Post Game Thread: Minnesota Gives Up 600 Yards and 49 Points to Purdue

Defense can't get off field vs bad Purdue offense and we're clamoring for new QB?

Sounds right
There were several Purdue drives where the defense got off the field very quickly. All were the result of Purdue TDs … but our defense was getting the ball back to AK8 and the offense very quickly.

Guys don’t want to be backups, or be forced to play “off positions”. They’ll just portal out, now, if they aren’t getting what they want after the 2nd/3rd spring ball. (That’s not even to mention NIL tampering to steal away stars.)

There is no such thing as “veteran depth” anymore. Either your starters are iron men and/or very lucky, and thus stay healthy all season, or you have to hope like hell that young guys can step in at play at a high level. For Alabama, Michigan, etc. that’s probably not a big deal.

It has ruined our season, however, on defense at least.

And then — inexplicably — the DLine forgot to get off the plane. Against a banged up, vulnerable Purdue OL Mash unit. Had been playing great all year, best unit on defense. Get embarrassed by Purdue OL. Gopher football 2023

Last edited:

And while I generally agree with Gaard and Burns that our offense had scored plenty enough points to win these games, at times I swear it has almost been anti-complimentary football.

Case in point: start of the 2nd half, our defense finally starts figuring things out for a time. So of course, the offense goes in the crapper then. If we had been able to catch that TD, who knows what that swing in momentum might do.

I wasn't able to watch the Purdue game in real time and I'm sure as hell not going to do that now, but...

For all those complaining about the D line, are you sure it wasn't the linebackers getting schooled? Rossi usually tasks the D line with first keeping the blockers off the linebackers in the run game so the LBs can make the plays. Did the D line allow the Purdue O line to get downfield to block linebackers? This was the big issue with Rob Smith and Rossi quickly cleaned that up.

I wasn't able to watch the Purdue game in real time and I'm sure as hell not going to do that now, but...

For all those complaining about the D line, are you sure it wasn't the linebackers getting schooled? Rossi usually tasks the D line with first keeping the blockers off the linebackers in the run game so the LBs can make the plays. Did the D line allow the Purdue O line to get downfield to block linebackers? This was the big issue with Rob Smith and Rossi quickly cleaned that up.
The LB's were getting owned. Once #6 went down, they put in FR #49. He was struggling so they put in RFR #44. Neither did well. With that said, the DL did not have a good game. Safeties didn't have a good game either. They put in #16 after a while and he was whiffing on tackles just the same as the others. It was very much a team effort.

Guys don’t want to be backups, or be forced to play “off positions”. They’ll just portal out, now, if they aren’t getting what they want after the 2nd/3rd spring ball. (That’s not even to mention NIL tampering to steal away stars.)

There is no such thing as “veteran depth” anymore. Either your starters are iron men and/or very lucky, and thus stay healthy all season, or you have to hope like hell that young guys can step in at play at a high level. For Alabama, Michigan, etc. that’s probably not a big deal.

It has ruined our season, however, on defense at least.

And then — inexplicably — the DLine forgot to get off the plane. Against a banged up, vulnerable Purdue OL Mash unit. Had been playing great all year, best unit on defense. Get embarrassed by Purdue OL. Gopher football 2023
Are you directing this at the Gophers, or other teams? If they are not starting or in what they see as an "off?" position, what team is going to pick them up in the portal to be a starter...one better or worse than the team they left?

DL had an off game.

Huh? I think for a lot of young people it is a big selling point. It’s one of the top ten cities in the country I would argue.
You're right, Minneapolis is a selling point for a lot of young people. They're on the field for the Gophers. Meanwhile some kids prefer a smaller, college town like Ames, Iowa City, Manhattan, Lawrence, Madison, Bloomington, Champaign, Boulder, Lincoln, et al.

Top Bottom