Predict Depth Chart for Next Season

Lakers612

Banned
Reaction score
I know the season isn't over yet. And I know we just got a win, so it might seem like an odd time to be looking into the future, but we've also seen enough from our freshman this year to project what the depth chart will look like next season. Plus, we all know that 2017 could be a make or break year for Pitino

PLAYERS ON SCHOLARSHIP
Charles Buggs (Sr)
Nate Mason (Jr)
Bakary Konaté (Jr)
Gaston Diedhiou (Jr)
Davonte Fitzgerald (RS Jr)
Reggie Lynch (RS Jr)
Jordan Murphy (Soph)
Dupree McBrayer (Soph)
Kevin Dorsey (Soph)
Ahmad Gilbert (Soph)
Amir Coffey (Fr)
Eric Curry (Fr)
Michael Hurt (Fr)

------------------------------------------------------

MY PREDICTED DEPTH CHART
PG: Mason/Dorsey/McBrayer
SG: McBrayer/Mason/Gilbert
SF: Cooper/Fitzgerald/Gilbert
PF: Murphy/Buggs/Curry
C: Lynch/Konaté/Diedhiou

Not sure where Hurt stands within this roster. Obviously we need outside shooting, especially since Joey King is graduating, but of the two positions I see him playing, our prized recruit is slated to start at the 3 and Murphy has the 4 locked up until he graduates. Or maybe Hurt can play the 2 and have Cooper or someone else guard more athletic SGs. Or maybe we RS Hurt?

Regardless, do you think this a tourny bound lineup?

who is Amari Cooper?

If we really want to start this now. If Fitz is not as advirtized coffey will move to the 3 and McBrayer will start

Mason/Dorsey/McBrayer/Coffey
Coffey/McBrayer/Gilbert/Hurt
Fitz/Buggs/Coffey/Gilbert/Hurt
Murphy/Fitz/Curry/Buggs
Lynch/Konate/Diedhiou

I am going with
Mason/Dorsey
Mcbreyer/Coffey/Mason
Coffey/Fitz/Gilbert/Hurt
Murphy/Curry/Fitz/Buggs
Lynch/Konate/Diediou
I think Coffey will play a lot of both the three and the two. Fitz could bounce between the three and the four. Gilbert and hurt it'll depend who has the hotter hand IMO, guessing Gilbert will be ahead of him at first while Hurt adjust. I am tempted to put Fitz ahead of Curry on the depth chart, but I could see Curry being a high motor guy who can grab rebounds, be tough to leave him off the floor. I can't see Buggs or Diediou playing much next year. Too bad for Buggs because there is talent, just can't put it together.

lol, my bad..

not sure what i was thinking

Actually I should have caught that it was Coffey- I didn't see that he was missing.

I don't know who the starters will be but I am thinking that Pitino will be able to go 9 to 11 deep with confidence and return to pressing more.
I think your lineup is about right. Are they tourney bound? They will be tourney capable but they will have to really max out next year to do that. Two years from now? I feel that they could go deep in the NCAAs.

I think Hurt plays- they need shooters. The only way he redshirts is if Buggs stays as a 3 man and has a turn around summer in terms of dedication to the game.

If Buggs were to stay- I would tell him to muscle up - he should play center as a backup to Lynch and then redshirt Konate unless Lynch gets hurt. Buggs is just not a perimeter player. Buggs is capable of playing pretty good post defense. I saw him stop the Maryland post man dead in his tracks down low last night, Buggs has quicker feet than most bigs. Redshirting Konate would be great for roster balance in a few years.

PG-Mason, Dorsey
SG-Coffey, McBrayer
SF-Fitzgerald, Gilbert/Hurt, Buggs?
PF-Murphy, Curry
C-Lynch, Konate
I think Diedhiou transfers after the season. Buggs is more of question mark to me and I could see him going either way. At times it seems like he would be just happy with whatever role he would have so I'm not so sure he transfers just to look for more playing time. At the same time I wouldn't be surprised and wouldn't blame him if he does transfer as it just doesn't look like there will be a whole lot of playing time available for him.
A lot more size and versatility on this roster to allow more flexibility in lineup combinations.

Mason/Dorsey
McBrayer/Coffey
Fitzgerald/Gilbert/Hurt
Murphy/Buggs?/Curry
Lynch/Konate/Diedhiou?

At least to begin the season, I think Fitzgerald will start and Coffey will come off the bench. They'll give Coffey time to get acclimated and earn his role in the starting lineup. Buggs and Diedhiou are the obvious question marks on whether or not they will be back.

Beginning of the Season:

Starters:
PG-Dorsey
SG-Mason
SF-McBrayer
PF-Murphy
C-Lynch

Bench:
6th-Coffey
7th-Fitz
8th-Konate
9th-Buggs
10th-Gilbert
11th-Curry

Reserve:
Hurt
Diedhiou

Beginning of B1G (but will change week to week based on who's playing best, particularly for guards and wings):

Starters:
PG-Mason
SG-Coffey
SF-Fitzgerald
PF-Murphy
C-Lynch

Bench:
6th-McBrayer
7th-Dorsey
8th-Konate
9th-Curry
10th-Gilbert
11th-Buggs

Reserve:
Hurt
Diedhiou

Wow! Although, the roster will still be very young next year, it seems we have an extreme amount of depth finally. That is if the roster holds together. Exciting!

