Post Game Notes

Bob_Loblaw

Reaction score
(1) RTB. Going 6-3 in the Big 10 and bringing the axe home is a successful season.
(2) Our DL showed up all game. They were consistently winning at the LOS and we actually were able to force the Badgers to give up on the run.
(3) Our DBs played great today (all of them) but Justin Walley is special. It's going to be a fun couple of years.
(4) Paul Chryst's decision to punt on 4th and 1 and then go for it on 4th and 6 was one of the most bizarre coaching sequences I can remember.
(5) It was fun to see Braelin Oliver out there today. He looked like 2019 Oliver (shot out of cannon at times).
(6) Tanner played great. The INT was tough, but he was on today.
(7) Our RBs blocked really well - - all of them (including LeCaptain.
(8) Refs were really bad again today. I think we probably had more of the bad calls against us (I'm biased), but either way it was bad.
(9) You know, the more I think about it, Jump Around is a fun college football song.
(10) Row the Boat

(1) RTB. Going 6-3 in the Big 10 and bringing the axe home is a successful season.
(2) Our DL showed up all game. They were consistently winning at the LOS and we actually were able to force the Badgers to give up on the run.
(3) Our DBs played great today (all of them) but Justin Walley is special. It's going to be a fun couple of years.
(4) Paul Chryst's decision to punt on 4th and 1 and then go for it on 4th and 6 was one of the most bizarre coaching sequences I can remember.
(5) It was fun to see Braelin Oliver out there today. He looked like 2019 Oliver (shot out of cannon at times).
(8) Refs were really bad again today. I think we probably had more of the bad calls against us (I'm biased), but either way it was bad.
(9) You know, the more I think about it, Jump Around is a fun college football song.
(10) Row the Boat
#
(10) Row the Boat
# 0 Walley was a pleasant surprise. As Coney Durr was 5 years back. Wally is going to be
a player for us.

(10) Row the Boat
4) He pulled Fleck on that one...

4) He pulled Fleck on that one...
Chryst said after the game that the punt team was sent out by accident. Then why not take a timeout? Instead there was a penalty and then he called a TO. Bizarre.

if we are thinking of the same play, i thought the nose of ball reached the line to gain after seeing the 1st replay
It was close but my problem is he turned his body on his own after that which brought the ball back 1/2 a yard. If you bring the ball backwards on your own, then it’s should be spotted where he brought it back to.

Badger fans were much more tolerable and sober today than years past. 2019 was the absolute worst. I think GameDay had fans getting extra trashed. This was a pleasant reprieve
I had ZERO problems with BADger fans today. First time they haven’t been incessantly annoying as a whole in the 15 years I’ve had tickets.

I mean, all they really had to cheer about was some Gopher penalties, as their offense left to its own devices was garbage. But still, very surprising and quite nice.

It was close but my problem is he turned his body on his own after that which brought the ball back 1/2 a yard. If you bring the ball backwards on your own, then it’s should be spotted where he brought it back to.
Yeah, that is what I thought. Had took a chance staying on his feet and has to take the loss.

I had ZERO problems with BADger fans today. First time they haven’t been incessantly annoying as a whole in the 15 years I’ve had tickets.

I mean, all they really had to cheer about was some Gopher penalties, as their offense left to its own devices was garbage. But still, very surprising and quite nice.

I wanted to act like the trashy bunch they are but I just smiled.

(10) Row the Boat
On 8, the bad calls(non-calls) looked fairly even watching on TV. They let the players play and tried not to effect the outcome for the most part. I had very few issues with the officiating.

(10) Row the Boat
I was smelling Fake, then it got too long to fake out of punt formation.

Did Steven Ortiz play at all this year? I know he was a big DB get in the last class.

As someone said, RB blocking was great. It was. On passes, WI often blitzed Sanborn or Chenel up an open gap. Our RBs, esp Ky and LeCaptain, didn’t wait for the block—they charged the gap and stopped/redirected the blitzer, giving Tanner time to find the open receiver. That is awesome contribution in a non-running play.

Last edited:

On 8, the bad calls(non-calls) looked fairly even watching on TV. They let the players play and tried not to effect the outcome for the most part. I had very few issues with the officiating.
I would like to see something done on pass interference calls. Flags are thrown on 50-50 balls or clearly uncatchable balls plus incidental contact. The purpose of the rule has lost its way. To such a degree that looking for a PI call is now in teams offensive playbooks. The only offensive points Wisconsin scored yesterday were the two field goals both of which were a result of extended drives as a result of poor PI calls on third and long. Sans those calls the defense gets off the field. In closing - the defense was outstanding yesterday. You could see that Wisconsin had to change their game plan to have Mertz throw more which he could not do effectively except for the PI calls.

That time that mertz in the 4th q and on the gophs 15 and the flare out TE was there and he threw the ball about 8 feet short. You don’t see that often

I would like to see something done on pass interference calls. Flags are thrown on 50-50 balls or clearly uncatchable balls plus incidental contact. The purpose of the rule has lost its way. To such a degree that looking for a PI call is now in teams offensive playbooks. The only offensive points Wisconsin scored yesterday were the two field goals both of which were a result of extended drives as a result of poor PI calls on third and long. Sans those calls the defense gets off the field. In closing - the defense was outstanding yesterday. You could see that Wisconsin had to change their game plan to have Mertz throw more which he could not do effectively except for the PI calls.
At least it’s better than the ball spot penalty in the NFL. PI is football’s most game-altering call, and too many of them are iffy. Worse, in a lot of cases, the offense initiates the contact. Even worse, jersey grabbing (which UW (and OSU) has excelled at for years) is rarely called, but is the most effective form of cheating to shut down a receiver.

Great game, our offense gave up more points than the defense...amazing. Great all around effort.

Watch this DL on film and you’ll see just how good they are. Very well disciplined. They may not get to the qb as often as we’d like but just holding the edge rather than pushing into the backfield too far trying for a sack every single play is what helped us from getting beat on the outside all season long. Excellent gap discipline as well.

Top Bottom