[POST GAME THREAD] Minnesota defeats Michigan 49 - 24

Believe when I say I can feel your pain following the Georgia Southern football team for the past 5 years. I really wanted the Gophers to win this one.

Just remember that on 10/24/2020 the Woverenins had a better offense and defense than the Gophers did. THATS ONE GAME!

**That is one game out of your season & that is not to say that if you played the Wolverines 4 games into the season the Gophers could not have won. Just one game out of the others in your season.

*You have the coaching staff that CAN correct the mistakes from yesterday. Many say that a team makes the most progress between the first and second games & thats what I'm hoping for the Gophers football team.

GSUsTALON

Clearly our D isn't as talented as last year. Not hard to understand when you have 4 guys drafted. Still, they will play better than they did last night. Will they be as good as last year? Likely not. Still, much better than what we saw last night.

Clearly our D isn't as talented as last year. Not hard to understand when you have 4 guys drafted. Still, they will play better than they did last night. Will they be as good as last year? Likely not. Still, much better than what we saw last night.

Like I said Spoofin & Gophergrandpa in the post above -

*You have the coaching staff that CAN correct the mistakes from yesterday. Many say that a team makes the most progress between the first and second games & that's what I'm hoping for the Gophers football team.

Keep the positive vibes up for the board , team and fans!

GSUsTALON

Agreed they will improve. Tons of young guys got a baptism by fire last night and they'll improve with experience.

Time to focus on Maryland - it's a short week. let's see how we play - Friday night.

Good:
1.) Running back position is stacked with a OL that can create holes against tough competition.
2.) Bateman is still a beast and Morgan can still throw a good ball.
3.) TE Room looks good
4.) Their are pieces to work with on defense, but only showed glimpses.

Bad:
1.) Pass blocking was average at best.
2.) Defensive athleticism did not make up for being out of position, plus Michigan athletes made them look slow at time.
3.) WR did not get enough separation or show the ability to break loose against the physicality of the MI corners - something they need to improve if we are going to beat Wisconsin.

Ugly:
1.) Communication was poor on defense and to many times we were out of position.
2.) special teams, special teams, special teams.
3.) Coaching - While decision to fake punt was awful - to a degree - I was not impressed that our defense had no response to running around the end and a QB with speed. It reminded me of our defense in Fleck's 1st year and a half. I understand our lack of experience, but there were way to many missed assignments. Coaches did not get players ready to play.

I love the Golden Gophers and think we are moving in the right direction. This was a great reminder of the difference of what 4 and 5 star recruits at every position every year can mean. You give Fleck a few games to get our kids prepared for this and i think it is a radically different game. However, this is what it is and it is a program defining moment. I have no doubt Fleck will get things done in the next few weeks and from there we get another defining moment with Iowa.

No doubt the average star rating for Michigan players is higher than the Gophers, but some of Michigan's better players are 3 stars. Also, one of the few 5 stars, Dax Hill, had an injury in the first quarter and did not return. Having said that, I think Minnesota has a bright future and might possibly win every other regular season game except Wisconsin. The kicking woes created problems, and this Michigan offense is the best I've seen in years. Small sample size, yes, but the Oline is reloaded, the RBs and WRs have a ton of talent, and Milton, even for a first start, is a huge improvement over Patterson, and the young OC, in his second year is really coming into his own.

I did not think we would look that bad tonight. Michigan's defense looked really good. We looked very slow on offense and defense.
Michigan's athleticism certainly stood out tonight.

Top Bottom