Predicting Top 20 Seniors in College Basketball for the 2014-15 Season (Mathieu #18)

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Kerry Miller:

2013-14 stats: 12.0 PPG, 4.2 APG, 2.7 RPG, 1.6 SPG

This one was a tossup between DeAndre Mathieu and Andre Hollins, but the moral of the story is that Minnesota is going to have some fantastic veteran leadership in the backcourt.

(If you thought Richard Pitino's name was thrown around a lot during this year's coaching carousel, just wait until the summer after Minnesota advances to the Sweet 16 for the first time in nearly two decades.)

In the end, Mathieu was the choice based on his incredible shooting percentages (51.1 percent from the field, 48.9 percent from three-point range, 75.4 percent from the free-throw line) and the fact that he was playing his best basketball at the end of the season.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...lege-basketball-for-the-2014-15-season/page/5

Go Gophers!!

per Kerry Miller:

This one was a tossup between DeAndre Mathieu and Andre Hollins, but the moral of the story is that Minnesota is going to have some fantastic veteran leadership in the backcourt.

(If you thought Richard Pitino's name was thrown around a lot during this year's coaching carousel, just wait until the summer after Minnesota advances to the Sweet 16 for the first time in nearly two decades.)

In the end, Mathieu was the choice based on his incredible shooting percentages (51.1 percent from the field, 48.9 percent from three-point range, 75.4 percent from the free-throw line) and the fact that he was playing his best basketball at the end of the season.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...lege-basketball-for-the-2014-15-season/page/5

Go Gophers!!

I thought it was overall players and then as i kept going through the list there were so many guys i've never heard of. Then i realized it was seniors only.

A year ago, would anyone have guessed this? pretty amazing ascent for the kid. wish him nothing but the best for the upcoming year and long term

per Kerry Miller:

Go Gophers!!

that is another pretty high prediction for us. let's hope he's right!

Pretty cool to See Mathieu getting some well deserved love. Kaminsky at #3 as well. I would never in my wildest dreams believed that Mathieu and Kaminsky would be top 20 seniors to be at the beginning of the season.

that is another pretty high prediction for us. let's hope he's right!

I still think we end up missing Austin more than people want to admit, but should still be a pretty good team. A sweet sixteen would be pretty awesome if you ask me.

I'm curious how many seniors are starting for a 2nd year on power conference teams.

I still think we end up missing Austin more than people want to admit, but should still be a pretty good team. A sweet sixteen would be pretty awesome if you ask me.

I agree, IMO the play we get from the 3 will determine how far we go. With only Dre, McNeil, and Morris, I still believe Coach P. and staff will bring in one more player. The only current player I see who can be plugged into that spot without really hurting our depth is Buggs, and I'm not convinced he will spend his next three seasons here. Need one more wing.

per Kerry Miller:

Go Gophers!!

If he calls this choice a "tossup" he wasn't watching very closely this year (at least during the second half of the season).

If he calls this choice a "tossup" he wasn't watching very closely this year (at least during the second half of the season).

This is about projecting for next year. Andre was playing hurt for most of the past season. I fully expect Andre to lead our team in scoring and have a big senior year.

The second half of the year when Dre had a bad ankle??? I'd still give the edge to Mathieu but I think the team will go as far as Dre's scoring will take us

I agree, IMO the play we get from the 3 will determine how far we go. With only Dre, McNeil, and Morris, I still believe Coach P. and staff will bring in one more player. The only current player I see who can be plugged into that spot without really hurting our depth is Buggs, and I'm not convinced he will spend his next three seasons here. Need one more wing.

I wouldn't get your hopes up. All the recruiting activity you have seen lately involves 2015 and 2016 recruits. The evidence suggests that Pitino has moved on. I predict that even though the 3 spot very likely will be weaker next season than it was this season, it will be stronger overall than the power forward spot was this season. I still find it inexplicable how many of you can't seem to imagine one of the forwards actually playing small forward. Just because you haven't seen something doesn't mean it can't exist. I've never met a Chechen in my life but I know they're out there.

I wouldn't get your hopes up. All the recruiting activity you have seen lately involves 2015 and 2016 recruits. The evidence suggests that Pitino has moved on. I predict that even though the 3 spot very likely will be weaker next season than it was this season, it will be stronger overall than the power forward spot was this season. I still find it inexplicable how many of you can't seem to imagine one of the forwards actually playing small forward. Just because you haven't seen something doesn't mean it can't exist. I've never met a Chechen in my life but I know they're out there.

