Post game Pitino: Needed Amir in a game like this, team didn't defend in 2nd half

GopherLady

Reaction score
and my quick notes from his ESPN 1500 post game interview with Spencer and Mike Grimm. He was talking pretty fast, anyone that listened, feel free to add in anything else:

• I thought we kind of let desperation take the way for us on D. Our game plan was to spread them out, because they deny you so much. We were making 1 paint touch and try to attack. We needed Amir in that type of a game because he creates and makes plays. Give credit to FSU with a lot of length. They make you make plays off the bounce. Where we really screwed up, we just didn't defend in the 2nd half and when we did, we fouled.
• We attacked their press pretty well, they were trapping Murph and forcing him to make a play. If we would have just stuck to the game plan of multiple paint touches, we would have been better off…shouldn't of let the score dictate our play.
• You have to have playmakers in the game, it's not that Akeem (and someone I didn't make out, think Gilbert) can't do that, they're better with a playmaker hitting them. Ahmad needs to stay away from things he's not great at yet. We've got a young team. I liked our fight at the end of the game.
• I told them, more than anything, this is a tough team that you lost to, you didn't execute in the 2nd half, but it's not going to hurt you, it hurts you if you don't rebound. We lost a tough road one, got a lot of young guys, hoping to learn from it.

and my quick notes from his ESPN 1500 post game interview with Spencer and Mike Grimm. He was talking pretty fast, anyone that listened, feel free to add in anything else:

• I thought we kind of let desperation take the way for us on D. Our game plan was to spread them out, because they deny you so much. We were making 1 paint touch and try to attack. We needed Amir in that type of a game because he creates and makes plays. Give credit to FSU with a lot of length. They make you make plays off the bounce. Where we really screwed up, we just didn't defend in the 2nd half and when we did, we fouled.
• We attacked their press pretty well, they were trapping Murph and forcing him to make a play. If we would have just stuck to the game plan of multiple paint touches, we would have been better off…shouldn't of let the score dictate our play.
• You have to have playmakers in the game, it's not that Akeem (and someone I didn't make out, think Gilbert) can't do that, they're better with a playmaker hitting them. Ahmad needs to stay away from things he's not great at yet. We've got a young team. I liked our fight at the end of the game.
• I told them, more than anything, this is a tough team that you lost to, you didn't execute in the 2nd half, but it's not going to hurt you, it hurts you if you don't rebound. We lost a tough road one, got a lot of young guys, hoping to learn from it.

I wonder if this is in reference to his uncontested "one dribble and fall over". Aside from that, I like his spark and three-point shooting potential.

I wonder if this is in reference to his uncontested "one dribble and fall over". Aside from that, I like his spark and three-point shooting potential.

Ahmad has impressed me. He shouldn't do anything other than set screens, box out, shoot threes and defend. But I was one that said he might be a transfer risk as I didn't see him getting minutes. He has been serviceable for 5-10 minutes.

Ahmad has impressed me. He shouldn't do anything other than set screens, box out, shoot threes and defend. But I was one that said he might be a transfer risk as I didn't see him getting minutes. He has been serviceable for 5-10 minutes.

I'm glad he played him exclusively as the 8th man tonight instead of splitting his minutes with Hurt. Hurt simply doesn't look ready yet.

Lack of depth hurt last night. Like I said earlier, Gilbert and Hurt need step up and help the depth. Sounded like Konate added some good minutes.

listened to post game on espn1500. I hate listening to coaches and players yap, but I really enjoy listening to coach pitino.

I would have thought Hurt would have helped this team last night with his length...guess not?

Coffey having to sit with foul trouble was such a killer, he would have been a big help breaking FSU press in 2nd half when we committed multiple TOs. I was also confused why even after he re-entered the game, Pitino still had Murphy playing in the middle in the press break. Seems like an ideal spot to put Coffey who's our most dynamic play maker. Murphy looks like a deer in headlights having to dribble the ball in pressure situations.

Also needed bigger games from McBrayer and Curry - hopefully they get back to playing at a high level against Vandy and get some confidence back to finish out preseason strong.

FSU has the elite frontcourt size to protect the rim well from our slashers and the length on the perimeter to contest the 3 point shot -they obviously aren't a great matchup for us but we need to improve our shooting performance to have a gripe about the loss.

How does FSU compare to teams we'll see in the B1G?

Maybe asked differently, what are the groups of "types of teams" we'll see.

How does FSU compare to teams we'll see in the B1G?

Maybe asked differently, what are the groups of "types of teams" we'll see.

