Post game Pitino - Younger guys are more vocal, have been shooting extra FT's,

GopherLady

Reaction score
McBrayer has a great upside.

Since it's a late game, we didn't get Painter in the media room, here are Pitino's comments. I'm either slower, or he was talking faster today - so as always, these are not verbatim.

• Battled, fought, made some good plays. Seeing growth in Dupree, in Nate Mason, Joey had a tough assignment. I think we out scored them in the paint pretty good. They did some good things, but we need to find how to close game. We have to get their spirit up.
• We’re shooting extra FT’s in practice, but you can’t simulate the game, it’s definitely mental.
• Murph missed 2 when we were down one, Nate missed some, it wasn’t one guy
• We called a timeout because we weren’t getting in. It messed BK a little bit. Carlos double clutched it when he didn’t need to. They played pretty good defense on it, not like last game.
• To have nerves? It’s only natural, they’re young guys.
• Halftime talk – we were good against the bigs, it was a team effort, we were slapping down and shrinking the court. Our defense is getting better, our issues were with the FT line.
• There was a couple of options off of it, Dupree was doing good things, he was a little bit better from the foul line.
• On Edwards – we don’t need to find an answer for him, we don’t’ play them anymore. He was really good. He was up to the challenge. He had a big 3 out of a timeout that we didn’t guard really well. He adds a little bit of a different versatility.
• McBrayer – he’s got great upside, I’ve said it from day 1. Murphy was showing a lot early, and I said I think Dupree can take off because he can go by guys, has length, and can go over the top. He needs to get stronger, got out muscled on a few loose balls, he’s active, I think he’s going to be really good.
• On keeping it fun to come to work - I think it’s difficult, I’m not going to act like it’s not, it’s more difficult as a staff I think. The guys have picked us up a little bit. Yesterday, we had a spirited practice, a late night practice. They are continuing to stay hungry, which is nice to see.
• I think that the young guys, it’s not that Joey and Carlos aren’t leaders, the younger guys are more vocal. You’re hearing Nate and Dupree more. The young guys are leading, it’s nobodies’ team, but Nate is showing more.
• I thought Carlos was a little bit better. I’m excited about where we’re going. I’m repeating myself, but that’s part of the job, right? I want success for these guys, they’re working hard. That’s a good team, we fought.
• On how to close out these games - I think it sounds really simple, free throws.

Thank you as always!

You're welcome. As frustrating as this season is, we are getting better. Also sounds like our leadership is young...so we're not going to be losing a whole lot, but will be gaining more next year.

Pitino can coach and we are getting better...just need more players. We should be in position to win 20 games next year.

Really starting to love this team. I like that Pitino has not been afraid to bring the seniors off the bench and let the young guys start. We are seeing real improvement. Can't wait to see what these guys are able to do next year with reinforcements of Fitzgerald, Lynch, Coffey, Curry, and Hurt.

IALTO! 0-9 Big10 start. Worst team in Gopher history. Lil Ricky has destroyed the program.

Seriously? When is that last time we had a real "Program" here? This could be the start of something good. Its going to take time to build a real "Program." Aren't you the same guy that said Konate was a clown last night when I thought he played really well for once. Go cheer for Iowa then!

IALTO! 0-9 Big10 start. Worst team in Gopher history. Lil Ricky has destroyed the program.

I never, ever thought I would write this, but I think you are actually calmer and more reasonable on the OT board.

As I responded to you the other day, Pitino has struggled. The program has struggled. He can be criticized for coaching, recruiting and roster management mistakes. However, nobody has died. A little perspective would enhance the quality of your life. It's basketball, not cancer.

Thanks Nadine - this game was fun to be at - seeing the team develop before our eyes.

This should be a confidence boost for Konate. He managed his best game against AJ Hammond - and that swipe was a thing of beauty! We all looked at each other amazement!
Pitino has been saying that Konate has been getting it in practice, so as I stated elsewhere, given the state of the team, he really has to be played in hopes he;ll start producing at game time - as he did last night.

