[POST GAME THREAD] Minnesota defeats Michigan 49 - 24

Lots of thoughts about this game. I literally come away from the game with one positive and that was the Gophers being able to run the ball effectively against a team full of good athletes.

The special teams were awful, but I feel like we need to see what they look like with the starting K and P before we know for sure they are a long term problem.

I couldn't be more concerned about the defense. From the start, there were a couple East-West runs where last years team would stop them in the backfield for a loss and tonight the runner would get the corner on us and get positive yardage and often a big gain. We couldn't stop anything either up the gut or on the perimeter and made it so an inexperienced QB never had to make a difficult throw to beat us. Outside of Boye Mafe's early sack, I am not sure we forced another negative play until garbage time in the 4th quarter. When we are neither fast enough to make a play in space nor strong enough to get off blocks, things are not going to go well. It didn't show up as much because of the issues with the running game and short passing game, but when Michigan tried to go down the field, guys were often open there as well. Much of this game looked liked the Robb Smith era on defense and we won't contend in the West if it's not much, much improved from here.

Offensively, I am concerned by a few things. The first is the lack of deep shots taken against this defense. The announcers correctly pointed out that the shots were there and we weren't taking them. Can nobody separate on the outside in this offense? It was notable that we had Bateman in the slot on a number of his successfull plays. We need Rashod to win on the outside so someone else can win in the slot as its simply much easier to win from the slot than from outside the number. CAB had a big gain on a deep shot early, but he had no separation and simply made a great adjustment and catch. The other possibility is guys were getting open and Morgan wasn't seeing them. I was really disappointed in Morgan's play tonight after hearing what a fantastic offseason he had. He is still very bad at feeling pressure and also still has the habbit of scrambling out of the pocket and creating pressure that wasn't there. He had the one bad interception in garbage time, but in the first half he threw 2 or 3 balls that he was lucky were not picked. If you remember from last season, there was almost always a pick or a ball that should have been picked early in almost every game..and for the most part Tanner would be on point after that. The offensive line broke down in pass protection a lot late in the game and I was worried about the hits Tanner was taking especially since the game was out of reach.

I go back to how this team played against South Dakota to open last year and if we had played Michigan that night we would have been absolutely crushed. If anyone would have said we'd be in the CFP conversation and have to absolutely choke to miss the Rose Bowl in November, we all would have laughed. I am not saying history will repeat itself, just that I am not willing to write any possiblity off yet.

One final thought: For me, this result sucks because I really want validation that I can believe in this program. College GameDay at home against a helmet school in prime time was a perfect opportunity for Minnesota to show it was for real and last year was not just an aberration. I personally still have that fear that we will look back at '19-'20 and curse laying an egg in Iowa City for decades as we go back to being 8-4 in a "good" year. Losing tonight, especially in this manner, just amplifies that fear whether it is warranted or not.
Nice post and I want to touch on a couple points:
-Love the reference to South Dakota State, and I have faith PJ will have this team playing better every single week this year, whether that leads to 7-1, 4-4 or somewhere in between. It would be concerning if we were below 4-4.
-The defense is no doubt in somewhat of a rebuild and is gonna have it's struggles throughout the year. Linebacking core very concerning with Lindenberg, Sori-Marin and Aune leading the charge. Hopefully we see development and PT from Gordon and Willis as RS Freshmen, then possibly Burns and Brown as True FR. They're putting Lindenberg in a really tough spot out there but looks like not much of a choice without Oliver.
-Overall I wanna believe we could be a 7-1 team, but I think that means the offense puts up 40+ every time out. Somewhere between 4-6 wins is probably more realistic and I can live with. This defense just isn't good enough talent or development wise at this point. I think the offense is fine and played well tonight against maybe the best defense we'll see all year, besides maybe Wisconsin.
-I think we're more realistically looking at hopefully next year or the year after that and beyond to potentially winning the West and being a consistent contender, unless drastic improvement happens on D. Of course there's still that side of me that believes we can take it home this year and I'll roll with that faith.

Go Gophs

I couldn't be more concerned about the defense. From the start, there were a couple East-West runs where last years team would stop them in the backfield for a loss and tonight the runner would get the corner on us and get positive yardage and often a big gain. We couldn't stop anything either up the gut or on the perimeter and made it so an inexperienced QB never had to make a difficult throw to beat us. Outside of Boye Mafe's early sack, I am not sure we forced another negative play until garbage time in the 4th quarter. When we are neither fast enough to make a play in space nor strong enough to get off blocks, things are not going to go well. It didn't show up as much because of the issues with the running game and short passing game, but when Michigan tried to go down the field, guys were often open there as well. Much of this game looked liked the Robb Smith era on defense and we won't contend in the West if it's not much, much improved from here.

While Winfield was obviously an elite pass defender, I really think tonight showed that the bolded is where we'll miss him most. He was always there to set the edge on outside runs or make a big play-saving tackle when no one else was. He had instinct that you can't teach, and the defense as a whole tonight was lacking anything near it.