With our limited depth at 1-3, I'm sure we will see King or Buggs or both play a little at the 3, unless we get another wing somehow.

Coach P. has until school starts to find a wing and was recruiting Allen, a wing from Texas, less than a week ago. Now that we have adequate depth at a problem position like PF, it makes little sense to play Martin or King at SF. I'm not saying it won't happen, but it's not Plan A and a setback.

The second half of the year when Dre had a bad ankle??? I'd still give the edge to Mathieu but I think the team will go as far as Dre's scoring will take us

100%

We know what Mathieu is. An awesome slasher who can finish at the rim. Not to mention that he is extremely efficient and consistent. I don't think that I could ask for off-season improvement from him. He did a little bit of everything.....and added the rim attacking factor that we have been missing since Westbrook left. If we can get production like he gave us last year.....I'll be very happy.

Agree that the season likely hinges on Dre. Mathieu took over a few games this past season, but it's Dre that could really light up the Big Ten, and will likely be difference maker.

per Kerry Miller:

Go Gophers!!

They need to employ better fact-checkers. By next spring, it will have been 25 years since Minnesota's last Sweet 16.

I agree with you on this,but with Ryan Johnson and Angelo Allen out of the picture,who might that be?We need help at this position but there is a noticeable lack of activity as of late.Just hoping there is activity behind the scenes.

Everyone knows that only 15 teams made it to the sweet 16 in 1997. Multiple teams lost to nobody that year in the NCAA's.

Yes, 15 teams made it legitimately.

I love the glorification of cheating that goes on in this forum. Did they teach that in Business Ethics?

I love the glorification of cheating that goes on in this forum. Did they teach that in Business Ethics?

I think if you simply admitted that the Gophers were in the Final 4 (which they were), but didn't deserve it, you wouldn't have so many people arguing with you about it all the time.

I suppose you enjoy the arguing though, so never mind.

I think if you simply admitted that the Gophers were in the Final 4 (which they were), but didn't deserve it, you wouldn't have so many people arguing with you about it all the time.

I suppose you enjoy the arguing though, so never mind.

You don't get to claim accomplishments earned by cheating.

Wow, you are so incredibly naive. When are the vacated games and probation coming for North Carolina where the academic fraud was systemic rather than carried out primarily by one person? How many teams had similar issues in 1997 but weren't caught or were caught and not punished? You're probably the one person who thinks that the NCAA is fair and balanced in terms of what it decides to pursue and what it actually punishes. If the North Carolina situation happened at Akron, for example, the NCAA would have crippled the program.

Your act is getting as stale and moldy as a pair of Dr. Don's underwear!!!

Wow, you are so incredibly naive. When are the vacated games and probation coming for North Carolina where the academic fraud was systemic rather than carried out primarily by one person? How many teams had similar issues in 1997 but weren't caught or were caught and not punished? You're probably the one person who thinks that the NCAA is fair and balanced in terms of what it decides to pursue and what it actually punishes. If the North Carolina situation happened at Akron, for example, the NCAA would have crippled the program.

Your act is getting as stale and moldy as a pair of Dr. Don's underwear!!!

Whine, whine, whine, glorify cheating, moan, moan, moan, everybody else is doing it, piss, piss, piss, ad hominem.

One person. You're hilarious. And I'm the one who's naïve.

Whine, whine, whine, glorify cheating, moan, moan, moan, everybody else is doing it, piss, piss, piss, ad hominem.

That's the best that you can do? LOLLLLLLLLLLL. I think that Russ Archambault could beat you in a debate and he had Jan doing his schoolwork for him!!!

That's the best that you can do? LOLLLLLLLLLLL. I think that Russ Archambault could beat you in a debate and he had Jan doing his schoolwork for him!!!

Who's having a debate? There have to be two valid opposing viewpoints in order for there to be a debate. All we have here is an unethical person being told how it is by an ethical one.

Who's having a debate? There have to be two valid opposing viewpoints in order for there to be a debate. All we have here is an unethical person being told how it is by an ethical one.

I said that Russ could beat you in a debate because when you don't have a response, you come back with "whine whine whine, blah blah, blah, holier than thou, etc." Since NCAA sanctions are the be all and end all, when are North Carolina's academic scandal sanctions coming?

Top Bottom