Post-Game (FSU)

One thing I noticed that maybe I am overlooking somehow has to do with the press. Did anyone else notice that in the backcourt the two players that came to trap the ball were very very slow to get there? I mean it was obviously slow like it was somehow intentional. Is this part of the press in some way? It just seemed like the ball handler had an easy pass to either guy on the sidelines and from there it was a 4-3 break.

I've been on this press thing since the season started because I LOVE pressure defense so maybe I'm just looking for the negative pieces sub consciously. Just want to know if anyone else noticed that.

I believe I heard Pitino say in the post game show that they intentionally did not trap as much against FSU. It seems to me that the Gophers were getting beat often in Maui when they were using what I would call 3-man trap. That is what I took Pitino to mean about not using the trap as much. I thought they were giving up points often in Maui while using the 3-man trap.

With regard to the 'press thing' my impression is that they are getting very few turnovers in the back court when using the press. I was starting to wonder if it was worth it to continue that full court press. However, I think some of the turnovers the Gophers are getting in the front court are a result of the relentless full court press. Once the offense gets the ball into the front court they continue to face constant pressure. This pressure takes it toll on the offense and leads to the turnovers.

edit: others beat me to the Deandre reference...and were wittier. [delete]

Top Bottom