***POST-GAME THOUGHTS THREAD***

thailleagle

Reaction score
Ok, we're 5-2 & right now we've beaten someone who was pretty much marked as an "L" on a lot of people's predictions.

*EXTREMELY* pleased with the Defense today... Offense sputtered at times but Nelson clearly displayed some leadership today. Granted that NW was without it's top 2 players on Offense but we looked solid today. My only complaint is our 2 minute Offense, very shakey...

Outside of that this was just a very solid football game even if it seems the Ref's were heavily favoring NW...

Minnesota 5-2 (1-2), Northwestern 4-3 (0-3)

This should make for a much cheerier Gopher Hole, no more 0-8 gloom.

This cleaned up the mess from the Iowa loss in regards to how most projected. 1-2 was pretty much where most expected. Defense was real nice, made plays, created points again, put the offense in good positions to score. The offense...still can't get that consistent pass game, but at least we got a pass TD from a receiver, something we haven't seen much of. Just a real solid win to "steady the ship", so to speak.

Northwestern without Colter and Mark, that's tough for them, they're not deep enough to absorb the loss of two playmakers like that. But considering our injury problems in the past, I'm not gonna feel too badly for them lol.

On to the next one, let's go get that big time home win over Nebraska now!

To think NW was ranked in the Top 20 just 2 weeks ago... crazy how 1 game can change the direction of your Season. I think OSU took everything out of NW...

Nice win in a what has been a tough few weeks for the team. Defense really played well. The offense did enough with Cobb to get the running game going in the 2nd half.

Hopefully Limegrover gives Nelson/Leidner more options in the passing game, I really thought we were effective throwing the ball, and it opened up our running game in the second half. Made our OC look smarter

I was wrong: Northwestern could lose three in a row. But remember, Colter was not playing - different outcome with him healthy. Nelson 8 for 11 - very promising because Gophers have to have a better passing game to win against any of the remaining five. Go with the QB who has the hot hand. Hageman great today & defense improved as game went on.

Great to get the win today. Northwestern was clearly missing those guys on offense but injuries are part of the game and the defense played very well against the guys they did have. Most important thing is we took care of the ball against a defense that is very good at forcing turnovers and managed to get 3 of our own as well.

Overall the only bad things were a couple of stupid penalties and the clock management before the half. Other than that it was a clean game and a nice win for the squad. Posted before the game that it seemed like there were a number of factors working in our favor heading into this one and it certainly played out that way.

Now we get to see if Kill's appearance in the press box means he is coming back or if he will stay on leave. Oh and there is that whole QB controversy thing... :cool02:

Great win! I'm so pumped after that. But I'm not sure anyone has mentioned how horriblely Maxx Williams played. If he hadn't dropped two passes the game would have been a lot better.

I thought we needed to get 7 wins to be able to say the the program is making the needed progress.

Win all of the non-conference games. Check!

Win one of the next three games. (Iowa-Mich.-NW) Check

Win one of the next two games. (Neb.-Ind.) Doable

Win one of the last three games. (Penn S.-Wisc.-MSU) Doable

I don't care where the wins come from. Just get at least two more.

I can't wait for the "Claeys > Kill" threads!

Great win! I'm so pumped after that. But I'm not sure anyone has mentioned how horriblely Maxx Williams played. If he hadn't dropped two passes the game would have been a lot better.

I didn't see him drop any. I saw some passes thrown too high.

We are out of the division cellar. Let's keep it that way

He was overthrown. He should have had one but my god really?

He was overthrown. He should have had one but my god really?

There was one where he looked like he was expecting a hit and simply dropped it. I agree that the first was overthrown, but I would hope that he can pull down the vast majority of the throws like the second one that he dropped.

Let's stop making this win less significant because of Northwestern's injuries. So they had 2 players banged up. We were missing our head coach the last couple weeks. We have players in our secondary hurt. Maybe Nelson still isn't 100%.
You play with the players (and coaches) that are available. A win is a win and a good win is a good win. Congrats Gophers on a big win today. Wish I would have been there.

Hopefully Limegrover gives Nelson/Leidner more options in the passing game, I really thought we were effective throwing the ball, and it opened up our running game in the second half. Made our OC look smarter

I think Leidner looked better than Nelson and should start again next week. While Nelson had better stats, I'd attribute about 95% of it to Limegrover calling better plays when Nelson was in. If Limegrover's play calling had been better on the first few drives, we would've won by three scores.

Call me an idiot if it's been this way all year, but have the jersey's had bricks in the numbers all year? Today was the first time I've noticed it...

Were going to go with the hot hand at QB. When the O is struggling, coaches will make a change. They got their two QB system that had at NIU. Not ideal to rotate, but gotta give to who is slinging the ball best.

A few thoughts:

1. YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. Did Northwestern pay off the refs today or what? A few of those calls were absolutely terrible and were at pivotal plays in the game.

3. Apparently some Gopher fans think Maxx Williams is indeed Superman. Come on guys, the first play of the game should've been caught but the other "drops" were just bad passes.

Call me an idiot if it's been this way all year, but have the jersey's had bricks in the numbers all year? Today was the first time I've noticed it...

Gold ones always did, but yeah didn't notice the whites had em.

I think Leidner looked better than Nelson and should start again next week. While Nelson had better stats, I'd attribute about 95% of it to Limegrover calling better plays when Nelson was in. If Limegrover's play calling had been better on the first few drives, we would've won by three scores.

Stick to your stupid, sarcastic posts, rather than just your stupid ones. Limegrover called a pass for Leidner and he had Williams wide open and overthrew him by five yards. Leidner can't read the D and pass - they have to simplify the offense for him. They open it up for Nelson because he can read the D, can throw, and he is also faster and quicker than Leidner. Nelson has a ton more upside than Leidner.

Nelson is our guy at starting QB. Hands down.

Go home, you're drunk. Retarded post.

The calls were absolutely awful. Name just one game we've won with calls going against like that...and the timing!!! Great win.

Top Bottom