Predictions for Purdue vs. Wisconsin on Saturday?

big ten network still had Mertz in top 10 of overall best players when they did countdown. It was insane, he's not even in Wisconsin's 10 best players much less the b1g
Edit - was that recent from the Big Ten Network? Could get it coming into the season but if they still have him in the top 10 now that is pretty sad. He might not even be a top 10 QB in the conference.

Yeah I don't get it. He exploded onto the scene in his first game, but since that one game he has been an absolute mess at QB. I mean if you take out his 5 TD from his first game last year, he has 6 TD and 12 INT, that is horrible by any measure. Heck even if you put that one game back in he still has more INT than TD.

I just don't get the obsession with him as he has done nothing on the field to justify it.

I'd have to assume, based on how teams are looking, that Purdue is better and will win.

I'd go 24-16 Purdue.

Serious question - Has WI scored 30 this year?
Short answer, yes. They are averaging just under 20 ppg. The Gophers are averaging a bit over 25 ppg.

Against:
PSU: 10
Eastern Mich: 34
ND: 13
Mich: 17
Illinois: 24
Army: 20

Edit - was that recent from the Big Ten Network? Could get it coming into the season but if they still have him in the top 10 now that is pretty sad. He might not even be a top 10 QB in the conference.

Yeah I don't get it. He exploded onto the scene in his first game, but since that one game he has been an absolute mess at QB. I mean if you take out his 5 TD from his first game last year, he has 6 TD and 12 INT, that is horrible by any measure. Heck even if you put that one game back in he still has more INT than TD.

I just don't get the obsession with him as he has done nothing on the field to justify it.
their preseason ranking of players, they did a top 25 countdown maybe? top 100? It was insane how high they had Mertz

I even commented at the time it was ridiculous

This should be a fun game to watch. Wisconsin owns Purdue and until they lose to them I am going to take the Badgers to win. Kind of a must win game for Wisconsin. Also, Purdue coming off the big, emotional win vs. Iowa is another situation I don't like. If Purdue wins, they could really get going on a roll.

Still -- I will go with Wisconsin winning a thrilling, 24-20 game.

Wisconsin defense is really good. Purdue offense isn’t that good. Wisconsin defense low key better than iowas

Wisconsin offense low key better than iowas too.

I think this is a dogfight. Want Purdue but I think wisconsin wins.

this season in the B1G is so screwy that I honestly don't think you can predict anything.

How can anyone know from week to week which team is going to show up and which team is going to poop the bed?

There is another thread about the B1G West going on about "if this team runs the table" or "if that team runs the table....."

If I was in Vegas, I would be tempted to make a prop bet that nobody is going to run the table, just because there is no consistency from week to week.

Iowa looks great - Iowa looks terrible. Purdue looks great - Purdue looks terrible. And on and on and on.....

it's interesting - but it's also confusing.
It's going to be a fun stretch run. Looking at this weekend, if MN and Purdue win there becomes a pretty good split in each division, barring any other MAJOR upsets.

Iowa, Purdue and MN would be 3-1 and the rest would all be 1-3 or 1-4.
OSU, MSU, MI would all be 4-0 and PSU 3-1. The rest would be 1-3 or 0-4.

The last 5 weeks becomes who can win out in each division.

Sagarin favors Wisconsin by 4 1/2.

Serious question - Has WI scored 30 this year?
Yes. 34 against Eastern Michigan.

I refuse to believe Wisconsin is actually as bad as they’ve looked so far.

As for Purdue, unranked teams that take down a Top 5 team often have a huge disappointment the following week. After Purdue beat Ohio State in 2018 they lost to Michigan State the next week on the way to losing 4 of the next 6.

Yes. 34 against Eastern Michigan.

As for Purdue, unranked teams that take down a Top 5 team often have a huge disappointment the following week. After Purdue beat Ohio State in 2018 they lost to Michigan State the next week on the way to losing 4 of the next 6.
Wisconsin has a defense that can keep them in most games. But their offense is just not scary at all. As long as they are hanging around they will make me nervous as a team that could end up coming away with the West.

That is a big part of why I am hoping Purdue gets it done this weekend, although as you point out a letdown is certainly possible and happens to lots of teams after big wins the week before.

Expected to be a clear sunny but cool day in Lafayette on Saturday. Air Purdue over Whiskey, 28-21. Bell will have more than 10 catches.

I just watched highlights of the Purdue-Iowa game, followed by highlights of the Minnesota-Purdue game.

It's kind of interesting to watch them back-to-back.

They're as bad as they've looked. The offense is predicated on strong OL play and they have one of the worst OL's I can remember. They're down to 3 healthy RB's with one being a true freshman who converted from safety and the other is a walk on. They have a few decent WR's and a good TE, but Mertz might be the worst QB in the country. I am not looking it up, but I'd guess if he was considered a team himself, he'd lead the NCAA in turnovers. He's bad.

Good point on the defense keeping them in games, as they've fallen apart late in 4th quarters. They actually look worse because of the offenses turnovers in their own territory. However, UW hasnt been causing turnovers and any decent passing team has eaten them up. Honest prediction is they win 2 MAYBE 3 games the rest of the way.

They're as bad as they've looked. The offense is predicated on strong OL play and they have one of the worst OL's I can remember. They're down to 3 healthy RB's with one being a true freshman who converted from safety and the other is a walk on. They have a few decent WR's and a good TE, but Mertz might be the worst QB in the country. I am not looking it up, but I'd guess if he was considered a team himself, he'd lead the NCAA in turnovers. He's bad.

Good point on the defense keeping them in games, as they've fallen apart late in 4th quarters. They actually look worse because of the offenses turnovers in their own territory. However, UW hasnt been causing turnovers and any decent passing team has eaten them up. Honest prediction is they win 2 MAYBE 3 games the rest of the way.
I think they have a great shot at 3 wins with Rutgers, Northwestern, and Iowa on the schedule. I put Iowa on there because I just can't see the Iowa offense doing anything against Wisconsin at all. Of course the danger for Wisconsin is Mertz allowing the Iowa Defense to score a bunch of points against the Wisconsin offense.

Will be very interesting to see how they do against Purdue, Nebraska, and Minnesota as all teams have more dynamic offenses that can hurt teams at times.

Below .500 WI is just so rare.

Below .500 WI is just so rare.
There's still a chance. Lot of fumbles that bounced back to them today. Surprised how there secondary held up but I think that had more to do with the pressure.

Well, the fear of Purdue being really good and running the table ended quick.

Wisconsin looks good again.

Top Bottom