Post game Tom Crean and Pitino - Gilbert has surgery on his finger tomorrow

GopherLady

Reaction score
Here you go - as always, not verbatim.

Tom Crean:
• Richard is an excellent coach, there's no question about that. We took too many jump shots to start, and it wasn't because we took them for granted. We knew we were playing a very aggressive, dangerous team. They're young in certain spots, but they're going to win, I just didn't want it to be today. We're really proud of this win. Our leadership was tremendous in this game, we played over some mistakes. We kept them off the offensive glass, for the most part, which was huge. We played through the foul difference, to win on the road without getting a lot of FT's.
• We don't talk about a guy having to do more, we talk about moving the ball better. One less dribble, one more pass, the more we do that…if we're patient with our spacing, we'll get it. It's not going to happen off the initial pass.
• Yogi is a great defender, his decision making is great. His teammates have a lot of confidence in him, because they have a lot of confidence in them.
• Joey King was outstanding, but we prepared for that. You don't want to go for a shot fake, you've got to stay attached to him. He's good, he's really good, because he can keep backing up because he can get fouled. He's tough, one of the tougher match-ups because he's one of the tougher players. Murphy is going to be ridiculously good. Konate moved as good as he's moved. Their front line is going to be fine, but Joey King creates match-ups because he's very strong.

Richard Pitino:
• Tough one obviously, the guys battled, but you're supposed to do that obviously. It came down to free throws, we couldn't make them which was odd, and a few loose balls at the end of the game. I feel like if we defend like that, we'll win a few games. We have to be close to perfect to beat a team like that. We had a few really silly turnovers at the end of the game. We need to find a way to win the game.
• (On a turnover at the end) That was a crucial play, we didn't get it, kind of looked like a travel, but we needed to grab that. Nate lost confidence at the end of the game, he's got to be our go-to guy at the end of the game.
• Gilbert was really good. He dislocated his finger on the left hand, I don't know how long he's going to be out. He's going to have surgery. His activity was really great. When he got hurt, it really screwed up our flow from a sub standpoint, I'm not saying he's the reason we lost. He's going to have surgery tomorrow.
• Murph not being in foul trouble - it helped. He rebounded well, they got in his head in the 1st couple minutes. FT shooting has to be a strength of his, because he's going to get fouled a lot. Bakary is not ready to play major minutes, he knocks a lot of balls out of our guy's hands.
• Carlos - he's not a great defender. He tries. His lower body strength isn't great. Joey really responded. We're a young team, we really need those guys.
• Starting line-up will have to change because of JR (Gilbert). He kind of stays in his lane as a player which is a strength of his.
• I knew he was coming. They have a few days off. He talked to the team before the game, and was the one who told them to shoot free throws (smiling). When you have a long season, it's good to get other voices. We're all saying the same thing, but it's good to hear from someone else.
• That's a dynamic offense, I think we did a good job on Farrell, what was he, 6-17?
• We told Joey, it's not you, it's not your fault. Starting doesn't matter, and I told him not to worry about it over and over. He was a little mentally out of it at Nebraska, and I told him, "you're making it about yourself," he said "you're right" and responded. Joey wakes up every morning proud to be a Gopher. I told him, our offense is so bad, if you have an open look, just shoot it.
• It's not hard to explain, I think the problem is, the elements overwhelm them. NU is a good team, but we don't fight through it when it happens. Teams go through it and figure it out. I think it's just learning on the court, that's the biggest thing. I don't want to play Murphy at the small forward, but we have to figure things out. Charles's biggest problem, is when there was a 5 point game, he had the TO, and has a mental lapse. Stephon has been playing great. Just for defensive purposes, Carlos is not a great defender. We're going to have to rotate with some 3 guard stuff, and Charles as well. We don't have a whole lot of depth, so we'll have to figure out Ahmad's injury.
• On Dorsey: He's got to stop turning the ball over, he's so fast, he needs to slow himself down a little more. He had some wacky TO's. When you watch him on the court, you've got to trust him. You need to find a way to not turn it over.
• I'm going to look back at this game, we're not a moral victory team, you've got to beat good teams by FT shooting, not turning the ball over, etc.
• The missed FT's took away from our confidence. We only shot 16 3's, which is good, let's attack the rim and shoot those FT's. down.

I'm sure this thread will be full of Pitino hate, but I see it the same way he sees's it. I've coached teams like this (albeit 8th and 9th graders), mentally they just eat themselves up. And when you are doing dumb things you need a senior or a stud to pull you through the tough times. How many times have our seniors compounded our mistakes? Now compare that to our last three opponents and watch their upper classmen pull them out of difficult stretches time and time again. It's frustrating, but hopefully, Mason is doing stuff like that in a couple years as he is our first chance at a true Big 10 4th year guy since Andre Hollins.

