Post game Pitino, King, McBrayer & Murphy - Pitino can go into Starbucks again...

GopherLady

Reaction score
instead of going through the drive-thu...

These are all unedited, catching what I can. But you get the jist. Amazing win, happy locker room...

Mark Turgeon:
• I always like to give the other team credit. I'm disappointed with the way we played defensively. We dug ourselves another hole. Our D was much better in the 2nd half. We were a little more efficient, TO's hurt us, unforced, Obviously very disappointing. I've got to figure out a way to get us going again, we're not ourselves, to get us going at the start of the game.
• I thought we executed well to come back and get the lead, and we had 2 possessions in a row. At times I thought we were really poised, and then we weren't, we weren't making the right decisions.
• Early, we made some mistakes, and they made us pay, then they got confident. We lost ourselves. I kept waiting for us to lock in defensively, and we never did in that 1st half.
• Did he overlook the Gophers? We had a ton of respect for MN, you look at their scores, they've been right there. I don't know why we didn't start better. We put a lot into this game.
• Timing of this loss? This is not a lot of fun, I just want us playing better, that's what I'm going to try to get going. Just trying to get us playing better, hopefully that starts Sunday.

Richard Pitino:
• That was fun, obviously. We haven't had this feeling in a while.
• That stretch wasn't fun, they work hard, they play hard, but to beat a really good team is exciting. To beat them the way we beat them, they just made big plays vs. a very very good team.
• I watched Joey King's speech, it made me just want to cry as well. It was awesome, for all the right reasons. Joey grew up wanting to play for MN. He's never had a bad practice or day, he deserves success. It will be freezing cold and he'll be like "isn't it beautiful, Coach?" He's a lifer.
• We were a complete locker room and team. When you have only one senior, they were really happy for Joey.
• It's insane how many close losses we've had in 2 years, maybe I'm a bad coach, I don't think I'm THAT bad. We made plays when we needed to. When I dissect the games, it comes down to one or two close plays.
• On Melo - they have so many great offensive players, we did a good job of shirking the court. I think they have 4 NBA players in the line-up. Trimble is a good player, he was a little off today, hopefully some of that was our defense.
• Muph hit those FT's, Dupree with that steal, Joey with those FT's, they all did good things. Even Gilbert, except for one of the worst fast breaks I've seen in my life, was really good. I'm happy for Joey, 1st and foremost. But I think our youngers guys really see where we can go.
• Murph had a huge one, 2 hand offensive rebound, he just finds a way to do it. What excites me about him, he had 17 and 11, and he's just scratching the surface. He got his FT shooting under control. Their pressure slowed us up a little bit. We made the plays when we needed to.
• When Maryland took the 1 point lead - we've seen this so many freakin' times, it's become ridiculous. I think when Nate made that 3, that was a big play. I always tell him that he's the guy that needs to show everyone that we mean business.
• I did think we'd go cold, I didn't want to say anything. It may not appear - but I'm a defensive minded coach. I want to get stops. We've constantly said "you're not going to win pretty." We have to win ugly, and we did that tonight.
• Biggest win? No. I know I'm young, but we won the NIT. It felt good. I don't know, you decide.
• We'd been on a curfew ban, I lifted that. It was the 1st question they asked…no curfew tonight. They deserve to walk around campus and not be ashamed.
• These last 2 months, 1000% made me a better coach and person, I hope I coach for a long time. When you lose and go on losing streaks, it puts things in perspective. When you lose, you get crushed. When you get crushed by the outside, you turn to your family and your team. Even when you win, the external noise shouldn't matter. These past 2 months has made me better, I never want to go through it again. If you have young kids at home - if my daughter asks me one more time "did you win tonight?" I was going to lose my mind. At 2am, one night she asked me if I won…and was like - please go away. I'm gonna wake her up tonight. Back to work tomorrow, but it's fun to taste it for a little while.
• On the court storm - I thought it was awesome for a few reasons, we had a good crowd and were 0-13. It shows you that there's a loyal fanbase that's starving for success. The students have been loyal. It was awesome to see to finally get that feeling. I'm happy for our players, and fans. It's great for me, I can start going inside to Starbucks, instead of going through the drive through. It has not been fun.

Joey King
It's been a rough stretch, but what a day to break through and get a win. An exciting time. It's been a long season, but we have a fighting chance every single game.
On the court storm - It was a blur for a minute, I'd never gone through something like that. We had that at Drake and there were 2000 people. The fans stuck with us.
When you're 0-13 you can shut it down and quit, we had a great week of practice, we knew our time was coming, it just took longer than expected.*
When they took the lead, we weren't rattled at all. So proud of Muphy. Dupree got that big time steal, and Nate controlled the pace the entire time.*
We're not the best jump shooting team, so whoever I can knock a few down, I will. Whenever the crowd is on our side, rolling with us, we continue to compete hard.*

Jordan Murphy
On making FT's - 2 weeks ago that would have been a different story
It was exciting, everyone knows that was a big win.*
On post game, did they jump on Pitino? We didn't exactly tackle him, but he was pretty excited, he was happy.
We have to play for Joey, he deserves to go out with wins, he's a really good player
That was a really really talented team
On the court storm - I was surprised that they did that, it was, wow, something else.*

Dupree McBrayer

Was that steal one of the biggest plays he's had? I put Nate in situation, and I had to get it back.
We were worried about everyone, it's a team effort on everybody
We never came out like that before, like we were here to win and nothing was going to stop us.
I ain't going to do nothing but stay in the house.*

Even Gilbert, except for one of the worst fast breaks I've seen in my life, was really good.*

This made me LOL pretty hard when I read it. That fast break was really, really bad. Haha.

