Pound the Rock

Silvio

Reaction score
I know the gophers want to have an offensive identity of running the ball. This helps keep time of possession and shorten games. However our two best offensive players are both receivers. Does the offense need to get closer to a 50/50 split in order to keep the defenses honest and make it easier to run? In addition will we see a more equal split in big ten play?

Listed below are the run/pass splits for the gophers and the run first teams in the big ten whose success we wish to copy.

Minnesota offensive plays:
Run - 174
Pass - 77

Wisconsin offensive plays:
Run - 182
Pass - 70

Ohio State offensive plays:
Run - 172
Pass - 82

Iowa offensive plays:
Run - 159
Pass - 71

Penn State offensive plays:
Run - 146
Pass - 70

I'll take whatever moves the ball. If that's run all the time, fine, if that's pass all the time, that's fine too.

If our defense was playing better the ratio the Gophers are using would be a recipe for success (at least thus far...we'd have beaten USD and NIU with better D). It's a tough spot to be in. I'm with the group that feels its not the ratio that needs adapting, rather, the playcalling when it comes to when we pass should be more diverse.

That is hard to do with keeping the current ratio as an incomplete pass on first down will lead to a lower percentage of getting a first down ( I know that 2nd and ten isn't much different than the current 2nd and 8). But increasing the passing plays in non passing situations should help open up the run game.

That is hard to do with keeping the current ratio as an incomplete pass on first down will lead to a lower percentage of getting a first down ( I know that 2nd and ten isn't much different than the current 2nd and 8). But increasing the passing plays in non passing situations should help open up the run game.

Certainly. But the USC game was a great example of when you needed to mix it up more. Their secondary is HORRIBLE. And there were plenty of holes to take advantage of. We were also getting killed running the ball. Why not mix in a little 1st down play action? Nothing to lose.

I agree, I think at times are they cutting off their nose to spite their face in attempting to force a running game on the opposition.

I raised this issue following the NIU game. NIU gave up 300 + yards to Illinois. We want to be a team that "Pounds the rock" and we come out throwing the ball. I didn't get it then and I don't get it now. We were successful against MTSU but they were a bit undersized.

Got to believe that the OC doesn't have any faith in our O line. He ought to know.

Top Bottom