Postgame reaction react

Doogie

Reaction score
Had a chance to attend today's game with a media pass ... plan on going more in-depth on this later, but it seems like more than anyone else, when Hoffarber is on fire (scoring in double-digits), they win ... semi-hard to believe that he didn't score vs. Texas A&M.

Hoffarber said afterward that his confidence was shaken at times last year ... lots of talk about the 3-guard lineup ... expect to see a lot more of that.

Sampson III said there's been extra focus on rebounding in practice ... a lot more drills ... also helped that they played maybe the worst rebounding team in the country (13 off. rebs for MN, 43 to 33 advantage overall)

Phil Martelli is the best college coach interview in the country ... we used to have him on KFAN all the time ... he is the real deal ... St. Joseph's was spelled St. Joesph's on the postgame stats sheet. Martelli: "How the hell did they spell St. Joseph's wrong?"
I asked him if MN compares at all to Purdue & Villanova, who they also have seen ... looked at me for 10 seconds or so, then gave a 4 min. breakdown ... was super ... said he thinks MN is better offensively than Pur., if you can believe that ... but said he has Purdue in his top-4 in the USA Today Coaches Poll ... has Villanova in the top-3, doesn't have MN ranked, but did earlier ... said Purdue is just relentless and nasty ... added that MN is better defensively in person than what he saw on tape.

Tubby was asked a lot about Blake ... when asked who Blake compares to, said "Chuck Hayes" ... from the standpoint of making teammates better, always making the right decision, always being in the right place.
Added that today was "probably" his team's best performance of the season.

I have noticed

that it seems as though whenever the gophers have a good game against a quality opponent Hoffarber is the key---he is the guy that gets a close game into a big lead for the gophers. When he doesnt play much---or has an off night----we are nothing special. Hoffarber does seem to be the key. I think he needs to keep starting and getting his minutes. Had this happened in
Anaheim and Miami we may have only one loss.

Doogie, not a knock, just wondering, who do you get in with a press pass, fox 9?

Fox 9 is correct. I write for their website and have been contributing on-air, both on their morning show and nightside for 4-years now.

Doog...

Thanks for the great post. Very ineteresting...
:clap: :clap: :clap:

Great questions for Martelli Doogie and good post.

I loved how aggressive we played today and that we pushed the ball all game long. The big men played very well and of course it's great having a hot Hoff - he appears more confident this year and isn't hesitating to shoot the ball.

Tubby sounded pleased after the game. It was also a nice crowd today, which is clearly a reflection of having a more well-known team visiting.

I think the person who plays the St. Joe's mascot had to be the most tired out there today. How does he/she not have rotator cuff problems.

Go Gophers!!

Bleed...

Great questions for Martelli Doogie and good post.

I loved how aggressive we played today and that we pushed the ball all game long. The big men played very well and of course it's great having a hot Hoff - he appears more confident this year and isn't hesitating to shoot the ball.

Tubby sounded pleased after the game. It was also a nice crowd today, which is clearly a reflection of having a more well-known team visiting.

I think the person who plays the St. Joe's mascot had to be the most tired out there today. How does he/she not have rotator cuff problems.

Go Gophers!!

You may be interested in this "Mascot" thread...

http://www.forums.gopherhole.com/boards/showthread.php?t=12586

The St Joe Hawk is quite a big deal, as Mascots go.
:)

A couple of times Sampson got good position, sealed his man off, received a good entry pass and scored. He also had a few dunks, some blocked shots and some emotion. It was good to see.

Had a chance to attend today's game with a media pass ... plan on going more in-depth on this later, but it seems like more than anyone else, when Hoffarber is on fire (scoring in double-digits), they win ... semi-hard to believe that he didn't score vs. Texas A&M.

Hoffarber said afterward that his confidence was shaken at times last year ... lots of talk about the 3-guard lineup ... expect to see a lot more of that.

Sampson III said there's been extra focus on rebounding in practice ... a lot more drills ... also helped that they played maybe the worst rebounding team in the country (13 off. rebs for MN, 43 to 33 advantage overall)

Phil Martelli is the best college coach interview in the country ... we used to have him on KFAN all the time ... he is the real deal ... St. Joseph's was spelled St. Joesph's on the postgame stats sheet. Martelli: "How the hell did they spell St. Joseph's wrong?"
I asked him if MN compares at all to Purdue & Villanova, who they also have seen ... looked at me for 10 seconds or so, then gave a 4 min. breakdown ... was super ... said he thinks MN is better offensively than Pur., if you can believe that ... but said he has Purdue in his top-4 in the USA Today Coaches Poll ... has Villanova in the top-3, doesn't have MN ranked, but did earlier ... said Purdue is just relentless and nasty ... added that MN is better defensively in person than what he saw on tape.

Tubby was asked a lot about Blake ... when asked who Blake compares to, said "Chuck Hayes" ... from the standpoint of making teammates better, always making the right decision, always being in the right place.

Great post Doogie!! Will I see you at the Vike's game tomorrow?? I will if you are near the CBS trucks!! Talk more later!!!

One thing is for sure, Martelli isn't shy. There were times during the game when basically everyone in the arena could hear him shouting instructions at his players. I've always liked Martelli's style and it certainly translates to his teams on the court. On top of that, he's always seemed like quite the character, which is why I'm not surprised that he gave Doogie some pretty good stuff during post-game interviews. :)

Haugy#33 -- I am not doing stats for CBS this time around ... same company, but have different work for cbssports.com, so I'll be in the press box. Swing by and say hi though if you have a sec. I always loiter on the sidelines, watching warmups at 10:45 a.m. or so.

Doogie - nice post - I wish you'd write more like this, and much less of the anti-Brewster trust type! Thanks.

Doogie...just a warning about Haugy#33...I know this obnoxious brat very well, he will steal your wallets for later use if you are not careful.

Greet him from Dr.Don.

Thanks, and good post, Doogie.

Will do so ... actually had a nice, quick conversation with him on my way into the Metrodome.

doogie who on the gophers staff just gets it? You know like Jedd did this summer.

Funny ... Fisch might've fooled me ... I had 90-minutes in his office and he blew me away ... let's give him some time though.

Doogie - nice post. Much better that the rumors and opinions, this is real reporting and raises your image greatly. Keep this up an you will be a favorite on GH.

For the record, I had nothing to do with that.

Top Bottom