***-POST GAME THOUGHTS-***

I don't think his number was called once...

Maxx was the target on the pick at the end of the game by the middle linebacker. Other than that I don't remember seeing him, I'm sure he was out there but he was not a factor.

Everything in our offense takes place within ten yards of where the ball is being snapped.

We make the opposing team defend about 3% of the field.

Our pass offense is taking too long to develop.

Maxx was the target on the pick at the end of the game by the middle linebacker. Other than that I don't remember seeing him, I'm sure he was out there but he was not a factor.

It's crazy because I thought he would be a big factor today...

My one take away from this game was how unprepared this team was for the bright lights of Big Ten football. Look, I understand the reasoning behind buying out the UNC game (not looking so big and bad anymore, is it?) and replacing it with another cupcake non-conference game...but the simple fact is that these cupcake early season games are not preparing us for conference play! We looked bewildered when we weren't the bigger, faster, and stronger athletes on the field. Everything about today screamed that our program is all about "small potatoes." We'll scratch out 6 wins, go to a no-name bowl, and that will be it. Until we up the ante with our schedule and our preparation for conference play, we will constantly be a doormat for the conference opponents.

And yes, this is probably an over the top opinion tonight...but I'm feeling very disheartened after today's performance.

My one take away from this game was how unprepared this team was for the bright lights of Big Ten football. Look, I understand the reasoning behind buying out the UNC game (not looking so big and bad anymore, is it?) and replacing it with another cupcake non-conference game...but the simple fact is that these cupcake early season games are not preparing us for conference play! We looked bewildered when we weren't the bigger, faster, and stronger athletes on the field. Everything about today screamed that our program is all about "small potatoes." We'll scratch out 6 wins, go to a no-name bowl, and that will be it. Until we up the ante with our schedule and our preparation for conference play, we will constantly be a doormat for the conference opponents.

And yes, this is probably an over the top opinion tonight...but I'm feeling very disheartened after today's performance.

I agree a bit that your first full house of the year should not be a conference game.

Not really true. Kill's true classes have only been here 1-2 years?
Both Caleb Bak and Christenson came in at the same time as the majority of the offensive lineman that Kill has signed (he signed them too). It's an absolutely true statement.

I have absolutely no problem with walk-ons starting, but its disingenuous at best to suggest this is a product of lack of options. Kill has signed 11 offensive lineman since he got here, 7 of whom are juniors or red-shirt sophmores. If they are getting beat out by walkons who aren't any good, that's on him.

Blaaaahhh...that flippin sucked. The problem is I don't think this team sucks as bad as they showed this week, maybe this was a stark reality check, but I still think there is a chance we can compete with everyone this year. I'm hoping for a glimmer of hope next week, hoping this was a wake up call, hoping we continue to keep our eyes on the goal of getting better. I don't know..drink a beer...fudge..this sucks.

Both Caleb Bak and Christenson came in at the same time as the majority of the offensive lineman that Kill has signed (he signed them too). It's an absolutely true statement.

I have absolutely no problem with walk-ons starting, but its disingenuous at best to suggest this is a product of lack of options. Kill has signed 11 offensive lineman since he got here, 7 of whom are juniors or red-shirt sophmores. If they are getting beat out by walkons who aren't any good, that's on him.
Kill brought in Pirsig, Hayes, Bjorklund, Bush, & Mayes on scholarship. The rest are walk-ons or honoring guys that were already committed to Brewster. Mayes is being redshirted, Bush, Pirsig, & Bjorklund are playing or in 2deeps.

In the past, we matched up well with physical teams.

Now we struggle with them.

Missouri State only scored twice as many points as us against Iowa, and we were at home so you can understand why Missouri State scored more points than we did. Everyone knows it's tougher for an offense at home than on the road.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk - now Free

I think we found out today why Kill has been saying not to expect a big turnaround in year 3 like his previous jobs. This team still has a long ways to go. He knows it, and now so do the fans.

I really think the foundation is there, the team is still very young and for the most part is much more disciplined than teams in the past. But there are still some glaring issues.

1. This team just doesn't have any playmakers, especially on offense. There is just no speed at RB or WR. Team speed has gotten better on defense under Kill, but still has a long ways to go on offense. A good RB can make an O-line look better than it really is. A good WR can make a QB look better than he is - ala Decker. The Gophers have neither right now, which is why they can't score.

