PP: Gophers basketball team needs more from its reserves, and Isaiah Ihnen stepping up

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Greder:

But for Minnesota to get off their current spot on the NCAA tournament bubble, bigger contributions from Minnesota’s bench players would be a huge boost.

In their 59-51 loss to Illinois on Jan. 30, the Gophers’ top-rated true freshman, Isaiah Ihnen, played 17 minutes, his most action in a Big Ten game, and hit a 3-pointer to keep the U within striking distance.

“I feel like I was able to show that I can play, and I can definitely help the team,” Ihnen said Tuesday. “I just feel like it was big for me to build confidence and also like for (Pitino) to build confidence in me.”

“I told him, ‘Stick with it, we’re still excited about you. We still believe in you.’ ” Pitino said. “And obviously, he came in last game, hit a big 3. His length is important defensively. He covers a lot of ground, and the more weight he puts on, he’s able to guard some of those (power forwards), because some teams are going to play two bigs in this league, and it’s very, very challenging.”

Go Gophers!!

Ihnen is looking more and more comfortable on the court, I guess that comes with minutes. There was a play last night, a missed layup, that I think next year he has no problem making. He will get more comfortable with contact, and put on a little weight. He's going to be a nice player in the future!

Ihnen is looking more and more comfortable on the court, I guess that comes with minutes. There was a play last night, a missed layup, that I think next year he has no problem making. He will get more comfortable with contact, and put on a little weight. He's going to be a nice player in the future!

Looks to me like Ihnen has put on weight just from the beginning of the season. Pitino mentioned that he was working hard with the strength coach and pounding down the calories. Working hard and still has time to contribute this season.

He certainly doesn’t fill the stat sheet with much besides fouls, but I do think he injects some good energy into the team and has some serious hustle.
He’s Oturus insurance policy. When Oturu edges up on the fouls Omersa comes in to wreck havoc in the post. Since he’s expendable he can be aggressive when Daniel has to tone it down. I expect at least one of these two to foul out each game. Usually it’s Omersa but last night it was Daniel.

There was a possession last night where Daniel was on the court with four fouls, and Ihnen was guarding Reuvers. I’m not sure if that was planned, or there was a switch. In any case, Reuvers tried a back-in post move, and Ihnen totally shut Reuvers down. Count me as someone that wants to see Ihnen get more minutes.

There was a possession last night where Daniel was on the court with four fouls, and Ihnen was guarding Reuvers. I’m not sure if that was planned, or there was a switch. In any case, Reuvers tried a back-in post move, and Ihnen totally shut Reuvers down. Count me as someone that wants to see Ihnen get more minutes.

I would imagine that showing the ability to defend stuff like that better and more consistently in practice over the past few weeks is a big reason that he is getting more rope and time on the floor in games now as opposed to earlier in the season.

And less Omersa. He just makes too many errors.
Not sure why people like to put down college kids, especially ones who have displayed nothing but class. There is a difference between constructive criticism and a put down. I like the thought of posting something you would say to someone's face.

I like the rotation Pitino has settled in on. It perfectly fits Jim Molinari's old adage, "Play 8, trust 7."

Pitino trusts Williams and Omersa off the bench, and Isaiah is becoming the guy who can't quite be completely trusted yet, but I don't mind him getting minutes at all.

I like the rotation Pitino has settled in on. It perfectly fits Jim Molinari's old adage, "Play 8, trust 7."

Pitino trusts Williams and Omersa off the bench, and Isaiah is becoming the guy who can't quite be completely trusted yet, but I don't mind him getting minutes at all.
You can always contribute defensively if you have the want. Isaiah has the ability to be extremely impactful on defense immediately. The game will continue to slow down for him offensively with more minutes.

And less Omersa. He just makes too many errors.
Depending who is on the floor with him, I think he is a good change of pace. Plays good D, does occasionally leave his feet when he shouldn't, but he's a solid defender.

Ihnen had one of the most textbook boxouts I have ever seen last night on a missed free throw. The video of it should be shown to kids on how to do it perfectly.

Depending who is on the floor with him, I think he is a good change of pace. Plays good D, does occasionally leave his feet when he shouldn't, but he's a solid defender.
Even when he does leave his feet, he's shown the ability to recover quickly and not get beat. Would like him to be a bit more disciplined like you said, but he's such an athlete he can bail himself out if needed.

I still have a lot of hope that Omersa can turn into a good energy player by the end of his four years here. The guy I kind of hope he turns into is J'son Stamper. Energy, physicality, toughness, and eventually, a little bit of offense.

I still have a lot of hope that Omersa can turn into a good energy player by the end of his four years here. The guy I kind of hope he turns into is J'son Stamper. Energy, physicality, toughness, and eventually, a little bit of offense.
He's already got the good energy player down pat, its the putting the ball in the hole like you say that i hope he gets better at!

