Prediction for Next Year's Roster

underground629

Reaction score
My obviously optimistic prediction, but I think it's not that unrealistic...

“I’m more leaning toward Minnesota right now," he said during a recent interview with scout.com. "I like Tubby Smith as a coach. I like that I have family out there. It’s an up and coming program. It’s possible I could commit during the visit.

“The other schools have a chance. But if I go to Minnesota and like what they offer, then I'll commit."

I know you can only read into the quotes so much, but anyway... I think Walker commits after his official visit. With him then on board, I think he and Devoe are able to finish off the recruitment of CJ. Once CJ commits, Cobbs doesn't want to go through another year away from home getting very few minutes. With another scholarship open and that much talent on the team, Royce is desperate to rejoin and works his butt off to get back on the team. I still think Tubby isn't ready to give up on him, although he'll be on a very short leash. Ok, maybe a little biased. Thoughts?

I posted the exact opposite of this. Not a predicition, but just a what if, and I was ripped to shreds.

That would be nice if it happened, but you must have some rose colored glasses on, IMO...

“I’m more leaning toward Minnesota right now," he said during a recent interview with scout.com. "I like Tubby Smith as a coach. I like that I have family out there. It’s an up and coming program. It’s possible I could commit during the visit.

“The other schools have a chance. But if I go to Minnesota and like what they offer, then I'll commit."

I know you can only read into the quotes so much, but anyway... I think Walker commits after his official visit. With him then on board, I think he and Devoe are able to finish off the recruitment of CJ. Once CJ commits, Cobbs doesn't want to go through another year away from home getting very few minutes. With another scholarship open and that much talent on the team, Royce is desperate to rejoin and works his butt off to get back on the team. I still think Tubby isn't ready to give up on him, although he'll be on a very short leash. Ok, maybe a little biased. Thoughts?

I agree with everything until the bolded part... I agree that Cobbs transferring and Royce getting his scholarship is actually possible and your reason is exactly why he would think that... However, I've talked to a lot of the players on the team and they don't seem to think anyone's going to transfer. They might just be keeping it hush... but I'm not sold that he's transferring... That being said, I would be surprised if he does and if that does happen, I'd say the scholarship goes either to Royce or another possible recruit like Johnnie Lacy, who expressed interest in transferring here, or Michael Haynes, who is an upcoming prospect who's seemingly developing faster than most thought...

A lot more likely than your scenario though IMO. No offense, although yours wasn't a prediction anyway, I guess. Mine isn't really a prediction as much as something that I just think is possible. Obviously there isn't a good chance for what I wrote because there are so many what ifs. Prediction wasn't the right word for me to use.

I posted the exact opposite of this. Not a predicition, but just a what if, and I was ripped to shreds.

That would be nice if it happened, but you must have some rose colored glasses on, IMO...

Makes sense. IMO though, if CJ comes, I think it's safe to say that Cobbs will have very limited playing time. And after hearing that he was already thinking of transferring for whatever reasons, I think CJ would seal the deal. I doubt he leaves if CJ doesn't come though.

I agree with everything until the bolded part... I agree that Cobbs transferring and Royce getting his scholarship is actually possible and your reason is exactly why he would think that... However, I've talked to a lot of the players on the team and they don't seem to think anyone's going to transfer. They might just be keeping it hush... but I'm not sold that he's transferring... That being said, I would be surprised if he does and if that does happen, I'd say the scholarship goes either to Royce or another possible recruit like Johnnie Lacy, who expressed interest in transferring here, or Michael Haynes, who is an upcoming prospect who's seemingly developing faster than most thought...

I don't even know what I would do if this happened, all I know is I would be way too happy. I think Maurice Walker is pretty much a done deal, which I'm pretty excited about. The thought of getting him made me even more confident about us getting Cory, but all the stuff on Texas boards about their sources saying he's decided on Texas makes me nervous. Hopefully they are misinformed or are just jumping the gun a little. I would have to think that Royce would at least want to come back, and Tubby said he'd be accepting, so if all goes well it just seems to be a matter of scholarship situation and if he's eligible. I wish I knew for a fact exactly what he had to do to be eligible and how many credits he needs. Even if he had to sit out first semester that would still be awesome. Mbakwe's case couldn't get over with any sooner, I'm really excited to see him in a Gopher uniform too.

