Practice Facility Thoughts

HHH_Gopher

Reaction score
The Daily Gopher has another update on the Practice Facility with some additional renderings and discussion of the somewhat mixed messages we're getting from ICA.

http://www.thedailygopher.com/2011/3/2/2025337/basketball-development-center-update-with-renderings

The one thing I haven't seen is a potential floor plan. I must admit that I am a bit surprised and disappointed that the initial discussion points to this not being a very comprehensive facility. The standard model for the modern basketball practice facility is as follows:

- 1 court each for both the men's and women's programs (sometimes two courts together / sometimes separated)
- Locker Rooms with lounge/film facilities
- Performance Center / Weight Room
- Comprehensive Training Room with facilities for all needs (e.g. multiple recovery pools)
- Coaching Offices

It seems like the initial plan will only include a practice court (or multiple courts) and a performance center. I somewhat understand the maintenance of the locker room situation as both programs have really nice facilities in Williams that were recently remodeled. I think that the training room is pretty solid in Williams as well. However, I think it's really short-sighted to not include new coaches offices. It just doesn't seem like something that's acceptable for a major program.

In addition, I remain disappointed that ICA has not addressed the problem of upgrading the wrestling facilities. If I was planning this facility, I would follow the Nebraska model with the new Hendricks Training Facility.

http://www.huskers.com//pdf8/703792.pdf

The new addition to the Devaney Center (which will be remodeled as well once the hoops squads move to the new Lincoln Arena) will have comprehensive facilities for both basketball teams and the wrestling team. All for $18.7 million.

I am totally sympathetic to the U's financial challenges and the immense investment made in recent years with the Stadium. It's tought to raise money right now. But we need to act like a major program. This, and the Siebert Project, have to get done. And in my mind, if you're going to do it...do it right. You don't have to go with the ultra-lux, Phil Knight-funded, completely pimped-out model, but you do need to be comprehensive. We did that with the Bank. We need to do it with this facility as well. In my mind, it's a no brainer to find a way to include a new wrestling room and include offices for MBB, WBB, Wrestling, and Volleyball. You have to take care of your important sports. Adding a wrestling/volleyball component adds to your Donor pool as well.

I would also name it the Giel Center, which is a ridiculous notion because it will obviously be named for a donor.

Just my two cents on this.

Does the Pavillion stay as is? Is this whole project a stand alone building?

Tap- This is my understanding (not gospel). Stand alone with underground tunnel connectint to the existing (recently renovated) lockerooms and coaches offices.

Good stuff DG.

Yes, the plan (as it stands now) is for the Pavilion to remain as the secondary arena venue. The entire Williams/Pavilion building would be connected via an underground tunnel to the new practice facility.

This is what makes the wrestling component even more appropriate. Wrestling would then have its practice and competition facilities in one location. The facility needs of J's program are extremely urgent. Wrestling programs around the country, including rivals Iowa, Wisconsin, Nebraska, and PSU have already or are in the process of putting a lot of money into their facilities. We need to step up to the plate in this area. Why not try to do it with one facility?

When reading about the practice facility I had many of the exact same thoughts already expressed here. But here are a couple of thoughts:

1. Personally I am not a fan of only having 1 court per team. I think its a great idea to at least have a couple of extra baskets off to the side so players can just shoot.
2. The facility needs to have a film room. They don't need a full blown locker room/players lounge if they already have the space in Williams but not having a film room that is right there for before or after practice is a mistake
3. Go big with the weight room and make it usable for both mens and women's basketball, wrestling, volleyball, and hockey if they need one.
4. Coaches offices NEED to be either in Williams or the practice facility. I cannot stress this enough. It makes ZERO sense for a Power Six basketball team their coaching staff drive from their offices to wear they practice. They shouldn't have to exit a building. It is absolutely insane that is the case right now.
5. A training room is needed, but a full one with multiple pools can be avoid if the team has access to one somewhere else. If not then you are going to need both hot and cold plunge tubs and underwater treadmill.
6. The idea of a wrestling room is great. You might as well kill as many birds with one stone as possible and adding wrestling room does that.

1. Personally I am not a fan of only having 1 court per team. I think its a great idea to at least have a couple of extra baskets off to the side so players can just shoot. there will be plenty of places for people to shoot around
2. The facility needs to have a film room. They don't need a full blown locker room/players lounge if they already have the space in Williams but not having a film room that is right there for before or after practice is a mistakethey have a nice film room at williams and after practice with the underground tunnel connecting the facilities, it is easily reachable after a practice
3. Go big with the weight room and make it usable for both mens and women's basketball, wrestling, volleyball, and hockey if they need one.hockey already has a great weight room at marriucci that alot of teams use, if there is room another one would be nice but not a must have
4. Coaches offices NEED to be either in Williams or the practice facility. I cannot stress this enough. It makes ZERO sense for a Power Six basketball team their coaching staff drive from their offices to wear they practice. They shouldn't have to exit a building. It is absolutely insane that is the case right now.don't really see a problem with this, there offices are just fine at Bierman and it is a pretty short walk from Bierman to the proposed location
5. A training room is needed, but a full one with multiple pools can be avoid if the team has access to one somewhere else. If not then you are going to need both hot and cold plunge tubs and underwater treadmill.
6. The idea of a wrestling room is great. You might as well kill as many birds with one stone as possible and adding wrestling room does that.Now this I absolutely agree with, a wrestling room isn't that complicated and no reason why J couldn't raise the funds to add this on to the project

MN Boiler ~

Good thoughts. Both the men and the women have film rooms in Williams that have been recently updated and look to be perfectly adequate. However, I know some schools have added technology right on the practice courts for teaching purposes. For example, it sounds like Nebraska is having 100 inch flatscreens added to each practice court for this purpose.