Really starting to love this team.

There were a couple of moments last night when I turned to IAM4Goldy and said "the crowd is starting to rally around these guys." You could sense a subtle shift the last few games when we continued to battle back, dove for loose balls, created a few turnovers and saw young guys develop before our eyes. Yes, we're 0-9, we get that, but we are playing better, the young guys are developing, we had a good game plan last night on D and the crowd is reacting positively. I feel better about this team sitting at 0-9 than I did when we were 0-4.

Go Gophers!!

There were a couple of moments last night when I turned to IAM4Goldy and said "the crowd is starting to rally around these guys." You could sense a subtle shift the last few games when we continued to battle back, dove for loose balls, created a few turnovers and saw young guys develop before our eyes. Yes, we're 0-9, we get that, but we are playing better, the young guys are developing, we had a good game plan last night on D and the crowd is reacting positively. I feel better about this team sitting at 0-9 than I did when we were 0-4.

Go Gophers!!

So sad

So true.

This is benig a Gopher fan I guess.... If hope had a stock price, it be going up up up!!!!

Can the croud quit moaning when we miss free throws... It's like the air goes right out of the building. I get why they do it, but it's just sooo apparent. it is funny though, we cheer louder than any fan base for one point shots.

Maximum effort by the boys last night. We just don't have the shooters. What were we, 1-10 from the arch? I thought they did a great job on A.J. Hammond until they got in foul trouble. If we would've had Lynch, we would've won the game. Free throws are killing us. Some of it is mental, but some is also technique ( McBrayer and Murphy)

Hyperbole much?

Having the NCAA hand out the death sentence, that's destroying a program. Having a coach with a bad team, that's fixable. Plus, it's not like the Gophers have been elite over the past 15 years.

If being a hater helps you vent, be my guest. Let off some steam. I simply recognize that you are using hyperbole.

Go Gophers!!

Not disagreeing with you. But I wonder how many times this has been uttered in the history of sports not in relation to getting a better draft pick? Only in Minnesota probably...

Not disagreeing with you. But I wonder how many times this has been uttered in the history of sports not in relation to getting a better draft pick? Only in Minnesota probably...

Maybe Cleveland. But I don't think they've felt better about anything in a long time.

Hyperbole much?

Having the NCAA hand out the death sentence, that's destroying a program. Having a coach with a bad team, that's fixable. Plus, it's not like the Gophers have been elite over the past 15 years.

If being a hater helps you vent, be my guest. Let off some steam. I simply recognize that you are using hyperbole.
X2 There are reasons for hope. A Mason, Mcbrayer, Coffey, Fitzgerald, Lynch starting lineup for one.

Maybe Cleveland. But I don't think they've felt better about anything in a long time.

Brooklyn Dodgers 0-5 vs New York Yankees in World Series action from 1903-1954 (0-7 in overall World Series action through 1954). They weren't called "Dem Bums" for nothing.

There were a couple of moments last night when I turned to IAM4Goldy and said "the crowd is starting to rally around these guys." You could sense a subtle shift the last few games when we continued to battle back, dove for loose balls, created a few turnovers and saw young guys develop before our eyes. Yes, we're 0-9, we get that, but we are playing better, the young guys are developing, we had a good game plan last night on D and the crowd is reacting positively. I feel better about this team sitting at 0-9 than I did when we were 0-4. Go Gophers!!
This. The crowd vs. Purdue was terrific, if you ask me. The team was 0-8 coming in. It wasn't full, but it wasn't empty, by any stretch. And those of us that were there were vocal and supportive (audible groans after free throw attempts notwithstanding!). The players are engaged, hustling their asses off and have NOT checked out. That impresses me, under the circumstances. I'm hanging with them.

Go Gophers!!

Agree with all of this. The crowd was very noticeable on TV. I was concerned after the Nebraska and NW games but now I think the fan base is really seeing how exciting the years to come will be. If Pitino can add another difference-maker in his next recruiting class like he has in each class so far, I think we could be in for a pretty special year 2 years from now.

Top Bottom