Thanks for the report. That turnover that Dorsey had with the score 46-44 was a bad one.
"We only shot 16 3's, which is good, let's attack the rim and shoot those FT's. down." I'm all for it. Buckle down defensively, do what he said in that quote and good things will happen. The worm will turn.

You have a chance to outscore your opponent if you play great defense. Our offense is not good, but the kids showed that they can play defense if they want to. Today was a positive step in the right direction.

Thanks, GL. Just nice to see some fight and hustle today. Finishing at the rim is another phase that needs improvement.

Thanks for the report. That turnover that Dorsey had with the score 46-44 was a bad one.
"We only shot 16 3's, which is good, let's attack the rim and shoot those FT's. down." I'm all for it. Buckle down defensively, do what he said in that quote and good things will happen. The worm will turn.

Dorseys turnover was a killer. Live ball TO and a layup on the other end. Ouch. A lot of man to man on "D" today, liked it.
FTs and finish at the rim...also a work in progress. The lads played hard today and hopefully Gilbert will be back sooner than later.

there was a lot to like about today's game but the biggest thing to me was the effort was there. From everyone. Carlos still taking heat for not being good defensively but I saw him fighting through screens and getting where he needed to be a couple of different times. Better team defense against the on ball screens by everyone. I think playing exclusively man to man helped.
tough to lose a game shooting 20 more free throws than an opponent, but at one point they had 17 more field goal attempts than us too. We had a lot of misses within 3 ft of the rim and knocked at least 3 defensive rebounds out of bounds giving them more opportunities.

Alumni Day next Saturday- we get to cheer on the young Gophers during the game and the old ones at half-time.

I assume a dislocation is better than a break for Gilbert?

I assume a dislocation is better than a break for Gilbert?

Not sure. Kobe Bryant dislocated a finger in a game back in 2009 and said it was his most painful basketball injury. Ronnie Lott would just cut the finger off :)

I once dislocated my dick. Never, ever, never did I ever think of cutting it off!

A lot of man to man on "D" today, liked it.

We actually moved on defense today. The biggest thing I saw today was our help defense rotations were much better, except Konate and Morris. Those two are terrible defenders. That said I think BK will be a good defender in time. You can see when he makes mistakes, he knows what he did wrong and it bothers him. He needs reps.

Love the energy on defense yesterday. I am/was in the camp thinking this was going to be a tough (understatement) year. The combination of so many freshman & lack of high quality veterans. Add a couple quality guys having to sit out & it's easy to see why we are struggling.

It's fair to bash Richard on how he handled the first couple years recruiting, but I look at this as year 1 of the true rebuild. Looking at where Enfield has USC, I look forward to what this team could be a couple years from now. Next year will be better, but the following year is where I have high hopes..... If Pitino can survive this year. Patience.... I know it's difficult.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Love the energy on defense yesterday. I am/was in the camp thinking this was going to be a tough (understatement) year. The combination of so many freshman & lack of high quality veterans. Add a couple quality guys having to sit out & it's easy to see why we are struggling.

It's fair to bash Richard on how he handled the first couple years recruiting, but I look at this as year 1 of the true rebuild. Looking at where Enfield has USC, I look forward to what this team could be a couple years from now. Next year will be better, but the following year is where I have high hopes..... If Pitino can survive this year. Patience.... I know it's difficult.

Enfield is an interesting example. Two terrible years to start and some off court incidents that were odd. I'm sure he was getting some heat. Now he has a junior and sophomore dominated team that is growing. Enfield is not suddenly a better coach, he just has better, more experienced players. It's not what year you are in, it's where you are in developing a given squad. Musselman, who in my mind was the greatest coach we ever had here had a lousy third year before he had the big recruiting class that included Thompson and Olberding.

Enfield is an interesting example. Two terrible years to start and some off court incidents that were odd. I'm sure he was getting some heat. Now he has a junior and sophomore dominated team that is growing. Enfield is not suddenly a better coach, he just has better, more experienced players. It's not what year you are in, it's where you are in developing a given squad. Musselman, who in my mind was the greatest coach we ever had here had a lousy third year before he had the big recruiting class that included Thompson and Olberding.

Exactly what I was thinking, but not enough time. I'm sure the fans there like the situation now. No guarantees, but the recruiting is indicating it is very possible.

I think we are all of the belief it is possible here. I've been through the ups & downs since the late 70's... If you thinks it's gonna happen tomorrow you will be let down.

Top Bottom