Post Season Bowls north of the Mason-Dixon Line

hungan1

Reaction score
Now with the new Vikings stadium slated to open soon, it is high time to consider the US Bank Stadium for a future bowl site.

IMHO, we will not have a difficult time putting more fans in the stands than in Detroit. I have nothing against Detroit. Minneapolis and the Twin Cities have a lot more to offer fans in the polar region north of Mason-Dixon.

Maybe, they ought to consider moving one of the less popular bowl venues down south or west that do not draw as much to Minneapolis.

I vote for it to be named "The 5 and 7 Bowl" game.

If a somebody with $$$ wanted to make it happen, it could happen.

One problem with the TC is that it is expensive to fly here so getting fans could be a challenge without a local draw. However if it is all about TV revenues, does it really matter where they play these games? Maybe an indoor venue has advantages from a TV standpoint?

IMHO, we will not have a difficult time putting more fans in the stands than in Detroit.

Michigan has five Division I football programs. They like college football. Minnesota has one Division I program and built a 50000 seat stadium for it.

Michigan has five Division I football programs. They like college football. Minnesota has one Division I program and built a 50000 seat stadium for it.

I think they have six. BGSU, WMU, CMU, EMU, UM, MSU.

MORE bowl games ARE coming. And with conferences playing more conference games, and fewer games against FCS teams, we will see a team with a 4-8 record in a bowl game very soon.

There is just nothing to prevent this from happening. So it will.

As much as I love Minneapolis, I have to disagree. I travel to the Gopher bowl games every year (including this year) and I have no desire to go to a cold weather destination. The weather in Detroit this year was absolutely miserable, and yet it was worse in Minneapolis. I cannot imagine many people wanting to come to Minneapolis for a bowl game, even though the city itself is vastly superior to Detroit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Now with the new Vikings stadium slated to open soon, it is high time to consider the US Bank Stadium for a future bowl site.

IMHO, we will not have a difficult time putting more fans in the stands than in Detroit. I have nothing against Detroit. Minneapolis and the Twin Cities have a lot more to offer fans in the polar region north of Mason-Dixon.

Maybe, they ought to consider moving one of the less popular bowl venues down south or west that do not draw as much to Minneapolis.

I wholeheartedly agree. The bowls are saturated and there are cities in the south with 2-3 bowl games per. Need to start eliminating some of those and moving one of them north to USBS. If Detroit can have a bowl for 15 years, we can have one in the nicest NFL stadium in the country, equipped with light rail and connected skyways to every building downtown.

Move the Champs sports bowl from Orlando and rename it DQ Blizzard Bowl
2015 BLIZZARD BOWL.jpg
bowl USBS.jpg

How long until we have enough bowl games for everyone? We're only 24 games away.

I've said before, that there needs to be more teams in FBS anyways.....

Two things. One, I don't think you can just pick up a bowl from one location and move it to another. The community and businesses there support the game, and that doesn't move. You'd have to open a new bowl, and competitively push a lesser bowl out of the market.

Second, if a bowl game starts in USBS, I'll buy a ticket and go every year just to have a fun day downtown and go to the stadium, God only know I won't be able to afford a ticket to a Vikings game for the first 5 years it's open. But that's just me.

MORE bowl games ARE coming. And with conferences playing more conference games, and fewer games against FCS teams, we will see a team with a 4-8 record in a bowl game very soon.

There is just nothing to prevent this from happening. So it will.

Yup. People need to ask themselves whether they'd rather watch many 5-7 (and some 4-8) teams in bowls OR suffer through OOC games vs. Eastern Illinois, Ill St, New Hampshire, etc.

Since we have moved well past stupid when it comes to the number of bowls, why not an 88-team playoff. The top 40 get a first round bye. In the second round, the top 24 teams play winners from the first round and seed the remaining 24 teams (25 vs. 40, 26 vs. 39, 27 vs. 38, etc.)

If 88 isn't enough, you could seed all 127 FBS teams plus the number ranked 1 FCS team. Just get rid of one or two non-conference games and make it up on the back end.

Since we have moved well past stupid when it comes to the number of bowls, why not an 88-team playoff. The top 40 get a first round bye. In the second round, the top 24 teams play winners from the first round and seed the remaining 24 teams (25 vs. 40, 26 vs. 39, 27 vs. 38, etc.)

If 88 isn't enough, you could seed all 127 FBS teams plus the number ranked 1 FCS team. Just get rid of one or two non-conference games and make it up on the back end.

Problem with that is schools make way too much money scheduling home NC games. No way would MN or any of the Power 5 conference members want to give up one or two (or more) home games for a playoff system. Even if they'd likely get one in the playoffs.

I do think they are just going to green light bowl games as a 13th (or 14th or 15th) game for any school not on probation. There's really no downside to it, as long as the games can find someone willing to televise them (which they will, even if it's Aggievision). Teams want the practices, cities want the money, ESPN/FS1 want games to broadcast. I mean, the games outside of a handful are already "meaningless" to all but fans of the teams involved (why would anyone other than Gopher/Chippewa fans care about Monday's QuickLane Bowl????). And by making all teams bowl eligible you eliminate any incentive to schedule cream puffs so fans should benefit. I think it will happen, and in the next few years we'll see 50-60 bowl games. You'll see all Power 5 schools in bowl games every year, and the majority of the Group of 5 schools will also be in one.

Moving bowl games????? Think about that for awhile.

If there's a bowl game at US Bank Stadium, they should be sure to make the payout big enough to move up the food chain. Not as much as the top bowls, of course, just more than the bottom+tier.

Sent from my XT1031 using Tapatalk

The more I think about it, the more I'd like a local bowl game to be sponsored by Dairy Queen. It could be called the "DQ Blizzard Bowl."

More than likely, it would be Mall Of America Bowl or 3M Bowl.
I do think we will see Mpls host Championship Game in near future.
There are a number of Bowls without a title sponsor. It's a handful of Bowls and I think those fall squarely on ESPN. For example, St.Petersburg, Miami Beach, Bahamas Bowls. I think there are 6-8 in that grouping. Son and I went to St. Petersburg Bowl (just to watch football....no rooting interest) and during every time out / commercial break it was commercials on the jumbo tron with the ESPN logo and the respective Bowl Logos which I found interesting if nothing else.

Isn't ESPN holding a monopoly on bowls? They'll push for more revenue streams, increase the number of bowls, and then stiff us cable and dish subscribers.

You just wait and see.

Frankly, I like the name DQ Dilly Bar Bowl. But, it will be a bunch of multinational corp type that will hold naming rights. Let's hope that if corporate purchased seats are going to be empty, why not donate them to local youth charities?

Top Bottom