The office part of it definitely puzzles me as well. I know it's all about money, but you have to find a way to figure this out. ICA has a lot of debt from associated projects through the years (Williams renovation/Ridder-Baseline/TCF Bank), but this is one you have to move on. Taking on some additional debt might have to be done.

By the way, I love the Mackey Project. To me, that's a perfect example of how to improve upon on an already great facility. Something similar is definitely my hope for what the final Williams Arena/Sports Pavilion/Practice Facility will look like.

I wonder how much has been put towards getting the money from private companies for this and the Baseball stadium. DQ field anyone? Half of Carlson is sponsored by one company or another.

@JG

1. I didn't look at the drawing close enough the first time there are clearly 2 side shooting areas that are not on the main court. That problem is solved.
2. The bigger thing for a film room is easy access for players. I doesn't to a whole ton of good if it is out of the way
3. If hockey already has a weight room, great, but having a weight room for basketball is a huge selling point for recruits.
4. The coaches need to have offices where they play and practice. Last thing they need to worry about is walking 15 minutes to practice every day. That time adds up over a course of a week. 4 coaches * 15 minutes of walking everyday * 6 days a week, thats 6 hours a week that could go into game planning or recruiting or watching tape. Spending the extra money to build coach offices is worth every penny.

@ HHH
Having TV's on the court for the team to watch film on is a great idea and hopefully one the U does. And thanks for the thoughts on the Mackey Renovation, I wish I had your confidence.

2. The bigger thing for a film room is easy access for players. I doesn't to a whole ton of good if it is out of the way

4. The coaches need to have offices where they play and practice. Last thing they need to worry about is walking 15 minutes to practice every day.

15 mins? It's where they practiced and play! We are talking 1, maybe 2 mins apart at most - non issue. I don't think you understand the layout.

MB -

Explain your reticence on the Mackay Project. Looks like it will help Painter continue a really solid run and also significantly improve the overall athletic facilities situation.

15 mins? It's where they practiced and play! We are talking 1, maybe 2 mins apart at most - non issue. I don't think you understand the layout.

Just Google Mapped it and it said it's a 8 minute walk from Bierman to the near end of Williams. So I think 15 of walking a day isn't unreasonable. Putting offices in the new practice facility is a must, access to players is huge both on and off the court, having everything at the coaches finger tips. Giving the basketball coaching staff their own space in either Williams or the new practice building I believe is something that will improve the chances of the Gophers winning long term, beyond any other bell or whistle they could put in the new building.

We need a coach and players with some brains and heart not another waste of tax dollars on some damn fancy building!!!!!! maybe they could use the girls hockey rink we needed so bad!!!!!!!

MB -

Explain your reticence on the Mackay Project. Looks like it will help Painter continue a really solid run and also significantly improve the overall athletic facilities situation.

I'm not sold that it is the best long term solution for the future of Purdue Basketball and the athletic department, mostly financially considering that the football team in going to flounder in below average for the foreseeable future. Don't get me wrong I love Mackey more than any other building on Purdue's campus and the home court advantage that the Boilermakers have is the best in the country. During the renovation they are taking out roughly 900 seats which is a significant number, and makes Mackey the second small arena in the B10, believe it or not. It does provide premium seating for high level donor's which I understand is needed but at the same time limiting the number of people who are able to watch Purdue basketball live, specially right now, is a mistake.

Personally I am against even the thought of college basketball being played in a pro style arena, but I believe the athletics depart at Purdue, which receives NO state or university money, needed to step back and truly access what the future of home of Boilermaker basketball should be instead of automatically going for the most economical option, which is our AD's default position and I've never seen anything else from him. To be clear, I don't have all the answers, but what I do know is that this a type of project that comes along once every 30-50 years for Purdue and if they screw it up they will pay for it royally in the long run.

Interesting thoughts on Mackey. I guess the approach we're going for here gives you options, since this will be built as a stand-alone facility. If, down the road, a decision is made to build a new arena, the practice facility remains in play. Much as Indiana and Illinois have done with the facility separate from their respective Assembly Halls. The alternative, which I believe was considered here, is more of an integrated approach where the added practice facility is truly a part of the existing arena. This is what we've seen at MSU and is currently under construction at Purdue, Michigan, and Iowa. It certainly does tie your hands for the next 30 to 40 years.

As much as I love Williams Arena, I'm not sure how long it will last. This approach seems like a good alternative at this point.

We need a coach and players with some brains and heart not another waste of tax dollars on some damn fancy building!!!!!! maybe they could use the girls hockey rink we needed so bad!!!!!!!

Amen on the girls rink!

Top Bottom