• Muph hit those FT's, Dupree with that steal, Joey with those FT's, they all did good things. Even Gilbert, except for one of the worst fast breaks I've seen in my life, was really good.

I hope Minnesotans warm up to this guy because this is sooo hilarious! It really was awful!!

GL, the post game press conference had to be tons more enjoyable than the 13 previous!!!

• Muph hit those FT's, Dupree with that steal, Joey with those FT's, they all did good things. Even Gilbert, except for one of the worst fast breaks I've seen in my life, was really good.

I hope Minnesotans warm up to this guy because this is sooo hilarious! It really was awful!!

He does say some pretty hilarious stuff.

GL, the post game press conference had to be tons more enjoyable than the 13 previous!!!

It really was - and Pitino was on fire. He's always gracious in defeat and is really sarcastic and hilarious - but today, he was even better. This was my favorite post-game Pitino presser, I hope everyone reads these notes as there are so many great quotes!

It really was - and Pitino was on fire. He's always gracious in defeat and is really sarcastic and hilarious - but today, he was even better. This was my favorite post-game Pitino presser, I hope everyone reads these notes as there are so many great quotes!
Love the description of the interactions with his daughter - I bet she'll be very excited tonight!

The comments about Gilbret's fast break and about his daughter are classic!! Good stuff. Thanks GL!

Go Gophers!!

Congrats to the Gophs on a great win!! And Ricky was in fine form. I love that " I can start going inside to Starbucks, instead of going through the drive through. It has not been fun."

Dupree McBrayer

Was that steal one of the biggest plays he's had? I put Nate in situation, and I had to get it back.
We were worried about everyone, it's a team effort on everybody
We never came out like that before, like we were here to win and nothing was going to stop us.
I ain't going to do nothing but stay in the house.*

Coaches talk about his bball IQ, this is a very smart statement by a very young player. He realized he messed up, and if you watch the play over he did not panic. Trimble didn't take it into him as he had great position and looked in a stance ready to make a play after that turnover, and thats exactly what he did.

'Pree is a very small player and he play some tough defence against a lot of big time players this year. Once he can match players physically he is going to be fun to watch. Austin Hollins type player in that he's going to help us in a ton of different ways. This roster already has a couple long armed athletes, we've got 3 more coming next year. The court will shrink even more than it did tonight for the opposition as we start to fill out those jerseys.

Congrats to the Gophs on a great win!! And Ricky was in fine form. I love that " I can start going inside to Starbucks, instead of going through the drive through. It has not been fun."

It's Richard....Richard...not Rick or Ricky.

It's Richard....Richard...not Rick or Ricky.

He's a Badger fan. I don't care what he calls our coach- the nastier it gets the more we will like it. Now your point is extremely well taken regarding Gopher fans- who I'd like to see treat our own coach with respect. I have a feeling some of the little Ricky/ little Richard guys will start giving him a little more respect next year.

He's a Badger fan. I don't care what he calls our coach- the nastier it gets the more we will like it. Now your point is extremely well taken regarding Gopher fans- who I'd like to see treat our own coach with respect. I have a feeling some of the little Ricky/ little Richard guys will start giving him a little more respect next year.

Fair point.

I sure hope so.

I sure hope so.
So Dick Pit is out-of-bounds again?

GREAT WIN!

Here's some perspective: Last time I stormed the floor, I shook hands with Kevin Nathaniel. (My buddy refused to storm vs Indiana.) Good times.

Great, Great Win!

One thing that has been a continued question about Pitino's coaching style is he lets his players continuously take bad shots without making them ride the pine. In some ways I think it has helped to eliminate turnovers. But it hasn't reduced the number of times Dorsey is going 1 against 4 on fast breaks. Or how Buggs believes he should take every 3 he can get (he is 6-8+ with an incredible vertical, he can get the 3 over just about anyone). Or Murphy, who I love operating in the lane taking multiple 3's. The team is young but I with he was a bit more strict about taking good shots. I felt Tubby and the Tubby stare was the opposite. Players were afraid to make aggressive plays that might turn bad so there was lots of hesitation. Its all about balance.

Great, Great Win!

One thing that has been a continued question about Pitino's coaching style is he lets his players continuously take bad shots without making them ride the pine. In some ways I think it has helped to eliminate turnovers. But it hasn't reduced the number of times Dorsey is going 1 against 4 on fast breaks. Or how Buggs believes he should take every 3 he can get (he is 6-8+ with an incredible vertical, he can get the 3 over just about anyone). Or Murphy, who I love operating in the lane taking multiple 3's. The team is young but I with he was a bit more strict about taking good shots. I felt Tubby and the Tubby stare was the opposite. Players were afraid to make aggressive plays that might turn bad so there was lots of hesitation. Its all about balance.

We don't know what coach says to them in game review..

Great, Great Win!

Buggs makes terrible decisions sometimes and occasionally he does get benched for them. The other 2 are freshman, and those are freshman mistakes. I don't think that it has anything to do with Pitinos coaching style.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Great, Great Win!

Balance is the key word - you don't want players playing scared and afraid to take shots. These kids already lack so much confidence that goes with losing 13 in a row. I think he's a lot more apt to pull guys for missing defensive assignments.

Top Bottom