Ihnen had one of the most textbook boxouts I have ever seen last night on a missed free throw. The video of it should be shown to kids on how to do it perfectly.
I love his potential. I think the fear a lot of people have had on him has been- is this going to be Buggs- a super nice kid who is raw and wants to float on the perimeter?
I think Ihnen is showing us some rapid improvement in picking up the nuances of team play, defense and the value of being a player who mixes it up and doesn't just look for long range shots. He showed us last night that - against certain teams he is going to be versatile enough in the years ahead to play anywhere from the 3 to the 5 position as he gains strength.
He was called for traveling on one second half attempt at a drive, but man he has some quick feet and is going to be able to be a dual threat out there, driving and shooting.

Hopefully Omersa starts to figure it out offensively. Kind of like Jericho Sims who is very athletic, but really never figured it out until this year where he's had some big games and is averaging 10 points a game finally!

Looks to me like Ihnen has put on weight just from the beginning of the season. Pitino mentioned that he was working hard with the strength coach and pounding down the calories. Working hard and still has time to contribute this season.
I wasn't meaning to sound over critical. He can still progress this season and contribute quality minutes. That said, I just meant in the future he could be a solid starting player. Count me in as wanting to see Ihnen get more minutes moving forward.

With Curry being out with injury again, Omersa is the only player we have with any muscle. In the big ten most teams have 3-4 muscular players. We are missing that element of physicalness, hard screens, taking and giving bumps, etc. Ihnen looks heavier and is playing better. He has a high ceiling. Omersa is an athlete, but being 6-6" in the post means you can get shot over at times.

With Curry being out with injury again, Omersa is the only player we have with any muscle. In the big ten most teams have 3-4 muscular players. We are missing that element of physicalness, hard screens, taking and giving bumps, etc. Ihnen looks heavier and is playing better. He has a high ceiling. Omersa is an athlete, but being 6-6" in the post means you can get shot over at times.
I agree with this big time. Need someone who can step up and bang with those types on D. Also doesn't hurt to have a guy who is tough to move on O.

Ihnen is really progressing; his defensive footwork, and strength have come a long way from the beginning of the season. He still needs to be more aggressive and better rebounder. Having said that he has had one of the better in season improvements for a freshman that I have seen for the Gophers.

Ihnen contributing more this year would be nice, I love the arc of his 3 pointers. Omersa developing in any way could make him a very scary. Because of pure strength and athleticism, hes a junkyard dog type, but hopefully he can become a halfway decent scorer and an excellent rebounder.

I don't think it's out of the question for Ihnen to replace Omersa on that 7 come tourney time (if we play well enough to get there). Omersa still adds value off the bench but Ihnen's length and defensive versatility is really adding something we don't have.

I don't think it's out of the question for Ihnen to replace Omersa on that 7 come tourney time (if we play well enough to get there). Omersa still adds value off the bench but Ihnen's length and defensive versatility is really adding something we don't have.

Doubt Omersa would lose his minutes all together. If anything Demir/Oturo will get reduced time. I know there were fouls but seeing Ihnen and Omersa together on the court wasn't awful imo if it's with Willis, Gabe, and Marcus

It might already be happening. Ihnen has gotten more minutes than Omersa the last 2 games. Nothing against Omersa at all. I love his defense and energy, but I think Ihnen will continue to get more minutes than him going forward.

It might already be happening. Ihnen has gotten more minutes than Omersa the last 2 games. Nothing against Omersa at all. I love his defense and energy, but I think Ihnen will continue to get more minutes than him going forward.
They are so different. I think you could see Omersa in there to rough up Garza a bit against Iowa and perhaps Watkins with PSU. Most of the rest of the games, Ihnen appears to have the edge and offers more on a two way basis. It was comforting to see us go 3-4 minutes and expand the lead against Wisky when Oturu had to sit and we had Ihnen and Omersa in there.

They are so different. I think you could see Omersa in there to rough up Garza a bit against Iowa and perhaps Watkins with PSU. Most of the rest of the games, Ihnen appears to have the edge and offers more on a two way basis. It was comforting to see us go 3-4 minutes and expand the lead against Wisky when Oturu had to sit and we had Ihnen and Omersa in there.

Agreed, they are very different players, so playing time for them will probably vary depending on matchups. I think Ihnen will likely average more minutes for the remainder of the season though.

Agreed, they are very different players, so playing time for them will probably vary depending on matchups. I think Ihnen will likely average more minutes for the remainder of the season though.
Yep. And he is going to get hot and hit two or three bombs in one of these games coming up....

Top Bottom