I'm too lazy to read what's on the Texas board, but it sounds like worthless rumors. Maybe I'm just really optimistic today after reading all of the stuff on Walker and being overly confident in what adding him might lead to in terms of roster additions.

I don't even know what I would do if this happened, all I know is I would be way too happy. I think Maurice Walker is pretty much a done deal, which I'm pretty excited about. The thought of getting him made me even more confident about us getting Cory, but all the stuff on Texas boards about their sources saying he's decided on Texas makes me nervous. Hopefully they are misinformed or are just jumping the gun a little. I would have to think that Royce would at least want to come back, and Tubby said he'd be accepting, so if all goes well it just seems to be a matter of scholarship situation and if he's eligible. I wish I knew for a fact exactly what he had to do to be eligible and how many credits he needs. Even if he had to sit out first semester that would still be awesome. Mbakwe's case couldn't get over with any sooner, I'm really excited to see him in a Gopher uniform too.

I'm too lazy to read what's on the Texas board, but it sounds like worthless rumors. Maybe I'm just really optimistic today after reading all of the stuff on Walker and being overly confident in what adding him might lead to in terms of roster additions.

I honestly haven't read most of it, but the only thing that worried me was the fact that someone on the main rivals board said someone who's usually very reliable with information said they got a text saying he's in and an announcement might come as early as tomorrow (but didn't sound sure about that part). Like you said though, could very well just be worthless rumors, similar to the Tubby talk. Here's to hoping for the best.

After announcing many times that he won't be signing until later, I'd be pretty surprised if he announces tomorrow. Ignoring that though, I would think he would wait til Walker visits to see if he commits anyway. Either way though, I'll be a little anxious after the game hoping to not hear any bad news.

I like the optimism.

One thing I continue to be puzzled about is the negativity toward Cobbs.

So many people here have already written him off, much like they did Colton until his late season awakening. This guy is freshman. Cut him some slack.

I think that's just because they would rather have CJ (obviously). If CJ doesn't come, I'm sure people will really want Cobbs to stay, me included. I think he's better than people make him out to be. Freshman pgs generally do not look very good.

I like the optimism.

One thing I continue to be puzzled about is the negativity toward Cobbs.

So many people here have already written him off, much like they did Colton until his late season awakening. This guy is freshman. Cut him some slack.

I agree with the assessment on Cobbs; I very much hope he stays, as I think he could be a very good player before his career is over.

That's called all the chips falling in the right place. Reality probably sits somewhere in between this scenario and losing Walker, C.Joseph, Mbakwe, White and Nolen. I'm thinking it'll be Mbakwe, Walker, Nolen and no C.Joseph and White.

Haha, yeah. Although I think a Walker commitment could lead to quite a few things...CJ commitment which I think would definitely lead to Cobbs leaving, opening up a spot which I think Royce would definitely try to push for (but maybe not get).

That's called all the chips falling in the right place. Reality probably sits somewhere in between this scenario and losing Walker, C.Joseph, Mbakwe, White and Nolen. I'm thinking it'll be Mbakwe, Walker, Nolen and no C.Joseph and White.

Cobbs won't ever be anything but a backup and average contributor at best...We need to bring in much better talent if we hope to ever go anywhere in the tourney.

Cobbs won't ever be anything but a backup and average contributor at best...We need to bring in much better talent if we hope to ever go anywhere in the tourney.

Not so. Cobbs will be a fine PG (starter) when/if he gets an opportunity.

I'd miss Cobbs if he leaves - I like his game. His treatment here on the baord remidns me of the way Eric harris was "assessed" in ~ 1996 (e.g, why did we recruit him? He's not even a MAC player! He can't shoot etc. etc...)

I'd miss Cobbs if he leaves - I like his game. His treatment here on the baord remidns me of the way Eric harris was "assessed" in ~ 1996 (e.g, why did we recruit him? He's not even a MAC player! He can't shoot etc. etc...)

Except that Eric Harris was one of the best point guards we have had and Cobbs has no game

I think Cobbs will be a fine player. But we have our hopes on guards like Crawford and Holloway. A Cobbs and Devoe backcourt is just very unathletic. I dont want Cobbs to leave, but he probably will never develop into a game changer.

Top Bottom