While Winfield was obviously an elite pass defender, I really think tonight showed that the bolded is where we'll miss him most. He was always there to set the edge on outside runs or make a big play-saving tackle when no one else was. He had instinct that you can't teach, and the defense as a whole tonight was lacking anything near it.
that dude was so undervalued its ridiculous. both at the collegiate level and in the draft. He;s a prime time player

I think the two takeaways I had from this game were that 1) it's hard to win when you don't have a punter 2) it's hard to win when you don't have someone that can't kick more than 30 yards.

This is going to be an odd year and getting upset about the result of this game would be ridiculous given the circumstances.

At least 14 Michigan points were due to the kicking game. If Minnesota isn't down two scores headed into the second half then things probably play out a little differently.

Hopefully some of those guys come back next week, but taking this result seriously is probably not a great idea.

Just glad i bet the over knowing our defense would suck and we would score some points on meatchicken

Lots of thoughts about this game. I literally come away from the game with one positive and that was the Gophers being able to run the ball effectively against a team full of good athletes.

The special teams were awful, but I feel like we need to see what they look like with the starting K and P before we know for sure they are a long term problem.

Offensively, I am concerned by a few things. The first is the lack of deep shots taken against this defense. The announcers correctly pointed out that the shots were there and we weren't taking them. Can nobody separate on the outside in this offense? It was notable that we had Bateman in the slot on a number of his successfull plays. We need Rashod to win on the outside so someone else can win in the slot as its simply much easier to win from the slot than from outside the number. CAB had a big gain on a deep shot early, but he had no separation and simply made a great adjustment and catch. The other possibility is guys were getting open and Morgan wasn't seeing them. I was really disappointed in Morgan's play tonight after hearing what a fantastic offseason he had. He is still very bad at feeling pressure and also still has the habbit of scrambling out of the pocket and creating pressure that wasn't there. He had the one bad interception in garbage time, but in the first half he threw 2 or 3 balls that he was lucky were not picked. If you remember from last season, there was almost always a pick or a ball that should have been picked early in almost every game..and for the most part Tanner would be on point after that. The offensive line broke down in pass protection a lot late in the game and I was worried about the hits Tanner was taking especially since the game was out of reach.

I go back to how this team played against South Dakota to open last year and if we had played Michigan that night we would have been absolutely crushed. If anyone would have said we'd be in the CFP conversation and have to absolutely choke to miss the Rose Bowl in November, we all would have laughed. I am not saying history will repeat itself, just that I am not willing to write any possiblity off yet.

One final thought: For me, this result sucks because I really want validation that I can believe in this program. College GameDay at home against a helmet school in prime time was a perfect opportunity for Minnesota to show it was for real and last year was not just an aberration. I personally still have that fear that we will look back at '19-'20 and curse laying an egg in Iowa City for decades as we go back to being 8-4 in a "good" year. Losing tonight, especially in this manner, just amplifies that fear whether it is warranted or not.
Don't remember them playing the Coyotes last year.

With that many players on the team, how can you not find an athlete(Green?) who can punt more than 15 yards or do more than squib kick? ! game- think we will learn a lot from it and improve as year goes along.

With that many players on the team, how can you not find an athlete(Green?) who can punt more than 15 yards or do more than squib kick?...

I guess the storyline in The Waterboy was not a re-enactment of real events after all...

1603631834170.png

So did our kicking unit have COVID or not? I've heard yes and no.

I think the two takeaways I had from this game were that 1) it's hard to win when you don't have a punter 2) it's hard to win when you don't have someone that can't kick more than 30 yards.

This is going to be an odd year and getting upset about the result of this game would be ridiculous given the circumstances.

At least 14 Michigan points were due to the kicking game. If Minnesota isn't down two scores headed into the second half then things probably play out a little differently.

Hopefully some of those guys come back next week, but taking this result seriously is probably not a great idea.
Kicking game had a negative impact. However when the defense can’t stop even one drive the kicking game failures really doesn’t matter

The concerns about the defense were justified. Gotta plug some of those holes or it could be a forgettable season.

I have a hard time believing that their is a complete lack of talent on defense. Even fast athletic guys will look slow if they are getting out of position and not recognizing things quickly and accurately.

I have a hard time believing that their is a complete lack of talent on defense. Even fast athletic guys will look slow if they are getting out of position and not recognizing things quickly and accurately.
I mean most of the defensive players were contributors to a decent defense last year.

Whelp. That was a bit ugly. Missing a lot of players so can't be entirely unexpected. On offense we moved the ball well. O line guys we had are clearly road graders but need to improve on pass pritection. Defense was out of position, out of sync, and took bad angles all night. Despite that if the d had played as disciplined as normal this game is likely still a 50/50 game. Score didn't reflect it at the end but we were in it until late. Tanner missed a few reads but other than that needs a little better protection so he can be more consistent. Maybe a few other things play into that as well but oh well. On to Maryland. Go Gophers!