2. Size wise this team just does not pass the eye test. You watch the Gophers play, and then watch a game like Wisconsin vs. Ohio State, or an SEC game, or an upper level ACC or PAC 12 game. Those teams look like NFL teams compared to the Gophers. Maybe part of this is due to uniforms, or the fact that the Gophers are playing so many young players who haven't filled out, but they just don't pass the eye test.

Today was a big disappointment and like many of you I was expecting a much closer game. We all thought our program was comparable to, or even better than Iowas. But even for what should be a mediocre B1G team, it was obvious that they are still bigger and stronger in the trenches, and faster/more talented at the skill positions than the Gophers. I'm still optimistic about the future under Kill and think we are headed in the right direction, but he has to be able to recruit more playmakers. He deserves 4-5 years to do this, but at that point if nothing changes, then he'll join the ever growing line of coaches who failed to turn this program around.

I thought it was fairly obvious that the first pick was on Goodger. He found a spot and stopped, Nelson started his throw, then inexplicably Drew slid another step or two to where he could high five Cobb??

And why did Cobb go alligator arms on that one too. I rewound it a couple of times, and it looked to me like he could have snatched that ball.

Today was a big disappointment and like many of you I was expecting a much closer game. We all thought our program was comparable to, or even better than Iowas. But even for what should be a mediocre B1G team, it was obvious that they are still bigger and stronger in the trenches, and faster/more talented at the skill positions than the Gophers. I'm still optimistic about the future under Kill and think we are headed in the right direction, but he has to be able to recruit more playmakers. He deserves 4-5 years to do this, but at that point if nothing changes, then he'll join the ever growing line of coaches who failed to turn this program around.

These guys could easily go 0-8 in the B10. I personally think they will beat Indiana or Penn State. Kill will get his fourth year next year, but I dont see anything above marginal improvement which is not even close to a .500 conference record. Unless he recruits 10 times better, he will be sent packing year 5.

The Gophers got schooled yesterday. To be B1G caliber, the Gophers are one to two years away provided they get stronger and they recruited well.

This is where the argument against scheduling too many cupcakes may hold some credence. If you are a pugilist, do you want sparring partners that are softies or do you want ones that are tough that will make you stronger?

Although massively disappointed with the way things went yesterday, I'm not willing to dismiss the rest of the season. So ... Cup 1/4 full, here are the positives IMHO moving forward (in no particular order):

1) Pass defense - I think Eric Murray is the real deal in coverage. With Vereen and Wells both banged up I thought they would be able to go deep on us and feared a basketball score but we didn't crumble in the secondary (massive credit to Vereen and Wells for both coming back into the game with significant knocks). The bulk of their pass yards came on a very well executed WR screen and an unmarked full back coming out of the backfield. Earlier in the season I thought our secondary would keep us in games and I still feel that is true. Despite being totally outplayed we were only one accurate deep ball away from making it a one possession game in the fourth.

2) Damien Wilson - I thought he made some good plays. The MLB position was my biggest concern mid-point last season when projecting towards this campaign. Although not knocking him off his feet, he stopped Weismann dead in his tracks a couple of times. Thought we were sealed to the inside too often and too easily when they ran outside their tackles but at least we weren't blasted up the middle.

3) WR - Engel emerged and Wolitarski (spelling?) looked to me to have an acceleration burst when he changed direction in his patterns. I'm not saying he is Wes Welker but I think he will find ways to consistently get open as his career develops and will become a goto receiver. If D Jones can emerge as a deep threat as projected and Eric Carter performs in the slot, I think we will look back at last years' recruiting class as a stellar one at WR. The coaches will be working on Nelson's technique and decision making when he is pressured - if he can move up in the pocket, keep his composure and go through his progressions our passing game will improve.

4) Punting and kick coverage. Although Mortell hasn't shown the accuracy to pin them inside their 20, he boomed a couple when we were deep inside our 20 and our coverage got down field quick enough to prevent the big return. I think our kickoff coverage has looked solid also - the only one they nearly broke was when M Jones held the ball and arrived late to his assigned position as a result.

5) Kirkwood - although not 100%, good to see him in the rotation 2nd half. I think he has good vision for the gap and has it in him to lead a B1G caliber ground game even if our OL can't always get a surge off the ball.

6) Unit match ups. As other posters have already mentioned, they matched up well against us. I was worried about this all week. I was begrudgingly impressed with their OL and their LBs. Some of the other B1G teams are not not as strong in those areas and we will get more success on the ground both sides of the ball.