Lynch ,Murphy, Fitgerald, McBrayer, Mason, sixth man Coffey 7,8,9,10 Dorsey, Konate, Hurt and Gilbert. Curry might be in the running for PT as well.

I'd like to see a starting 5 of Dorsey, Mason, Coffee, Murphy and Lynch with McBreyer, Fitzgerald, Gilbert and Hurt seeing the most reserve time. However, since Dorsey's not starting now, I doubt he will next year.

McBrayer is going to be a big time player. I think he a starter from here on out.

McBrayer is going to be a big time player. I think he a starter from here on out.

Many of you expect a lot of Fitz, some have him starting. I have never seen him play. Just looking at the roster, doesn't he need to seriously bulk up first before he contributes?

This.

McBrayer is being vastly, vastly, vastly underrated here. Dude does a lot of things, and he'll only get better. He'll be one of the Gophers' best 2-3 players next year.

Im not sure we see a lot of dorsey and mason together next year but could be way off. Both are used to running the point rather that 2 guard so i see them both at the point but pitino does tend to run multi guard sets so who knows.

This.

McBrayer is being vastly, vastly, vastly underrated here. Dude does a lot of things, and he'll only get better. He'll be one of the Gophers' best 2-3 players next year.

He's got that fearlessness. Gotta like that.

Wasn't it a joyous thing to see McBrayer, Mason and Dorsey handle the fullcourt press with ease? These guys sliced and diced right through the long and athletic Terrapins. I LOVED not having to hold my breath as they inbounded the ball with a narrow lead in crunch time. So happy to see them notch this win and I believe their ball handling strength was one of the factors.

Fitz is a transfer - so he will play major minutes - if not as a starter, then as the 1st F off the bench. Coffey is a SG all the way - I don't think he'll play a lot of SF unless they go with a small lineup, or are in foul trouble.

MadtownGopher;1181334 Reserve: Hurt Diedhiou[/QUOTE said:
If Hurt can shoot, it's hard for me to see him not being in the regular rotation unless someone else develops into a Joey King like consistent three point threat. My first concern about our improved team next year is perimeter shooting. We'll need an outside threat to open up the middle for our many slashers.

We'll still be very young, but hard to find people who can't play on the roster. As noted by others, we should, finally, have the bodies to press and run. I also think it's less important to identify starters, or even minutes, but to find effective combinations (pairing weak shooters or defenders with stronger ones) and having the flexibility to juggle minutes to get advantageous combos on the floor that opponents would struggle to match.

If Hurt can shoot, it's hard for me to see him not being in the regular rotation unless someone else develops into a Joey King like consistent three point threat. My first concern about our improved team next year is perimeter shooting. We'll need an outside threat to open up the middle for our many slashers.

I don't disagree, but he'll have to be a lights out shooter to break into the rotation in my opinion. His body is not B1G ready, so if he can't knock down 3's, he probably won't be able to log major minutes for us right away. If Fitz, Curry, and Coffey are all legit and Buggs hangs around, I wouldn't be against redshirting Hurt. It would allow him to put on weight and potentially allow him to play two years with his brother, instead of just one.

The best part is we will finally have some depth. Decent players coming off the bench (many who are better than many of the starters we have had in previous years ). I think Mason will be really good next year now that he has a better surrounding cast. Much is up to how good Coffey plays as a freshman, and how much improvement we get from lynch and fitz in the mix. Excited too to see how much improvement we see from McBrayer Dorsey and Murphy. Man could be exciting

This.

I thought his 4 steals were the key to the win.

Gaston is a good kid, but he is not a D1 basketball player. By all reports he is also a very good student. If he wants to play more basketball he should drop down a level. If not, and he's happy with just getting his degree, his mop up roll will continue for the next two years. They need Hurt at the 2 spot. We need a shooter....

Count me in on the McBrayer bandwagon. I see him continuing to start next year. He's disruptive on defense, a great handle and sees the court like a point guard. If he adds a little muscle and improves his shooting, he will be hard to keep on the bench.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

PG-Mason, Dorsey
SG-Coffey, McBrayer
SF-Fitzgerald, Gilbert/Hurt
PF-Murphy, Buggs, Curry
C-Konate, Lynch

Gaston is a good kid, but he is not a D1 basketball player. By all reports he is also a very good student. If he wants to play more basketball he should drop down a level. If not, and he's happy with just getting his degree, his mop up roll will continue for the next two years. They need Hurt at the 2 spot. We need a shooter....

Hurt will not be playing any minutes at the 2. He's a 3 who is far more likely to get minutes at the 4 spot than the 2.

PG-Mason, Dorsey
SG-Coffey, McBrayer
SF-Fitzgerald, Gilbert/Hurt
PF-Murphy, Buggs, Curry
C-Konate, Lynch

Can't see a scenerio where Konate starts over Lynch, unless Bakary improves a ton over the summer.

Top Bottom