Preach Chip, Preach!!: Give Mark Coyle green light to spend money on top choice for Gophers coach

Any reasonable person ... who knows something about the U athletics dept, Arkansas athletics dept, and Mussleman himself.

There are plenty (most) reasonable people who read the STrib and don't know anything about those, who will be told what to think on the U hiring by Ruesse and Chip. And they know that.

Their job is to sell papers. The end.
It's St. Patrick's Day. Cheer up, man.

Sorry, but that's just a flat out overly simplistic and fallacious reasoning. It's the coach who is important, not the school.

Monson was only at Gonzaga for two years. Those were two good years but he inherited a program on the rise from his predecessor. Few has been there more than 20 years and he is the one who turned a good program into a national power. I don't think we would have any chance of getting Few but suggesting he's a big risk because of Monson is crazy.

The same faulty reasoning could have been applied to Butler. Todd Lickliter was a flop at Iowa but his successor was better at Butler and has been pretty successful with the Celtics. It's hard to imagine Brad Stevens being a flop at most places.
Monson was also part of the team of assistants, including Few, who envisioned a program that could compete with anyone on the west coast. People in Spokane credit him with starting what they have now. He was top assistant as the program was on the rise and struck while the iron was hot. He was not successful on the floor here, but he did settle the ship and clean up the mess. People forget that, I think.

Associating his failure with Spokane, as you say, is absurd. It's amazing how easily distracted and illogical people can become. It explains a lot of things.

Coaching salaries are absurd.
No such thing as overpaying for someone that can generate unprecedented revenue for your company/program/institution.

I forget who it was (Jerry Jones?) who once said they never regretted paying a premium for a premium product. 100% true.

Did we over-pay for P.J. Fleck? A dynamic young coach who brings enthusiasm and victories can generate a poop ton of revenue.

No such thing as overpaying for someone that can generate unprecedented revenue for your company/program/institution.

I forget who it was (Jerry Jones?) who once said they never regretted paying a premium for a premium product. 100% true.
Yes. Jones said his worst investment decisions tended to be when he initially thought he was getting a great deal (bargain). When he thought he overpaid, they turned out to be great investments.

Yes. Jones said his worst investment decisions tended to be when he initially thought he was getting a great deal (bargain). When he thought he overpaid, they turned out to be great investments.
We'll see if that holds re: Dak Prescott's contract in about 3 years.

Sorry, but that's just a flat out overly simplistic and fallacious reasoning. It's the coach who is important, not the school.

Monson was only at Gonzaga for two years. Those were two good years but he inherited a program on the rise from his predecessor. Few has been there more than 20 years and he is the one who turned a good program into a national power. I don't think we would have any chance of getting Few but suggesting he's a big risk because of Monson is crazy.

The same faulty reasoning could have been applied to Butler. Todd Lickliter was a flop at Iowa but his successor was better at Butler and has been pretty successful with the Celtics. It's hard to imagine Brad Stevens being a flop at most places.
The point I attempted to make was this: why is everyone so obsessed with Eric Musselman as a Muss or bust attitude? There are lots of really good coaches that can be considered. Mark Few, I believe is only receiving a salary of 1 million per year. His team is undefeated and ranked #1. I don't realistically believe he is gettable.
I like Brian Dutcher, Craig Smith, Darian DeVries, Porter Moser, and Thad Matta. Those are just the names that have been mentioned. I have confidence in who Mark Coyle selects.

We'll see if that holds re: Dak Prescott's contract in about 3 years.
I think the last 5 major contracts for the Cowboys were bad deals, but Jerry's getting older! Dak, Zeke, Amari Cooper, Jaylin Smith, et al. I was ecstatic when the Raiders traded Amari Cooper to the Cowboys. Not a high effort guy all the time, we'll see how he works out long term in big D. Getting paid like a top-4 WR in the league, not exactly that caliber of talent

You people need to get the Star Tribune out of your heads.

I can't see anyone criticizing the U for not hiring Musselman on account of what someone's written in the newspaper. Any reasonable person knows it's a long shot hire, which is the whole premise behind throwing money at him.
Just because you point out how stupid and inconsistent the strib is doesn’t mean they’re in your head

It's pretty narrow a far as GH. Which one's discussed here would be a cheap choice?

In terms of mentioned on GH, I would have said that PSU's new coach would have fallen into that category. Most who GH are considering I wouldn't consider cheap, but I am also not confident that the coach will end of being one of these guys. And my point if it isn't a Dutcher, Musselman, Nedved, Smith etc. I hope it isn;t because we didn't want to pay them.

Just because you point out how stupid and inconsistent the strib is doesn’t mean they’re in your head
If you're speculating or predicting what someone's going to say based on an action you take, they're in your head.

In terms of mentioned on GH, I would have said that PSU's new coach would have fallen into that category. Most who GH are considering I wouldn't consider cheap, but I am also not confident that the coach will end of being one of these guys. And my point if it isn't a Dutcher, Musselman, Nedved, Smith etc. I hope it isn;t because we didn't want to pay them.
Of those you list, the only one where it might be an issue is Muss.

Top Bottom