Season prognosis - yesterday was a day when I feel we under performed while our opponents played to their full potential. With the possible exception of Ohio State, I think all of the other B1G teams have shown they can have off days and I wouldn't totally dismiss the prospect of a win against any of them if we can execute and get an early lead.

Long term Prognosis - if it comes to it, I will be happy with 6 win regular seasons for the next few years. No matter the calibre of the Bowl games, the extra practices are vital. If we win the Bowl games I will see seasons as real successes. Bearing in mind, as a recent fan, my first two seasons were both 3-9, I am willing to wait to at least year 6 or 7 of Coach Kill for a major breakout. I am also willing to support all of his co-ordinators and assistants even if units under-perform because I think it is the consistency of the team coaching philosophy that coach kill has developed that gives the best chance of turning the program around.

Bring on the Brown Jug!

Does any of this make us miss Adam Weber?! :)

Never thought Weber was as bad as many claimed he was. I think he was the victim of too many OC's and playbooks. Think he would have been phenomenal had Brewster stuck with one offense all 4 years.

And why did Cobb go alligator arms on that one too. I rewound it a couple of times, and it looked to me like he could have snatched that ball.

It looked to me like Cobb went to catch it and then pulled back thinking it was for Googer.

My question, why were their routes so close to each other? A receiver should never have to wonder if a ball is intended for him or the guy a foot away from him.

The Gophers got schooled yesterday. To be B1G caliber, the Gophers are one to two years away provided they get stronger and they recruited well. This is where the argument against scheduling too many cupcakes may hold some credence. If you are a pugilist, do you want sparring partners that are softies or do you want ones that are tough that will make you stronger?

I think lower level BCS opponents is the way to go. If we schedule Alabama, we won't get better/stronger. Just worked, hurt and demoralized.

Just saying, I think there is a bit of a happy medium. You want to play teams slightly better than you to improve.

If I was training to be a boxer, I wouldn't might Floyd as a prep fight.

I think we found out today why Kill has been saying not to expect a big turnaround in year 3 like his previous jobs. This team still has a long ways to go. He knows it, and now so do the fans.

I really think the foundation is there, the team is still very young and for the most part is much more disciplined than teams in the past. But there are still some glaring issues.

1. This team just doesn't have any playmakers, especially on offense. There is just no speed at RB or WR. Team speed has gotten better on defense under Kill, but still has a long ways to go on offense. A good RB can make an O-line look better than it really is. A good WR can make a QB look better than he is - ala Decker. The Gophers have neither right now, which is why they can't score.

2. Size wise this team just does not pass the eye test. You watch the Gophers play, and then watch a game like Wisconsin vs. Ohio State, or an SEC game, or an upper level ACC or PAC 12 game. Those teams look like NFL teams compared to the Gophers. Maybe part of this is due to uniforms, or the fact that the Gophers are playing so many young players who haven't filled out, but they just don't pass the eye test.

Our OL and DL is not young by any measurement so youth has nothing to do with the performance particularly of the OL.

Our OL and DL is not young by any measurement so youth has nothing to do with the performance particularly of the OL.

This is both untrue and maybe the dumbest thing written in this thread....and that is saying something. You know nothing about offensive line play, development and performance and what goes into it.

The VAST majority of top performing O-lineman are 3rd, 4th & 5th year players. Kids come out of high school at 6-4 250 and by their 3rd year are 6-6 320 and by their 5th year are 6-7 320 and strong as an ox with much improved technique.

It is so rare for a O-lineman to come out of high school with the size, strength and technique to compete at the highest level in their first couple of years.

For further proof, feel free to look at the top 5 rushing teams from each of the last 10 years (50 teams - 250 lineman) and count how many starting offensive linemen on those teams weren't 3rd, 4th of 5th year players. Then look and see how many of those teams returned at least 4 starters from the previous year.

Time matters to big men in the trenches.

I agree on the DL, but the OL starts 1 freshman, 2 sophomores and no seniors. That's young by B1G standards.

Watched part of the NIU game yesterday throttling Purdue. Do we not have run the same offense essentially? I saw a lot of designed roll outs for short yardage but effective throws. Assuming this spreads the field and opens up the run game. Why don't we see our offense run these types of plays more? They seem high percentage.

Time matters to big men in the trenches.

About the first thing I said to my wife after sitting down at the game yesterday and watching warmups was that the we look like a HS team playing a college team. Iowa looks bigger than any team we played to date, which makes me pretty nervous about the rest of the Big Ten this year.

Top Bottom