[POST GAME THREAD] Minnesota defeats Oregon State 30-23

Hollinsanity

Reaction score
Over at r/CFB the mods separate out the game thread and post-game thread. Pretty helpful for those coming home from the game who don't want to filter through 500+ posts.

Wasn't pretty, but a win's a win. What'd you think Gopherhole?

Not going far at this rate. Plus, how many injuries and penalties? It's last year 2.0.

Yeah never, ever a gimme in Gopherland...I loved every minute of it

Ugly win in still a win. There are issues, but I'm feeling good tonight.

Sent from my XT1031 using Tapatalk

Definitely need Carter, Lingen, and Brooks all back.

Felt like crap the entire game. Feel okay now.

Just interested to see what Gophers and OSU look like next weekend.

Bright spots for me: the Freshman as a whole (especially Devers, Martin, and Tyler Johnson), Mitch on the ground, Rodney, the run D.

Problems: Mitch via the air, penalties, bland play calling, a few major coverage breakdowns that Oregon State luckily didn't punish us for, ATROCIOUS screen D, and penalties.

More problems than bright spots for sure, but I'm still bullish on the team given the soft schedule.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Outcoached, mental mistakes all game long.....embarrassing football.

Now that both coordinators know that Ferentz didn't have screen passes banned, I think they'll improve that point next week.

I never agreed with those on here who thought this game was gonna be easy. OSU was bound to be better year 2 under Anderson who is a very, very good coach. Vegas set the line at 12.5 and we won by 8. It wasn't always pretty but a win in the opener against a power 5 school is something hard to complain about in my opinion.

The good newes is we held them to less than 100 yards rushing missing two linebackers due to ejections. Devers was a nice surprise and I thought ML7 played ok and Smith and Johnson r going to be fun to watch.

Bad news is the offensive line needs work, especially center. And I still can't believe the call to go for two . And worse was TC's explanation after the game. He just looked stupid saying that. Unbelievable.

Having said all that, it's a win in game one which can always be shaky. See Tennessee tonight. I'm going to bed and will sleep pretty sound.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I understand Claey's thinking by going for 2 at the end. I still think you kick it though. You convert, game is over. If you don't, very good chance they kick the extra point if they score.

Did Merrick Jackson play at all? I don't remember seeing him.

The good news:
- We won despite having lots of people injured or ejected
- The offense was brutal for much of the game, but came up with two great drives in the fourth quarter.
- I especially liked the passing on the last TD drive. This was something I feel like Kill would not have done. Claeys definitely plays to win.

I'm excited to see what happens with the offense when we get Lingen, Brooks and Carter in the mix.

We still appear to be lacking in the downfield threat at WR.

The penalties were frustrating, but probably too soon to tell if that is a real problem or if this was a fluke. The biggest concern I had was that our secondary got torched at times. I guess such is life without Murray and Calhoun.

I thought Leidner played a good game. He had a great game scrambling - how many drives did he keep alive? Didn't see many bad decisions throwing other than maybe near the end when he probably should have just slid and kept the clock going instead of trying to force it in to Beebe.

With all the negitve Nancy's I'll go positive... Devers is explosive and that was not a targeting on him bs call... His elbow made contact first ... 4 sacks 9 TFL's on our defense ... OL vastly improved at pass blocking but we need a OC that don't snaps the ball 10' in the air on shotgun.... We are 1-0 hell ya!!!

We were fortunate to escape. There is a lot to work on. First game, yada yada yada. We did not play very well and we still won. That's a positive. The team will get better. I am more concerned about some of the decisions.

I understand Claeys thinking. Generally the math favors being aggressive, eg on 4th downs, while most coaches are conservative so it is what we are used to. It didn't work out tonight. I did like the aggressiveness at the end of the half. Those field goals are so important.

This is why when everyone I knew was going "we need to blow out this team"
I had a major eye roll....until I gave myself a headache. When is the last time
that we rolled over a team we were supposed to roll over? One thing I didn't
expect, was the hugely dumb mental mistakes, costly mistakes that got THREE
players ejected, I have never seen that before at any level.....has anyone?!

Tomorrow..these guys better be running wind sprints until they're throwing up food
they haven't even eaten yet. Unacceptable.

I understand Claey's thinking by going for 2 at the end. I still think you kick it though. You convert, game is over. If you don't, very good chance they kick the extra point if they score.

He got tossed for targeting sideline Dilly bars.

Tough to watch at times for sure. Especially the penalties, bad snaps, ejections and giving up those third down conversions. It was also frustrating watching Leidner, as like other seasons he struggled throwing the ball at times.

At the same time, Leidner also made some plays and powered the team at points, at least that's something he brings to the table. Another positive was Rodney, especially that burst he had late in the game. Plus, the defense delivered when it needed to, those two turnovers for example.

Edit: Kick the PAT.

I get that by kicking the extra point, you can't get beat. But you also can win the game right then and there. I like a coach who plays to win.

Sent from my LGLS740 using Tapatalk

I get the go for two call. To me it comes down to a 50% of OSU making a two point conversion and sending the game to OT, vs. a 50% chance of us making a two point conversion and ending the game right there. Either way, it's probably 50/50, and clearly Claeys prefers to be the aggressor in that situation. It was the exact same score and situation against Illinois last year, we went for two, got it, and ended the game. He has had a whole off season since, so clearly he has thought about it and believes in that philosophy.

I have to say that I do not see much difference between this year's offense and last year's offense. The only real difference I see is that ML is a year older and more comfortable as qb. ML bailed out MN tonight with his legs. It was not the creative play calling that had any real significant role in this win.

Couldn't watch tonight, did anyone get hurt during the game?

1. I hope Rashad Still is ok.
2. 3 ejections? Lol. What the heck. Can't afford 1 in Big Ten season let alone 3.
3. Can Mitch Leidner buy a late hit call?
4. I'm all in on Leidner. Kid is gonna be a baller this year.
5. You could tell our defense went down a level after Poock got ejected. He is the heart of the defense. We need him.
6. Fix the center to QB exchanges.
7. Fix the pre snap penalties.
8. Not an ideal result tonight, but I'm more encouraged then I was at this time last year. At least we moved the ball. Need to get better on both sides of the ball.

Couldn't watch tonight, did anyone get hurt during the game?

Yes, Rallis looks like got an elbow injury. Calhoun & Still left with what looked like wrist injuries.

Rallis was injured and didn't return to the game, that I saw, so we were actually short 3 LB's. I think that not having the experienced LB"s in the game showed up in the screen game.

I get that by kicking the extra point, you can't get beat. But you also can win the game right then and there. I like a coach who plays to win.

Sent from my LGLS740 using Tapatalk

Do you take the higher percentage odds to kick the XP and assure you can't lose, or the lower % odds to convert the 2 pt to put the game away, but give yourself a higher percentage chance of losing?

We've been here before. The 'Mathematician' has answered incorrectly both times. The state of Kansas should invest in better Math teachers.

Didn't we do the same thing either last year or the year before (go for two to ice it)?

Not saying it's the right call, just trying to remember.

Top Bottom