Prediction for the first offensive play of the game vs. UNLV:

Dr.Don

Reaction score
I predict a surprise start by our new speedster, up the gut for a big gain. Our O-line will open a hole big enough for a dump truck.

Speaking of Hail Mary...I will never forget when #2Mich State played #1Notre Dame on Thanksgiving Day in (I think) 1968. A Michigan State sign, held by a student, said: "Hail Mary, full of Grace. Notre Dame's in Second Place".

The game ended in a tie, as ND Coach (the great Ara Parseghian) settled for the tie instead of going for the win, and ND ended up rated #1 and MSU #2.

One of the best football games ever televised nationwide.

I say all the fire alarms go off in the stadium AGAIN before the 1st play....the refs get confused and a 2nd play is run instead.

Speaking of Hail Mary...I will never forget when #2Mich State played #1Notre Dame on Thanksgiving Day in (I think) 1968. A Michigan State sign, held by a student, said: "Hail Mary, full of Grace. Notre Dame's in Second Place".

The game ended in a tie, as ND Coach (the great Ara Parseghian) settled for the tie instead of going for the win, and ND ended up rated #1 and MSU #2.

Don, was Rudy at this game?

Pound Kirkwood up the middle for 7, establishing a nightmarish trend for the UNLV D.

Fake the dive up the middle, Nelson rolls out and connects on a pass out in the flat to Mike Henry for a big gain.

1966. Future Vikings Alan Page (ND), Clint Jones (MSU), and Gene Washington (MSU) played in that game, along with Bubba Smith and Terry Hanratty.

UNLV will be amped up. Play action bootleg pass to the TE.

We all know our real strength is defense. Kill sets out Kirkwood deep with Santosa back as a blocking back. The snap goes to Santosa who quick kicks and sets UNLV deep in their own end.

My heart says play-action fake, and Nelson goes 70 yds to D. Jones for a TD.

My head says Kirkwood off-tackle for about 6.

The primary play called will be Kirkwood up the gut, the check down will be a quick slant to either Fruectte(sp?) or Engel, UNLV stacks the box and the pass goes for 15 to 20.

regardless of the call, it will be the same as it was a couple yrs ago. Offense offsides.

Kirkwood up the gut is the correct answer. We are also accepting false start offense.

Depends on field position. We start on the 25 it will be Kirklandwood off a Campion block on a seam play. We start beyond the 30 it will Nelson on a read option run. I would fall out of my chair if we threw a downfield pass. I could see us throwing to the H-back in the flat if UNLV has 8 guys in the box. Kill wants to establish the run right out of the gate.

Play action to Kirkwood followed by a dump off to Mike Henry for a 10 yard gain.

I remember that game as well. Star-studded teams on both sides, including the late Bubba Smith for Michigan State.

I also vividly remember the Nebraska 35-31 win over Oklahoma in 1971 in a match-up of #1 and #2. Both were truly awesome games.

As for the first play of our season, I'm guessing flea-flicker pass.

If 40 years means anything....bad snap to Nelson out of the shotgun, over his shoulder, he falls on it for a UNLV safety.....crowd groans 'here we go again'

The optimist in me says....we line up 4 WR's (not all Wr's but Wr formation), motion into our favorite Golden-I formation, Kirkland takes it right side, runs over 3 defenders for a 30+ yard run.

Top Bottom