Post-Game Thread

GameDay

Reaction score
-I suggest not getting caught up in all the postseason hope and speculation (whichever tournament that may be) quite yet, focus on the now. That stuff will work itself out. This team has made some awesome strides these past few weeks, and how they are playing now is what we've been asking for all along. It's just great to see the guys execute and play confidently.

-Scrappy win. The team played physical, made big/timely play when they were needed most, and didn't let the road hostility phase them at all. That's how you win on the road in the Big Ten!

-We almost imploded and gave up a big lead at the end of the game. That definitely wasn't

-Andre Hollins stepped up in a huge way tonight and continues to play excellent basketball. Really glad it's coming together for him.

-Not a particularly strong game from Mo. But what a defensive play from him at the end, along with some clutch free throw shooting. Excellent!

-I feel good about the futures of Nate Mason and Charles Buggs. I'm confident they'll both really come together as players for us.

-How often have we been able to say "Clutch" in recent history?? It's nice to be able to say the word.

-I don't normally like to be an obnoxious winner, but take that Fran, take that Woodbury. Who hates Iowa? We hate Iowa!!

Thoughts, reactions, etc....GO!

I still am slightly aroused after this game and our team not melting down... And I'm not ashamed of it

As good as Mo was. I've gotta say great job by EE holding down the fort while he had 4 fouls.

coach just said EE had a good game and a "miracle" on his 2 made ft's

1. Depends what you mean by clutch. Clutch shots to build the lead? Yes. Clutch play to keep the lead? No. Last two minutes only Andre and Mo had fully functioning brains.

2. Not much to speculate post season wise. Win the 3 home games and 1 of the road games and they are sitting nice going into Big10 tourney. 1 game at a time.

-Glad to finally see this team win a close game on the road and overcome some horrible mistakes

-Was worried at halftime about an Iowa comeback because of how many points the Gophers left on the floor in the 1st half with free throw struggles and a couple mishaps on fastbreaks

-Buggs had some bad mistakes late but I really thought he stepped up and came through with some crucial hustle plays throughout the game

-Really solid team defense from the Gophers tonight getting a lot of deflections and forcing tough shots

-Andre really put this team on his back tonight

-Mason stepped up in the 2nd half and hit some big shots, really good to see him knock down 3/4 free throws down the stretch

-Really thought we got hit with a number of very weak foul calls an Iowa was able to get away with a lot of holding especially late in the game one specifically was on the inbounds to Andre that went off his hands and out of bounds

last time the Gophs won at Ia....Eliason and Walker were freshmen

I knew we had a chance earlier today when Gopher Warrior started popping off about how good Iowa was. :) Great game!

-Glad to finally see this team win a close game on the road and overcome some horrible mistakes

-Was worried at halftime about an Iowa comeback because of how many points the Gophers left on the floor in the 1st half with free throw struggles and a couple mishaps on fastbreaks

-Buggs had some bad mistakes late but I really thought he stepped up and came through with some crucial hustle plays throughout the game

-Really solid team defense from the Gophers tonight getting a lot of deflections and forcing tough shots

-Andre really put this team on his back tonight

-Mason stepped up in the 2nd half and hit some big shots, really good to see him knock down 3/4 free throws down the stretch

Consistency is the name of the game with Mason. If he brings what he is capable of on a more consistent basis, we are going to have a real nice player going forward!

The defense continues to get better and it's great to see. We're really seeing the difference between year 1 and year 2 in Pitino's system. It will be interesting to see things once we have more shooters and better athletes down low.

Hollins continues to play extremely well. He's averaging 22.4 points and 29 for 53 (54.7%) 3 pointers in his last seven games.

We had just 6 turnovers to Iowa's 16. That's the reason we won this game.

On another note, I wonder where all the Andre Hollins haters went...

At this point, they're NIT. Earlier in the conference season, that was iffy. Right now, I'd say that the Gophers are the team in the lower half of the standings that the top teams want to avoid come BTT time.

Pitino, I thought, did a real good job using the bench in the first half. Great win.

Where Andre hollins goes this team goes. On another note we don't win this game game without the effort of Buggs and Diedhiou in the first half. Best I've seen them.

Nobody hates Andre Hollins. He wasn't playing well, and people pointed it out.

Buggs had some very rough plays late, but he seems to be moving much better laterally on defense then he has in the past. Iowa certainly isn't the quickest team, and Buggs has played well against them in the past, but I took this as a good sign that we can use Buggs at the 3 a little bit more as we go down the stretch. Morris made a couple of nice plays, but negated a steal by (AGAIN) wildly driving in to try to finish himself when a pass to a teammate would have been the better choice. His creative drives to the basket, speed, and quick hands on defense are all assets, but the decision making seems to be getting worse these past two games.

Didn't mention this in the game thread, but wow was Nate Mason good against the Iowa pressure/trap defense down the stretch. I think some of us (myself being one of them) don't make a big enough deal about how poised he has been handling the ball down the stretch in games. There are other Gophers who have played a lot more B1G basketball that clearly don't feel comfortable handling the ball in those situations. Mason's little runner off the glass after taking the shot clock down to 10 was nice too.

Talked about Walker, Eliason, and Hollins in the game thread so won't repeat what I said there, but happy that all 3 had big moments for us tonight.

One thing I will repeat here since it really bothers me is that call on Hollins late in the game. The Gophers appeared to have corralled or at least were in the process of corralling a rebound in the lane and it certainly looked like a run out for a transition bucket was likely. A late whistle by the ref and an off the ball foul was called on Hollins. I was surprised the announcers didn't make more of this because it was a HUGE call and a very bizarre one especially considering time and score.

I think Pitino deserves credit for getting a win on the road at this point in the season. His players have to know preseason expectations are unlikely to be met, yet they went and won on the road against a team that had a ton of momentum and was playing its best ball of the season. It would have been easy for this team to pack it in, especially with how poorly they were shooting the ball in the first half and with some of the calls that went against them in the second, but they stayed focused and never had that 2-3 minute disaster stretch that has done them in so many times.

Where Andre hollins goes this team goes. On another note we don't win this game game without the effort of Buggs and Diedhiou in the first half. Best I've seen them.

I missed most the first half, Diedhiou looked good in the first half?

I want a mulligan on the BIG season.

I know Buggs made a couple of bad decisions late in the game, but overall I think he makes us a better team.
Have been saying from the beginning of the season he needs more playing time and we see why now. You take the good with the bad and you learn from your mistakes......great win, and great game

Looked very active. Obviously he is very raw offensively but he brings something that this team can use defensively. Long arms and athletic ability are something King doesn't have. I think he can help down the stretch against long teams like Iowa.

I was only able to watch a few minutes, but in that short period of time he pulled down an offensive rebound while being swarmed by 3 hawkeyes. Definitely impressive.

Nice win. We had to beat a good team and a hearty helping of B1G Home Cookin' to boot.

I was only able to watch a few minutes, but in that short period of time he pulled down an offensive rebound while being swarmed by 3 hawkeyes. Definitely impressive.

It's what we lacked last year. Someone who can knock someone into the 1st row and grab a rebound. Basically what I hoped Martin would be, but with less (no) offense.

And that was the only time he was in the game. That was an impressive moment but I'm going to have to see more of the moments before I have a lot of optimism.

I'd say looking good is a stretch but he was holding his own. We have some very raw talent but there are some bright spots for sure.

Top Bottom