I like Sori-Marin. Tough task for a true freshman in Lindenberg. We just don’t have the benefit of playing an SDSU this year unfortunately to get things fine-tuned.

Sori-Marin is a complete liability.

He was either out of position, or a step behind the entire game. Michigans OC consistently picked on him in both the run and pass game

I expect our defense will improve and other than wisconsin feel good about our chances in our remaining games.
Could end up playing Michigan again week 9 which would be less than ideal.

Last edited:

I expect our defense will improve and other than wisconsin feel good about our chances in our remaining games.
Could end up playing Michigan again week 9 which would be less than ideal.
You watched that game and are worried about playing Michigan again? I’m hoping we can eke out a win vs Maryland.

You watched that game and are worried about playing Michigan again? I’m hoping we can eke out a win vs Maryland.

I can certainly understand your sentiment. Just feel our staff has earned the benefit of the doubt regarding getting the team to whete they need to be. Outside of Wisconsin our schedule is pretty easy as well.

I can certainly understand your sentiment. Just feel our staff has earned the benefit of the doubt regarding getting the team to whete they need to be. Outside of Wisconsin our schedule is pretty easy as well.
Pride goeth before the fall ...

To anyone who watched most closely than I, did Donald Willis or James Gordon IV play at LB last night? If yes, how did they look?

Contain guys were getting sucked into the middle too easily on fakes (probably because we got gashed up the middle a couple of times early) and no penetration from the DTs. Besides all the NFL draftees we lost in defense, I think the absence of Winston D and Renner really showed. I like our DBs in pass coverage, but they didn’t look like much of a last line of defense when the front seven broke down. This looked to be a very talented Michigan team with a more inventive, diverse offense than in prior years. Maybe we bounce back nicely next week. For me next week (not this past week) will be the true indication of what kind of season to expect from our young Defense.

for people saying "it was the first game of the season," - well, it was the 1st game of the season for Michigan, too.

For me, what it says is that the overall talent level on MN is not at a point where they can overcome adversity.

during the course of a season, you're going to have injuries. back-ups are going to have to play. and if you want to be a good team - a team that matters - you cannot have a huge drop-off from the starters to the backups.

Depth needs to improve at multiple positions, including OL, DL and LB.

Yes, the recruiting has improved under Fleck - but Saturday night, it was pretty clear that one team had a clear advantage in athletic ability - and that team was not MN. And Michigan lost a lot of guys to the NFL off last year's team - more than the Gophers - but they still found replacements who were at least adequate or better than adequate.

Maybe the most troubling factor - it's one thing to get beat physically. (guy is in the right position but doesn't make the play). It's something different to make mental mistakes (missed assignments, out of position). The Gophers were doing both - getting beat physically and making mental mistakes. that's a bad combination.

Depth needs to improve at multiple positions, including OL, DL and LB.
PJ talked about this post game. Still feels they're looking more at 2021 to build that depth. It is only year 4 and still establishing consistent pipeline. We're getting there looking at the recruiting. Doesn't seem realistic to expect for us to be there yet.

Michigan has been a national Top 15-20 team for a while and are where we're trying to get to. I know I heard Michigan has 2 5-stars on their roster and 40+ 4-stars. I think we have something like 7 4-stars, and 2 of those guys (Faalele and Dunlap) were not on the field last night. That really requires extraordinary coaching to close that gap in year 4, specifically in game 1 against Michigan.

Did Terell Smith play at all? Who was playing the nickel? I wasn’t paying close enough attention.

So did our kicking unit have COVID or not? I've heard yes and no.

Michael Lantz, Mark Crawford and Grant Ryerse were all out for COVID-related reasons, and Brock Walker was just coming off sports hernia surgery, so he could only kick it so far, hence the short kickoffs.

It's my understanding that Lantz and Ryerse dressed, but didn't play. They may have gotten past the 14-day quarantine and were in the 7-day heart-related (myocarditis) window and haven't practiced much, so they couldn't play. Hopefully they're back for Maryland.

I think Depth is major and recruiting needs to continue. In reality we probably will be looking at 2023 and beyond where we have people graduating and can replace them with high end quality players.

you also take away the huge mistakes of the 21 points they got gifted, it’s a much closer game. TM missed opportunity and the penalty all within a few yards of goal like and that’s 14 points missing. The fumble off of kickoff and we obtain that and it’s huge momentum.

good news is we can score a lot of points. Bad news is, we missing a lot of D and just don’t have depth like Michigan yet where guys leave and they have high quality players to replace. We’re not at top 5 of teams in B1G yet due to that reason. I think we sitting in the 6-7 range and moving up into that top 5 echelon and getting more dangerous as years go by now.

Top Bottom