Post game Penn State - Pitino, Murphy & Lynch himself all most impressed with 0 fouls

GopherLady

Reaction score
Post game Penn State - Pitino, Murphy & Lynch himself all most impressed with 0 fouls

more so than the 11 blocks!

Here are my notes, not verbatim, with some video. Man, this team is so fun to watch and cover!

Richard Pitino:
• I think offensively, why we were pretty good was because we were rebounding the ball.
• Can you believe Reggie had no fouls? No. I can not. It's a miracle. 29 minutes, 11 blocks, and no fouls, I'll take that every night.
• That's why he chose MN, he wanted to play for his home state, to play for the name on the front of his jersey. I'm sure he's dreamed of that, walking off the court, and having the crowd chant his name.
• What's more impressive? 11 blocks or zero fouls? That's a tough question, probably 0 fouls.
• I think we can be pretty good. I think it's ok to say we're in the NCAA tournament, we'd be the 1st team to win 22 games and not get in the tournament. We're clicking, offensively getting better. It's clear guys are playing their best basketball and improving.
• We had a tough talk, I told him what I thought his game was, and he went with it. He's really evolved as a player
• People weren't throwing batteries at me, they just weren’t talking to me
• I thought it would be a big turnaround. I thought we'd really bounce back in a big way. As hard as last year was, it was good for Nate, Dupree, Bakary, and I knew the newcomers were going to help us. There hasn’t been one issue during practice, no meeting "coach, why am I not playing?" they truly care about each other's success. That's rare with young people today.
• Best crowd of the year. Our guys are responsible for that, with the way that they play, they attracted people in the stands. Winning helps obviously. More empty seats were being filled, I thought it was an awesome crowd.
• Biggest surprise? They've all been pretty good surprises, I always thought Dupree would be because he's young. I thought the newcomers would affect the team in a positive way. They don't care who gets credit, they just want to win.
• Take it one day at a time. The journey is better than the destination, don't worry about where you're going. You earned the right to play in front of a sold out crowd
• What turned this team around? Players.
• I always thought last year, we were close to breaking through, we had beaten Maryland, we had beaten Rutgers, then we had off the court issues we had to handle and it was tough.

Reggie Lynch
• We all knew we were going to be a great team before the season began, and then the 5 game losing streak happened, and we stayed connected and fought back. It shows how mentally tough we are.
• Honestly, the 0 fouls is more impressive. I know I can get 11 blocks.
• Anything you can do in practice to keep yourself from reaching? It's just a mentality, you can try to give up and not try to block anything, and I don't want to do that. It's recognizing when you need to block the shot and when you don't need to.
• We're all happy to be playing for a guy that went through a lot last year, to bounce back is something we're all very proud of.

Jordan Murphy
• We're really deep and a versatile team, sky's the limit for us.
• I think we have a lot of momentum as a team, they guys are feeling good and confident, I think that 7 game winning streak is great for us.
• I'm proud of Coach.

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Great job, Nadine! Thanks for the video, and you asked great questions!

Great job, Nadine! Thanks for the video, and you asked great questions!

Thank you - never know how much video people want, but been adding it more in the mix (it's also more fun to watch when we're winning).

I think seeing the video is great.
So who was the stunning blond with Sid?!

We're going to acknowledge that Reggie still fouled guys today, right? He just wasn't called for it. His last block that was a no call should get that ref fired.

But I'm more than comfortable with looking the other way.

I think seeing the video is great.
So who was the stunning blond with Sid?!

Great, thanks! That is his PT, she said that people thinks she's his girlfriend all the time. I'm like, poor girl!

Nadine = Minnesota Treasure

Agreed. She's my Gopher celebrity crush! :cool:

You guys are far too kind.

FYI - I found out how many guys had 11 blocks and 0 fouls, there have only been 5 others since the 1996-96 basketball season:
Darrius Garrett
Jordan Bachynski
Tarvis Williams
Mustafa Al-Sayyed
Alvin Jones

Thanks, Nadine! I imagine it's a lot more fun with a team like this for you also.

Love Sid getting his pen back at the end.

FYI - I found out how many guys had 11 blocks and 0 fouls, there have only been 5 others since the 1996-96 basketball season:
Darrius Garrett
Jordan Bachynski
Tarvis Williams
Mustafa Al-Sayyed
Alvin Jones
You run this list through dpo? There may have been some fouls assessed ex-post facto or blocks vacated.

Thank you - never know how much video people want, but been adding it more in the mix (it's also more fun to watch when we're winning).

That was fantastic! thank you.

The response by Pitino regarding his emotions about being on the hot seat...great stuff right there, and shows the effect that a negative cloud can have on the people in the program. He seems to genuinely be having a lot of fun these days.

My post game thoughts if I were Reggie Lynch's Dad, and looking at his stats? I'd have seen zero fouls, and asked him why he was not involved in the game.... (tongue in cheek).

Fabulous game on his part. I felt that they had many opportunities to look to him for post offense as well, but did not.

Nadine, thanks for the videos. You get a much better feel for Pitino's sense of humor when you can see the video responses.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Full Post Gamer Presser..

GL this is different than your videos... where is this one that you filmed?

We're going to acknowledge that Reggie still fouled guys today, right? He just wasn't called for it. His last block that was a no call should get that ref fired.

But I'm more than comfortable with looking the other way.

Oh shut up- every party needs a pooper that's why we invited you...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom