Post-Game Thread (Michigan)

Andre Hollins isn't who we thought he was.

THEY-ARENT-WHO-WE-THOUGHT-THEY-WERE.jpg

But I do think it is the worst loss of the season for Minnesota. It was a big home game against a team that could well make the NCAA tourney, a game that was right there for the Gophers to win and they didn't win. You don't get that many chances to get Ws against tourney teams at home where you're in it with a chance to win at the end & you've got to make the most of those chances.

Spot on. This one was there for the taking, and I think the loss becames especially painful considering Robinson got hurt and the Gophers still couldn't win. What I learned last night is simple. The Gophers are going to struggle in the Big Ten if their best players don't play well. If Austin and Andre struggle, more than likely we're not going to win. That shouldn't surprise anyone.

It's a long season. Guys have off games. Unfortunately, both our best players weren't at their best last night. Move on, get the next one. Purdue won't be any easier, but it's another game the Gophers should have every opportunity to win.

Gophers RPI drops from #28 to #57

Andre just doesn't seem to have his head in the game. He seems off in never-never land. Or is it Rachel-land?

I admit - I'm in Rachel-land, and I don't even date her.

Andre looked like he was on his way to first-team all conference, and then he bonked heads with Joey. Not that he sustained an injury there, but it's been like night and day. The dude just isn't right. He doesn't look like a star player at all. He missed three free throws in one game. When he goes to the basket he shies away from contact, which is exactly what his coach is telling him not to do.

I agree with those who say this board is hilarious after a loss. I'm as bitterly disappointed as anyone, but the sky isn't falling. It's a loss that would have been a win if you make the free throws and the wide open field goals you normally make. In a way, that bodes well. You play arguably your worst overall game of the season, and you're still in a game against a good opponent. I had said this one was going to be nip and tuck, like the FSU game. The Gophers just played better against FSU. And they'll play better again, hopefully soon.

Just because you think someone is a better scoring option doesn't mean he should start. Coach has note on numerous occasions, you have to be able to D up. As poorly as Austin played at times, he still had at least 4 steals.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

First and foremost, get a grip people. this is one game. yes it's one we should've won but to proclaim Andre is disinterested and not in the game is reaching. You can see that he's maybe TOO into the game with how he's forcing it and pressing (I mean for christ's sake he looked like he wanted to punch himself when he missed his 3rd FT), Austin is a better shooter than he is showing and is in a slump. I think it's safe to say that those 2 guys, being the veterans on our team that have played big for us in the past, are trying to press too much. You see them taking some long range (Austin big time) or highly contested shots in the paint (Andre) when they think the team needs it. This will come around. There is too much talent there for it not to.
Second, this team is going to be a tough out for anyone if we play with this much defensive intensity and passion game in and out. Yeah we make some mistakes and get out-athleted at times, but damnit this team will compete with anyone. in case you have forgotten, this same team did ride with Cuse right to the end and these guys are only going to get better as they grow in Pitino's system.
Third, Pitino is the pushing the right buttons with the players out there. They play hard for him and his intensity gets them going. Yes he makes some personnel mistakes from time to time, but as a young coach that is to be expected.
Finally, the sky is not falling. This team is still growing and will experience growing pains like we saw tonight. We don't have anywhere near the talent that Michigan has on it's roster (if you believe the recruiting experts anyways) and this team showed the ability to overcome some adversity (the flopping from Mich was pretty brutal for about a 3 minute stretch and they got every call when they flopped). We have the ability on our roster to play with anyone as well as lose to anyone, because like was discussed here earlier this year, we have the one asset that can kill your or destroy any team and that's the deep ball. we shot 26% from 3 tonight and that killed us. we shoot our 35% (from our season average) and that correlates to about 2 more 3's and we win this game. Tonight we died with the 3 and we have to accept that's going to happen with this team.
This game is what it is. Yeah it was extremely frustrating to see a game that was right there for the taking slip away, but I for one will choose to take the positives out of this and know better nights are coming for this team.

+1 Someone who gets it.

The Gophers are going to struggle in the Big Ten if their best players don't play well. If Austin and Andre struggle, more than likely we're not going to win. That shouldn't surprise anyone.

Gophers RPI drops from #28 to #57

Frankly, thats why I don't understand all of the sky is falling BS.... Andre and Austin play like poop and we will lose to Dartmouth....

Had to miss viewing the game last night. Just checked the ESPN box score. 4 of the starters went a combined 8 for 36? Wow! Oh man.

Here's to hoping they clean things up and get that W against Purdue.

The problem is the Gophers don't have a low post threat. They only really have one competent big man and he's a rebounder/defender type. Without that you're basically counting on dribble penetration and jump shooting, and when playing teams that are bigger and/or more athletic getting to the rim becomes more difficult. The Gophers take 28.5% of their shots at the rim, and the national average is 38.3% - that's huge.

They're going to win at least one game they probably shouldn't when they get scorching hot from the outside, but there will be games like last night too.

The problem is the Gophers don't have a low post threat. They only really have one competent big man and he's a rebounder/defender type. Without that you're basically counting on dribble penetration and jump shooting, and when playing teams that are bigger and/or more athletic getting to the rim becomes more difficult. The Gophers take 28.5% of their shots at the rim, and the national average is 38.3% - that's huge.