I don't think we'll see anything close to the size of FSU in the conference. I was amazed the Gophers stayed as close as they did with the physical dominance FSU had with size. They also had a couple really quick guards who shredded the defense in the second half and finished. Our inside guys looked like junior high players against theirs and they kept it close. It was a terrible match up and having Coffey play less than 20 minutes because of fouls was a disaster.

Murph had another tough game. He was overmatched inside, but with his experience, I thought he would avoid some of the bad shots he took.

I don't think we'll see anything close to the size of FSU in the conference. I was amazed the Gophers stayed as close as they did with the physical dominance FSU had with size. They also had a couple really quick guards who shredded the defense in the second half and finished. Our inside guys looked like junior high players against theirs and they kept it close. It was a terrible match up and having Coffey play less than 20 minutes because of fouls was a disaster.

Murph had another tough game. He was overmatched inside, but with his experience, I thought he would avoid some of the bad shots he took.

Purdue might be the only team that comes close to FSU in the size department.

Based on Their Ability or Playing Time To Date and Expected Importance To the Team after 6 games, I'd breakdown Game 7 something like this:

Best Performance by a big man: Clearly Bakary was the best I have ever seen him. Very effective! Forget his perceived weaknesses and on this nite he was outstanding off the bench! 14 minutes and 7 points, 6 rebounds, 1 steal, 1 block, and watching 6 of 8 shots go thru the net. And on this night 1 turnover and only 2 fouls. That's awesome! He was not intimidated in any way!!
Contribution Off the bench again: Gilbert was solid. Pretty dependable so far from 3 each opportunity. I thought he played at or above his normal game so far with more minutes on the road. 13 minutes, 50% shooting 7 points
Contribution off the bench again: Springs is our most talented offensive player! Does he show that consistently? No, but he has flashes of smoothness and wow that you don't see from others. 11 points and just solid all around. Hopefully, he gets more comfortable and elevates his performance higher...it is in there.
Mason probably was the starter who played best. He just has to play better. He is better than he is playing. He is our only ball handler versus pressure. He has to make free throws. 2 of 6 just drags down the whole team from an 85% ft shooter. 4 of 11 isn't going to lead or inspire the team from the field either.
Contribution off the bench again: Curry was the leading rebounder at 8. He played well for a first game on the road versus physically superior opponents. Not his best, however. If Mason wasn't so important to the team I'd probably move Curry's contribution up a notch.
The other four starters all had very subpar performances to what they have shown so far. McBrayer was totally out of sorts compared to the first 6 games...not good at all. Lynch maybe is what is and maybe isn't healthy yet so maybe flat line depending on your expectations? Murphy looks nothing like the guy who carried the team at different points last year. 0 of 6 and 3 turnovers is not who he is. Coffey had a bad game for Coffey...still managed to chip in 7 points.
Most disappointing thing to me was coming in with 8 minutes left and four fouls, the only thing he accomplished was not fouling out. He contributed very very little to close things out.

So, pretty exciting actually. We have a bench that can contribute. Our starters all played below their norm and yet we lost by 8 to a fringe top 25 team that is not a great matchup for us. It is clearly in us for our starters to play better!!!

Purdue might be the only team that comes close to FSU in the size department.
Yep, even then when Haas goes to the bench, they move Swanigan over to the 5. They don't have a 7'4 guy named Christ coming off the bench, like FSU does.[emoji1]

FSU has the elite frontcourt size to protect the rim well from our slashers and the length on the perimeter to contest the 3 point shot -they obviously aren't a great matchup for us but we need to improve our shooting performance to have a gripe about the loss.

Perhaps those qualities contributed to our loss/ I do agree it wasn't good enough to win obviously and those numbers won't be.

We won't see another team as big as FSU. Purdue even with Haas and Swanigan don't have 5 deep. Swanigan is built like a tank, but McBrayer shouldn't have to worry about getting a floater sent back at him by a big 7ft4 guy. Its not often a college team can go 5 deep with guys that big, and on top of that have a guard who will be picked in the first round of the NBA draft. Tough matchup, but I'm happy the Gophs got a big test right away.

Only got to watch a few second half minutes, but what I saw was a young team playing their first road game as a unit and crapping the bed big time. I saw a lot of uncharacteristic, unforced mistakes. If the Gophers play a good game, they can beat a FSU, even with their size advantage. The most devastating weakness continues to be free throw shooting, which wilted big time after halftime. Even if you're not making shots, we have guys with the quickness to get to the basket and draw fouls. They need to be willing to do that and then make the free ones.

Top Bottom