PP: Gophers coach Ben Johnson still trying to set the tone

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Greder:

Since then, however, was a 78-60 loss to Illinois that required some real talk from the coach.

“It’s a fine line,” Johnson said Wednesday. “But I think we have a mature group and they want to be coached and they want to win. Now, it’s setting the tone for everything that goes into winning.”

Johnson went into the unacceptable elements of Monday’s loss and why there were those breakdowns.

“You’ve got to remember the plays,” he said. “You’ve got to remember an action. … It could be defensive assignments. By this time of year, you’ve got to know the defensive assignment."

Go Gophers!!

“You’ve got to remember the plays,” he said. “You’ve got to remember an action. … It could be defensive assignments. By this time of year, you’ve got to know the defensive assignment.

“Why didn’t you know it? Was it not communicated from staff to player? If it was communicated, where was the lapse? Just trying to figure out the answers to that. Those are the things that will drive anyone crazy.”
On top of execution against the Illini, another inexcusable element was a lack of energy.

“We just wasn’t there,” forward Josh Ola-Joseph said. “Low energies. I feel like we’ve got to do some more self-digging for certain players, including myself, to bring it every time we are on the floor.”

Knowing the assignments and effort. Two imperatives to have any chance at success.

yup! and at this point in the year....whether you are a freshman or a senior...you should know your plays....you should know your assignments....you should know what you are doing

“You’ve got to remember the plays,” he said. “You’ve got to remember an action. … It could be defensive assignments. By this time of year, you’ve got to know the defensive assignment.

“Why didn’t you know it? Was it not communicated from staff to player? If it was communicated, where was the lapse? Just trying to figure out the answers to that. Those are the things that will drive anyone crazy.”
On top of execution against the Illini, another inexcusable element was a lack of energy.

“We just wasn’t there,” forward Josh Ola-Joseph said. “Low energies. I feel like we’ve got to do some more self-digging for certain players, including myself, to bring it every time we are on the floor.”

Knowing the assignments and effort. Two imperatives to have any chance at success.
that is a big problem with this team.....we need a dawg....we dont have that guy that plays that brings that energy to get his teammates going.....i mean Samuals to a point. Fox would have been that guy for us but only so much you can do from the bench.

Garcia obviously is our best player....but hes more of a quite leader
Battle and Cooper are the same way

that is a big problem with this team.....we need a dawg....we dont have that guy that plays that brings that energy to get his teammates going.....i mean Samuals to a point. Fox would have been that guy for us but only so much you can do from the bench.

Garcia obviously is our best player....but hes more of a quite leader
Battle and Cooper are the same way
Was thinking of this yesterday. A freaking Bobby Jackson type player. Doesn’t appear to me as if anyone on the present roster can be this kind of leader. Too much to ask of Christie as a freshman and I think Ben might be too stubborn to grab someone out of the portal to fit the bill.

yeah, this team needs a vocal leader.

some of the guys on last year's team - like Loewe, Stephens or Sutherlin - might not have been the best athletes, but they were smart and worked their butts off. Also had a veteran presence from Curry.

Was thinking of this yesterday. A freaking Bobby Jackson type player. Doesn’t appear to me as if anyone on the present roster can be this kind of leader. Too much to ask of Christie as a freshman and I think Ben might be too stubborn to grab someone out of the portal to fit the bill.
At an event I was at prior to the season he said he expected to go to the portal in the Spring for one more guy. Hopefully not a power forward. :)

‘Setting the tone for everything that goes into winning’ Yabbut

Isn't the head coach responsible for insuring everyone knows their assignments?

Isn't the head coach responsible for insuring everyone knows their assignments?

YES!!! This is my thought exactly. At this point in the season, if there are multiple players with this issue, it's most of the time not the individual players' fault. If it's one-oft player having the same issue over and over, that's different, but he said this: "By this time of year, you’ve got to know the defensive assignment." If its more than one player than its on him.

Go Gophers!!

I think my sixth grade daughter's coach talks about knowing the plays and not being lazy. I hope we have a higher threshold than this in year two.
Small, unathletic, and white...hey I'm giving you crap about your username lol. Why, what did you think I was talking about...?

We have a 7'1" 5-star center with a longer wingspan than all but 2 NBA players coming in. Dang Gard must be ignorant and lazy to not bring someone like that in.

Small, unathletic, and white...hey I'm giving you crap about your username lol. Why, what did you think I was talking about...?

We have a 7'1" 5-star center with a longer wingspan than all but 2 NBA players coming in. Dang Gard must be ignorant and lazy to not bring someone like that in.

I'm not sure how my response was directed at you? I was referring to the excuses given for the poor performances this week from Ben Johnson and Ola-Joseph in the article above. If we don't have effort or an understanding of the plays, that's frightening.

Regarding your characterizations of me.......I'm should be smaller, unathletic, and white

Did everyone see the video of Coach Brew at Colorado? Maybe we should bring him in to "set the tone."

I don't think Ben is as opposed to the portal as his Gopherhole Apology Squad would make you believe. If we end up with that true leader next year, I think it will come from the portal.

I know I'll get blasted for saying this, but I actually think Garcia has been a good leader this year. The guy keeps playing hard and tries to be assertive at big times in the game. I think sometimes the roster construction around him look worse.

I don't think Ben is as opposed to the portal as his Gopherhole Apology Squad would make you believe. If we end up with that true leader next year, I think it will come from the portal.

I know I'll get blasted for saying this, but I actually think Garcia has been a good leader this year. The guy keeps playing hard and tries to be assertive at big times in the game. I think sometimes the roster construction around him look worse.
I will say that his body language on the court has looked a lot better in the past few weeks. Not sure if it's figuring out he's got to be the guy, getting a few games under his belt after not playing for half a season, understanding that he wasn't playing as hard as he thought he was or a combination of all of that and more. In any case, he seems like he's closer to playing to his capabilities than anybody else.

I'm not sure how my response was directed at you? I was referring to the excuses given for the poor performances this week from Ben Johnson and Ola-Joseph in the article above. If we don't have effort or an understanding of the plays, that's frightening.

Regarding your characterizations of me.......I'm should be smaller, unathletic, and white
Ola-Joseph's comments aren't frightening at all to me. I like what I'm seeing and hearing from him.

And our sparring is all in good fun. Dishing it out is perfectly fine...as long as you can take it too.

Top Bottom