game that year.

We did take that 70 person band to Iowa in 2003 I think. I drove the 15 passenger van behind the bus. That's as close as a Band Big Ten trip as I ever had aside from the bowl games.

TBDBITL will show us what kind of acoustics TCF really has when it comes to a college marching band. I'm eager to see them again. I was at the fair today and took a look at how many woodwinds the band has, and it's still too many.

What is the difference between a pep band and the full band?

Thanks...

I'm not sure why they didn't play on the plaza last year, seems like a no brainer to me. Just one of many moves that needs to be made to improve the game day experience at TCF.

+1

The athletic department and the university in general needs to continue to do all they can to sell the gameday experience outside of the stadium. MHO.

All great adds. Bands are an important part of Big Ten Football, and visiting bands only add to that. It will be fun to see tOSU and Penn State this year.

In my four years in the Gopher band, we traveled to a grand total of ZERO away regular season games...and we barely got to go to the two bowl games we qualified for in my time. It is indeed all about the money, and we have to credit the administration for finding a way to send us to those bowl games - but it's such a huge missed opportunity to not even send pep bands to a few away games. It would make a difference on and off the field, so I'd love to see it happen someday.

All great adds. Bands are an important part of Big Ten Football, and visiting bands only add to that. It will be fun to see tOSU and Penn State this year.

In my four years in the Gopher band, we traveled to a grand total of ZERO away regular season games...and we barely got to go to the two bowl games we qualified for in my time. It is indeed all about the money, and we have to credit the administration for finding a way to send us to those bowl games - but it's such a huge missed opportunity to not even send pep bands to a few away games. It would make a difference on and off the field, so I'd love to see it happen someday.

Hopefully with the addition of Nebraska and the BT Title game, there can be an influx of cash to make this happen. Something tells me, though, that it won't go to the band. They already benefit from one of the finest facilities to play and practice in all of America. Unfortunately our football team is just not that profitable to support every single need.

The only way we will get a traveling band or a pep traveling band is to have a meaningful away game late in the year. One of the reasons why I'm sure that a band was sent to Iowa in 2003 was to show bowl reps we were more serious about that year's team. At that point in the year remember we were 9-2 and looking at high-level bowls.

I still don't get how they plan to have both the pregame band concert AND the WCCO pregame show both operating from the plaza one hour before kick off.

Hopefully with the addition of Nebraska and the BT Title game, there can be an influx of cash to make this happen. Something tells me, though, that it won't go to the band. They already benefit from one of the finest facilities to play and practice in all of America. Unfortunately our football team is just not that profitable to support every single need.

The only way we will get a traveling band or a pep traveling band is to have a meaningful away game late in the year. One of the reasons why I'm sure that a band was sent to Iowa in 2003 was to show bowl reps we were more serious about that year's team. At that point in the year remember we were 9-2 and looking at high-level bowls.

I'm not sure how other schools cover the cost, but I don't necessarily think the football team's revenues should have to do it. Those funds already have plenty of purposes (weight room equipment, covering non-revenue sports, etc.). I think if fans want to see the band travel, they maybe ought to earmark donations to the U to supporting the band. Former band members could organize a fundraising drive to do just that.

Am also excited for the flyover for the Penn State game, and the parachute drop for the opener. Wish they'd wave the 1000 foot rule or whatever it is for the flyover so you could really feel 'em and hear 'em.

Game Day Schedule

Game Day guide is wrong - plaza pep rally happens right after victory walk 2 hours before kickoff.

Wish they'd wave the 1000 foot rule or whatever it is for the flyover so you could really feel 'em and hear 'em.

Here's what it looks like (the pilots at the GTech game got into a lot of s**t b/c the low fly over was due to a instrument mistake):

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/PBM8kGao_ao?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/PBM8kGao_ao?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/9RWp88EkaTY?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/9RWp88EkaTY?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

And here's one from a Navy game (not sure if this guy got permission or not...it was at Navy so maybe):

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/PLPC-4Mj3N8?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/PLPC-4Mj3N8?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

We'll sadly never get to see this unless the pilots F up since TCF is so close to downtown.

They must have Fd up at Georgia Tech, because isn't GT near downtown Atlanta? The Navy one was excellent. Was at a game at the Air Force Academy that looked equally low, but 4 in formation with no banking. Not expecting this type of flyover, but wish they could just cut the 1000 feet in half or something. I think that'd make a huge difference in the effect.

