Practice report 11/10: Armstrong practices : Omaha.com

Iceland12

Reaction score
>> Armstrong returned to practice and did some light work Thursday, while wearing a green no-contact jersey — “and there was nobody even ever close to him as we practiced,” Riley said.

>> Armstrong continues to pass all the concussion protocol. Riley said NU will wait to see Friday if the senior is asymptomatic, and if he passes another day then Armstrong could be cleared to play Saturday.

>> Riley did not know when that information might become available to the staff Friday.

>> Riley said the Armstrong injury last Saturday night at Ohio State included no neck or back damage. After regaining consciousness, Armstrong was immobilized before being carted off, and underwent evaluation at a Columbus hospital.

>> Sophomore offensive lineman Jerald Foster will make his season debut in the Minnesota game on Saturday night, and somehow split the work at left guard with Sam Hahn. Riley said conditioning might be the biggest question mark for Foster, who wasn’t expected to play this season after suffering a mid-August knee injury.

>> Sophomore walk-on Cole Conrad will start again at right tackle. Riley said David Knevel (ankle) is “getting healthier,” however. Tanner Farmer (ankle) also is expected to play after Corey Whitaker started there in the Ohio State game.

>> Still questionable are receiver Brandon Reilly and linebacker Dedrick Young. Riley did say that the Huskers are better off with several injuries at linebacker than it looked Monday

http://www.omaha.com/huskers/blogs/...cle_ad94cdc4-a7a0-11e6-826b-47ef8c547605.html

think he'll play as well. but the real question is, will he be effective or will he be gun shy after taking that hit? could be a big factor if he's more timid than usual given his running is what makes him dynamic

Hard to believe he can play after being knocked out like that.

I know, right? Like I said in another thread, our QB gets dinged, doesn't even come out for a play, then misses a week. Armstrong got knocked unconscious, misses a half, and will play the next week. Huh? Two possibilities:

1) Brain science...too complicated
2) Neb doctors like Neb football...a lot

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

I know, right? Like I said in another thread, our QB gets dinged, doesn't even come out for a play, then misses a week. Armstrong got knocked unconscious, misses a half, and will play the next week. Huh? Two possibilities:

Or Armstrong is less truthful to the doctors about the symptoms he's experiencing than Leidner is. A good portion if not most of concusssion protocol is simply the player telling the doctor what they feel like, if they are experiencing headaches, sensitivity to light etc. and some players are more willing to get back on the field than others after a potential concussion.

For the sake of this drama I hope there were helicopters following him around like they were at Ohio Stadium. This man needs more attention.

Or some people recover at different speeds than other people. Just like some people are more susceptible to concussions.

Or Armstrong is less truthful to the doctors about the symptoms he's experiencing than Leidner is. A good portion if not most of concusssion protocol is simply the player telling the doctor what they feel like, if they are experiencing headaches, sensitivity to light etc. and some players are more willing to get back on the field than others after a potential concussion.

Pretty sure there is a lot more to it then just the player saying how they are feeling. There are tests that have to be passed. If he plays it will be because the Doctors cleared him. As someone else mentioned some people heal quicker than others and concussions are a weird thing, some people get them and recover really fast, others like say Justin Morneau for example can take years to fully recover. There isn't an easy way to pin a timetable on a concussion like you can recovery from a surgery or some other types of injuries.

Looks like a pretty risky decision to play if he does. He's a good player and for the long run I believe he should be held out at least one more week if not two based on that hit that he took for his future.

Pretty sure there is a lot more to it then just the player saying how they are feeling. There are tests that have to be passed. If he plays it will be because the Doctors cleared him. As someone else mentioned some people heal quicker than others and concussions are a weird thing, some people get them and recover really fast, others like say Justin Morneau for example can take years to fully recover. There isn't an easy way to pin a timetable on a concussion like you can recovery from a surgery or some other types of injuries.

Nailed it, there are computerized tests done with everyone to get a baseline for their memory. These tests are repeated during the concussion protocol until they get back to the same level as the baseline. This is just part of it but a part that takes the human element out of it.

Nailed it, there are computerized tests done with everyone to get a baseline for their memory. These tests are repeated during the concussion protocol until they get back to the same level as the baseline. This is just part of it but a part that takes the human element out of it.

I've also heard of some athletes purposely not doing well on it initially to make it easier to get cleared in the future.

I've also heard of some athletes purposely not doing well on it initially to make it easier to get cleared in the future.

Had to do these for baseball in college and I can confirm that was the case for some of our players.

He'll play. Had this happened 15-20 years ago, he probably would have come back to the sidelines in full uniform and gone back into the game.

IMG_1027.JPG

I'll admit I didn't think of that. It was some time ago but I thought either the test was done multiple times or with repeating questions making it difficult to do poorly on purpose. But I wouldn't put it past anyone to do it. Hopefully for Armstrong's sake, he's fully recovered from it before playing.

I'll admit I didn't think of that. It was some time ago but I thought either the test was done multiple times or with repeating questions making it difficult to do poorly on purpose. But I wouldn't put it past anyone to do it. Hopefully for Armstrong's sake, he's fully recovered from it before playing.

usually they do a couple of healthy tests but guys will purposely tank so that even if they can't focus and answer the questions well, they're still within the margin for error and can play/practice

I've also heard that in a lot of cases it's actually better to be knocked out cold than to remain conscious. Something about the brain shutting down certain things and preventing more damage.

Anecdotally - last year Bridgewater was knocked out cold and returned the next week, supposedly without symptoms after just a couple days. And I'm sure a lot of you remember Justin Morneau's concussion which didn't knock him out, and didn't "look bad", but kept him out 3 months and gave him trouble for at least a year. Concussions are weird.

I've also heard that in a lot of cases it's actually better to be knocked out cold than to remain conscious. Something about the brain shutting down certain things and preventing more damage.

Anecdotally - last year Bridgewater was knocked out cold and returned the next week, supposedly without symptoms after just a couple days. And I'm sure a lot of you remember Justin Morneau's concussion which didn't knock him out, and didn't "look bad", but kept him out 3 months and gave him trouble for at least a year. Concussions are weird.

Stop being logical. It's more fun to say that Nebraska is a win-at-all cost school that is throwing Armstrong to the wolves.

Ryker Fyfe has been named a captain for Minnesota game. Wonder how much that means? It's on the Husker Football board.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reading some more threads over there, sounds like Armstrong is playing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom