Post Portal Big Ten Tourney Double-Bye Teams

SelectionSunday

Reaction score
I’ve got a couple surprises. Listing alphabetically:

Indiana
Michigan
Nebraska
Purdue

The first 3 I like what they’ve done in free agency. Hoosiers finally got a shooter (Goode), Michigan’s got the best overall haul, Huskers added nice pieces with what they have coming back (even with injury loss of Mast), and Boilers will be top 4 even without Edey. Painter will adapt accordingly.

Of the new Big Ten squads, I like Oregon & Dana Altman to make the smoothest transition.

I have zero clue. It was hard enough with 14 teams. I know that I don’t trust Woodson to be able to convert talent into a top 4. I also will have to see it with Purdue sans their cheat code.

As for Oregon, they’ve had high talent but were in the NIT two years ago and a bubble team this year. They’ve been a do less with more team for a while.

If Musselman is really a good coach, USC would be my pick to be the best of the newcomers.

I'll put my marker down on UCLA - not sure about top 4 overall, but for among the 4 newcomers. I don't like Skyy Clark much but I think their other additions are pretty good. UCLA isn't a traditional B1G style program, but I've always thought Mick Cronin would fit pretty well in the league as a coach.

I have zero clue. It was hard enough with 14 teams. I know that I don’t trust Woodson to be able to convert talent into a top 4. I also will have to see it with Purdue sans their cheat code.

As for Oregon, they’ve had high talent but were in the NIT two years ago and a bubble team this year. They’ve been a do less with more team for a while.

If Musselman is really a good coach, USC would be my pick to be the best of the newcomers.
I disagree a bit with the comment about Oregon, they've had an incredibly high number of injuries the last couple years. It's not about doing less with more, it's about doing what you can with limited numbers. I think Oregon was playing with 8 scholarship players for a chunk of this past season. They had to go on a hunt just to practice 5 on 5.
Dana did a very good job given the number of healthy bodies he had.

Plus with coach Tony Stubblefield coming back that should even help a lot more.

Top Bottom