Thanks for the clips.

A flight of Blackhawks or Chinook helicopters from Holman Field would be pretty cool too. I remember at the 9/11 ceremony at the State Capitol that 4 helicopters flew over the crowd, 4 Hueys I think. We also have the 4 T6 Texans at Blaine and South St. Paul, plus the B-25 Miss Mitchell at South St. Paul too. Who would be able to beat a flyover of a B-25?

band trips

To the best of my knowledge, we are the ONLY Big 10 Band that doesn't make a trip to a road game during the year. (not counting bowls) I was in the band in 67, 68, 69, and 70...we made two trips to Iowa with performances on Friday night (lights) at the Independence, IA H.S. game. That was really special, marching down main street USA playing the Rouser..all the neighboring towns came in just to see our band. The other two trips were a trip by TRAIN to East Lansing and then busses to Northwestern. They were GREAT road trips. I'm very sad to see that we can't figure out a way to do this as it is a great experience for our band students and great exposure for the U of M. Every time I email either Maturi or the band dept. I get the same old excuses and reasons why we can't do it. They just drive me nuts because there doesn't seem to be any burning desire on anybody's part to get this done, only excuses as to why we can't do it. Very frustrating seeing all the other Big 10 Bands on TV, Like the Purdue band at Notre Dame this past weekend, and trust me, the Michigan Band will be there this weekend, you can bank on it. I know that these are shorter distances to travel, but I'll bet those bands probably make 2 or 3 trips a year. Just a guess. Anyway, just ONCE, I wish the parties that be at the U would try to figure out a way to get it done, rather than just coming up with a list of excuses (just like the march down University Ave. = 20 excuses was what I got as a reply to my emails about that).

It seems as though the U doesn't consider Football a priority like the other Big Ten schools do.

They must have Fd up at Georgia Tech, because isn't GT near downtown Atlanta? The Navy one was excellent. Was at a game at the Air Force Academy that looked equally low, but 4 in formation with no banking. Not expecting this type of flyover, but wish they could just cut the 1000 feet in half or something. I think that'd make a huge difference in the effect.

Thanks for the clips.

It is, and they definitely F'd up. They were both permanently grounded after the incident.

A flight of Blackhawks or Chinook helicopters from Holman Field would be pretty cool too. I remember at the 9/11 ceremony at the State Capitol that 4 helicopters flew over the crowd, 4 Hueys I think. We also have the 4 T6 Texans at Blaine and South St. Paul, plus the B-25 Miss Mitchell at South St. Paul too. Who would be able to beat a flyover of a B-25?

Yea, helicopters would definitely be cool too.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Z9Vo83AlyJc?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Z9Vo83AlyJc?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

To the best of my knowledge, we are the ONLY Big 10 Band that doesn't make a trip to a road game during the year. (not counting bowls) I was in the band in 67, 68, 69, and 70...we made two trips to Iowa with performances on Friday night (lights) at the Independence, IA H.S. game. That was really special, marching down main street USA playing the Rouser..all the neighboring towns came in just to see our band. The other two trips were a trip by TRAIN to East Lansing and then busses to Northwestern. They were GREAT road trips. I'm very sad to see that we can't figure out a way to do this as it is a great experience for our band students and great exposure for the U of M. Every time I email either Maturi or the band dept. I get the same old excuses and reasons why we can't do it. They just drive me nuts because there doesn't seem to be any burning desire on anybody's part to get this done, only excuses as to why we can't do it. Very frustrating seeing all the other Big 10 Bands on TV, Like the Purdue band at Notre Dame this past weekend, and trust me, the Michigan Band will be there this weekend, you can bank on it. I know that these are shorter distances to travel, but I'll bet those bands probably make 2 or 3 trips a year. Just a guess. Anyway, just ONCE, I wish the parties that be at the U would try to figure out a way to get it done, rather than just coming up with a list of excuses (just like the march down University Ave. = 20 excuses was what I got as a reply to my emails about that).

Someone posted earlier that the South Dakota band will be in TCF Bank Stadium on Saturday. SOUTH DAKOTA! They can figure out a way to perform at an away game but the second largest university in the Big 10 can't? Hollow excuses... indeed.

Top Bottom