They're going to win at least one game they probably shouldn't when they get scorching hot from the outside, but there will be games like last night too.

This is correct. That game last night just reinforced what we already knew. If we're cold from the outside, and especially if Andre and Austin both have bad nights the same night, we can lose to a lot of teams, and especially to a very talented and tough team like Michigan. Frankly, I was actually encouraged that we played so tough with Andre and Austin both having such poor games. We hung around through sheer grit. That grit will take us a long way, especially when our best players are playing better.

Where do you get those stats? I have to think last night that shot percentage at the rim was much higher.

Good blog today. I like your 10 reasons.

Where do you get those stats? I have to think last night that shot percentage at the rim was much higher.

hoop-math.com

But they only keep season totals. In order to get a single game results you'd have to go through the play-by-play yourself, as far as I know.

Bobby Jackson sighting

It was great to see Bobby Jackson in the house last night. A lotta' former Gophers were sitting right behind the Gopher bench. Bobby, Jamal Abu Shamala, Damian Johnson, Al Nolen, although I'm guessing Bobby J was there in a Timberwolves capacity.

I hope that's an emphasis of Pitino's, get former players to feel like they're still part of the program. That really seems to work at places like North Carolina, Michigan State, etc., where it's emphasized.

Love the Austin shouldn't start babble. Some of you are in need of some serious basketball schooling if you think Austin is the problem. Jeez Louise.

To be clear, Austin's offense WAS a big part of the problem last night. But, he does so many other things well that he could miss every shot he takes for the rest of the year and still deserve to start

I haven't read this entire thread. Did someone really suggest Austin shouldn't start, or his minutes should get chopped down?

That's funny.

I haven't read this entire thread. Did someone really suggest Austin shouldn't start, or his minutes should get chopped down?

That's funny.

It started with people suggesting Malik should have played more down the stretch. Then the discussion moved to the starting line up and whether we should start Malik. Then it became a question of who would Malik replace in the starting lineup. The two most obvious answers were Austin and Oto (with Austin playing PF in a 4 guard line up).

It started with people suggesting Malik should have played more down the stretch. Then the discussion moved to the starting line up and whether we should start Malik. Then it became a question of who would Malik replace in the starting lineup. The two most obvious answers were Austin and Oto (with Austin playing PF in a 4 guard line up).

Thanks. Remind me to activate my "moron alert" whenever someone suggests Austin Hollins shouldn't be a starter.

1) It was an entertaining, competitive game.
2) I don't see any reason why Malik Smith shouldn't start in place of Austin next game. He has earned it, and Austin hasn't proved he wants it.
3) Dre Mathieu is absolutely our leader.
4) How many subpar games can Andre keep having before he gets back in a groove?
5) The fact of the matter is: we lost to Michigan at home without Glen Robinson III and Mitch McGary. Not a good loss.
6) Beside's EE's foul trouble, our two centers actually played well.
With that said... It doesn't break our season, but the next 2 games are must wins.

Matheiu, EE, and Malik are clearly our best players. I'm sick of watching Dre and Austin no show game after game.

Andre and Austin 1 for 11 from the arch. Austin 1-9 shooting and two turnovers. With Robinson out this should have
been a game we win. JMO, but I'll be happy when all of Tubby ' s recruits are purged out of the system.

Austin seems to have regressed to the point that he is now a smaller version for Rodney Williams. The only time he gets a basket is when someone throws him an oop. His defense and rebounding is solid, but his offense is brutal. He has even had some really ugly turnovers reminiscent of Rodney last year.

In response to who should be out of the starting lineup for Malik Smith:
You may disagree, but I think Austin. In our offense, 3-point shooting is critical, and Austin isn't making threes.

That's funny.

This is how it all started...

Austin is my favorite Gopher player, so he should definitely start (not because he is my favorite, but because of all of the good things he does that makes him my favorite). However, 1 of 9 is horrendous. So is Oto's 1 of 7. I want to be excited about Oto this year, but he is going to have to show something in games against quality B1G competition before I'm sold.

Austin had a bad game thats for sure. But he is the type of player who will respond to those types of games. I feel sorry for Purdue on Sunday. On another note, Malik played very well. He recognized that everytine he had the ball, Michigan defenders were going to be right on him and he drove it to the basket and created for other people. Deandre proved he could play in the Big Ten, but he needs to be more efficient. Once he learns when to score and when to pass, he will be deadly. Andre had a good first half, but the second half was a different story. He made questionable decisions in the second half.

All in all, we shot it terribly and our offense was terrible in the second half, but we only lost by 3. You can see that Michigans non conference schedule helped them and our hurt us. Michigan played some good teams to the wire, while we either won by double digits or lost by double digits. Next two are a must win if we want to make the dance.

On breaks when Austin stops and shoots the 3 .. If he makes one, or one of two, keep shooting from 3. If he misses two in a row, I'd like to see him take it to the rim instead. At least he'll probably draw a foul.

I still don't get the defense. Chasing ball handlers around screens with no hedging is just I don't know what. If it was by design then somebody smarter than me is going to have to explain it to me because I don't get it. If it wasn't, then somebody smarter than me is going to have to explain it to me.

Top Bottom