PP article

Reaction score
http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci_11027522

Ok, i understand that this season has been a HUGE imporvement over last season. I understand that it was a much more enjoyable experience. I understand what Maturi is saying here, but why would you make this comment now? It is like he's expecting them to lose this game and go to a lesser bowl. It sounds like a built in excuse to me.

I wouldn't get too worked up over it. I think its more of a look at the bigger picture than an idictment of "well, if we lose, its okay." From my perspective, its more of an honest statement of where we are at.

The fact is we still have a lot of holes on this team. And while all of us would love to beat Iowa and win the bowl game, the fact of the matter is that there is still quite a ways to go before we can start thumping our chests on a regular basis. Personally, I think all Maturi is trying to say is that we have to realistic about the team. And as a result, we need to look at the bigger picture than simply the "if we don't win, we're garbage" theories that are prevalent around the Twin Cities.

Just my opinion.

I think that the 7 win season is obviously a huge improvement, and in looking at the big picture, I think one of the biggest benefits of the improvement and going to a bowl game is that this young football team is going to have an entire extra month of practice that they would have missed out on.

Having this extra time will help us heal for the bowl game, but on a larger scale, it's an extra month to gel, to learn and to condition in looking ahead to next year as well.

Staying realistic

I agree that Maturi is just reminding us that the big picture is what's important. Although it would be disappointing to end on a losing streak, that is the product of the schedule. The non-conference schedule was soft and, with the exception of OSU, we played the worst B10 teams early. Now that we're playing the better B10 teams, our deficiencies are showing. (The Michigan game is the exception. We just played poorly in that game.)

This team has made tremendous progress from this year to last and is progressing in some areas throughout the year (Fr WRs stepping up). Those who were seriously thinking Rose Bowl when we were 7-1 were being overly optimistic. 7-5 or 8-4 is as good or better than we all thought they'd be. Let's revel in the progress and look for continued improvement and achieving the high goals that Brewster has set for the program.

Right on schedule or even a bit ahead!

Top Bottom