[POST GAME THREAD] Maryland defeats Minnesota 45 - 44

Hollinsanity

Reaction score
What’d you think Gopherhole?

(Sorry for the typo last week)

Why kick there when you go on D first next OT, offense has been dead for over a quarter, and you don't have a capable kicker? Sure he should make that, but can't be counted on from 30+ yards

This sucks so hard. I'm so bummed. Guess I'll go back to watching 2019 highlights...

Will be chasing those feelings forever possibly...

Too many Condensed sets. We're at our best in more 3WR sets.

Seriously, who the Gophers gonna beat this year? Maryland scored 3 points against Northwestern who isn't good.

I don’t even blame the kicker..the offense Wes so bad in the fourth quarter. There is no reason you didn’t score at least one more touch down and hold the ball for 7-8 minutes...instead you went 3-0 three times in a row and took almost no time off the clock.

From 10 Wins to 0 wins in one season?

Where to begin? This was an embarrassment. There's no two ways about it. One of the worst losses I've witnessed in my long fandom -- and that's saying A LOT.
  • The defense is inexcusably bad. No way Maryland puts up anything CLOSE to that many yards the rest of the year. Most MAC teams would hold them under 400.
  • Offense on those last 3 drives of regulation was infuriating. You need your horses to go out and close the game, but instead you turtle up and run into 9-man boxes. Why? So your defense can run back out and blow it. You've got future NFLers at QB and WR (not to mention another very capable WR). Use them in clutch time.
  • No excuse not to go for 2 in OT. EVERY person watching the game knows your D isn't stopping Maryland. Plus you've got your backup kicker coming off surgery in there. Plus Green walked in untouched on the TD. Line up and run the same play. Go home embarrassed, but at least go home 1-1. That was inexcusable.
There's too many things to list. I try not to let this team pi$$ me off after all these years, but I feel like throwing up. That was just too much. I feel bad for the kids because I know they work hard, but this team is just atrocious right now.

There's too many things to list. I try not to let this team pi$$ me off after all these years, but I feel like throwing up. That was just too much. I feel bad for the kids because I know they work hard, but this team is just atrocious right now.

I mean you frame this against PJ saying, "we're not going back to that." Well... that was worse. I mean just awful quality control all over the field. Bad game plan, poor coaching, honestly, a complete lack of fitness / form. So, yes, we're back to that.

One of the worst Gopher performances I have ever seen. This is right up there with TTU.

Seriously, who the Gophers gonna beat this year? Maryland scored 3 points against Northwestern who isn't good.

This isn’t totally fair. While northwestern isn’t good, their defense was #8 in SP+ headed into last week and is now ranked #3. After least week I think many assumed Maryland’s offense was awful, but they had 3 INT‘s so maybe the correct take was that NW’s D is **really** good.

that said, no excuse for 700+ yards. This is the worst set of linebackers I have ever seen, on any team.

How are you guys even talking about the offense or special teams losing this game? This Defense is absolutely horrendous. 674 yards!!

It will go overlooked because of how awful the defense is, but the playcalling in the second half was also a disaster. Run, run, pass, punt. No creativity on the runs either.

And on 3rd/2 with about a minute left we ran into an eight man box. That needs to be an audible to a throw when you have Bateman and CRAB on the outside.

It will go overlooked because of how awful the defense is, but the playcalling in the second half was also a disaster. Run, run, pass, punt. No creativity on the runs either.

And on 3rd/2 with about a minute left we ran into an eight man box. That needs to be an audible to a throw when you have Bateman and CRAB on the outside.
I don't think it'll be overlooked. Sanford has been fired/asked to leave from two of his last three jobs. He doesn't seem like a capable OC, though he may be a fine QB coach. People are already (flamingly) calling for his head.

I don't think it'll be overlooked. Sanford has been fired/asked to leave from two of his last three jobs. He doesn't seem like a capable OC, though he may be a fine QB coach. People are already (flamingly) calling for his head.

It's only flamingly because the defense is the far bigger problem right now. The offense is still putting up points. Defense had maybe 2 good plays all game, and the only play in which the coverage wasn't absolute garbage was a PI in the end zone.

This was a classic Gopher blown game. Anyone with a functional set of eyes could see this meltdown coming. Glen Mason would have been proud of that one.

P.J. and his team showed they truly believe in the Gopher tradition of never being incapable of blowing a game

Congrats P.J.!

100 percent accurate.

It was so obvious.

You play the hand you're dealt. The defense isn't winning any games, it has to be the offense.

And when the other team sells out to stop the run, you pass.

Defense: Historically bad. Man alive it’s like the Wacker era bad. Joe Rossi you are better than this! Tyler Nubin you were so hyped up, please watch more of Antoine to see how a safety should play, you have all the tools! We need help at linebacker. DLine needs to get better push in the run game. Just overall surprised how bad they are.

Offense: Good on the running but not very creative in either game. No balance tonight at all. What happen to the Auburn game coordinator? He hasn’t been here this year, tell him to come back out and play! Mike Sanford you’re better than this!

Coaches: See above, plus PJ has not done so hot either. Why did he not call time out before half? Would have had a minute left and another time out of he makes or misses the kick. Was surprised.

could be a long season. Need them to beat Iowa and Wisky to bring some satisfaction back to an ugly season but I’m not confident with what I have seen so far.

Sigh...I thought with Bateman back they’d be good. Still can be, but boy it sure seems like a very uphill climb.

Absolutely. We kinda knew who we were on Defense going into this game, and we definitely knew at halftime the offense was going to need to continue to be aggressive. I have no idea why you would go into a shell like that. I know it probably won't happen but I think we can start the Sanford rumblings a little bit here....give the job to Simon Full-time.

Offense: Good on the running but not very creative in either game. No balance tonight at all. What happen to the Auburn game coordinator? He hasn’t been here this year, tell him to come back out and play! Mike Sanford you’re better than this!
Simon was the OC for the Auburn game. Getting more interesting to think why they didn't give him the job Full-Time or at least give him the play calling duty.

If Rossi really thought that MSM55 was going to be a top LB in the conference I don't think I can trust that he will right the ship. We could wind up with Simon and Harasymiak as our coordinators by the time we play Wisconsin.

Simon was the OC for the Auburn game. Getting more interesting to think why they didn't give him the job Full-Time or at least give him the play calling duty.
PJ said he wants his OC to also coach the quarterbacks.

They played not to lose in the 4th quarter, Mo was exhausted, but they kept running him. reminded me of the Mason gophers

They played not to lose in the 4th quarter, Mo was exhausted, but they kept running him. reminded me of the Mason gophers
I was reminded of the run run pass punt Childress Vikings

How are you guys even talking about the offense or special teams losing this game? This Defense is absolutely horrendous. 674 yards!!

4th quarter: 1 first down on three possessions. And Maryland's defense is as bad as ours. Terrible offensive play calling. We kept running into 7, 8 and 9 man fronts.

Maryland got whatever they wanted thru the Air. Against the run, the gophers DL and LB simply out of sync, Out of position, floundering, collectively worse than the sum of their parts.

Top Bottom